2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle?? Heat Shield/Exhaust ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
damone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle?? Heat Shield/Exhaust ?????

06' F150 4x4 XLT SCrew 29K-mi

I have a rattle of some sort I can hear coming from underneath towards the rear while under acceleration. Usually hear mostly at certain RPM and not through entire accel to hwy speed. Do not hear it while in Park and reving engine, but on the road I hear it. Mostly I think after it gets hot or something.

No driveability issue only rattle?

While I was reving in Park I could hear a bubbling after I let off the pedal. Is that normal. I dont htink it is the same noise/rattle.

Thoughts/Advice?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
canstacker
Senior User
06 xlt screw had the same noise/rattle was some ice stuck somewhere, not doing it since it warmed up some. Also check your air intake, mine was cocked to one side and would rattle. Good luck..

Old 02-11-2008, 12:02 PM
damone
Senior User
Originally Posted by canstacker
06 xlt screw had the same noise/rattle was some ice stuck somewhere, not doing it since it warmed up some. Also check your air intake, mine was cocked to one side and would rattle. Good luck..
I did notice the intake boot was a little loose, but that rubber boot would not rattle like a metal sound.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
Check you Catalityc Converter heat shield. One of my spot welds came loose and caused rattling noise. Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
damone
Senior User
Will Do.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
damone
Senior User
Havn't checked the converter, but hopefully the dealer did. Had it in for rattle and other small things and they said they could not find a rattle, but found rocks under my skid plate. Yeah right, like that's the problem. It was however covered under warranty.

Towed the toyhauler to the desert and still had the rattle. Really sounds like a heat shield rattle. Back to the dealer I go.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I_am_fishbait
Freshman User
Smile

I had some rattling under my truck, and like you said it was only in certain rpm bands that caused the right resonance frequency to make it sound off. Went by a buddy's quick oil change place and looked underneath. Couldn't find anything. Called him over and reved it so he could hear it. About 30 seconds later he bounced out the three or four pebbles hung up ontop of the heat sheild. No more noise...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
Originally Posted by damone
Havn't checked the converter, but hopefully the dealer did. Had it in for rattle and other small things and they said they could not find a rattle, but found rocks under my skid plate. Yeah right, like that's the problem. It was however covered under warranty.

Towed the toyhauler to the desert and still had the rattle. Really sounds like a heat shield rattle. Back to the dealer I go.
Why not take 5 minutes and crawl underneath and see if YOU can find anything. Wack the convertor, head shields, etc and see if you get a rattle. Search for rocks/pebbles, mud, etc (I actually had mud/dirt caked on where the driveshaft connects to the rear end on a previous vehicle and it was causing a squeak) It could save you time and dealer hassle, if its something you can bend back or clean. Its much easier for a dealer to say they cant find a rattle then to actually look for it. I have also told a dealer I had a header leak (previous vehicle which were known for them)....but they couldnt hear it until the 4th trip to the dealer.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
damone
Senior User
Originally Posted by black04lariat
Why not take 5 minutes and crawl underneath and see if YOU can find anything. Wack the convertor, head shields, etc and see if you get a rattle. Search for rocks/pebbles, mud, etc (I actually had mud/dirt caked on where the driveshaft connects to the rear end on a previous vehicle and it was causing a squeak) It could save you time and dealer hassle, if its something you can bend back or clean. Its much easier for a dealer to say they cant find a rattle then to actually look for it. I have also told a dealer I had a header leak (previous vehicle which were known for them)....but they couldnt hear it until the 4th trip to the dealer.
I crawled underneath as you mention and found some gravel in one of the skid plate/cross members and blew it out with air and wacked on stuff including the cat, but it didn't seem loose.

The rattle was especially loud while under load (ie...pulling my trailer). I cannot reproduce the rattle until the thing is warm (makes me think metal not rocks in my skidplate.).

Went to the dealer yeaterday for drive with tech (the advisor told me to come in yeaterday). They didn't have any techs available. I was steamed. Back I go next monday.

I will crawl underneath again before next monday.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Sounds like since it's under a heavy load, it's more of a clearance issue. Try to brake torque the vehicle and see if you can reproduce the sound. With the truck in gear and foot on the brake all the way, slowly push the throttle and see if you can get the noise. Sounds like under heavy loads (pulling trailer), the PT rolls more and is hitting sonething to cause the noise. Could also be the exhaust as well

Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
islander1808
Senior User
Is your truck a 4x4? If it is it might be your 4x4 hubs trying to engage. If you have a vacuum leak that might be your problem. I had one and I got the rattle under acceleration and certain RPM bands. I had same problem where I couldn't get a tech to road test. I took it in and they said it was my skid plate... they said it had a huge dent and was rattling against something. I said replace it but hold on to it. I got it back and it had a TINY dent in it. I drove it off the lot and within 30 MPH I had the rattle again. The Ford dealer said a tech road tested it and said it was fixed. I was furious. They bold faced lied. I brought it in the next day an demanded a road test with a tech and for them to put the old skid plate back on. Within 200' of pulling out of the dealer lot the tech knew exactly what the problem was and had it fixed in 30 minutes. Basically you just need to demand to have a tech or the service manager himself take a drive with you. It will save them time in the long run of multiple service trips and an angry customer.

Sorry about the long post.... just stirred up some old anger.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 PM
damone
Senior User
Took it in on Monday. I was less than a mile from the Dealer when I got the truck to replicate the sound. The tech looked at me and said yep, that's a rattle. I said you need to hear more. he said no, sounds like it's coming from the underside (no *****). He said to go back and they would put some felt straps on and do another road test with an elctronic device connected to the straps that would pinpoint the noise (triangulation). I get the truck back at 4pm and the service advisor says the electronic equipment couldn't hear anyhting. "ther eis a very slight noise in the exhaust, btu nothing the electronic device could pick up".

I was pissed. I said I must have a magic foot, cuz it took me less than 1 mile to replicate. I let him know I was not happy (my wife made me apologize to him for my behavior) and they need to fix it.

he wanted me to wait another day to have the seat fixed too. I made an appointment for the seat and everything. he said the shop cant do that kind of leather. I said what, leather? It's an XLT. Those are cloth seats. I saidOK, I;'ll schedule an appointment for you to fit the King Ranch Leather to me seats, he says wait it's a White F150 right. At this point I am steamed and told him I needed to call him back.

I called him back and explained they had there heads up their azz and they needed to fix my problem. He called back in one hour and seat was done. I'm still pissed.

he said bring truck back when it is making the rattle more prevelant. I said it does it every time I go up this one small hill near home. I said get in and we can drive to Paradise and I will show you. He refused.

So now i have to drive this truck around until it makes this noise that turns heads upon every accell.

I told him I would hook up the trailor and bring it in. he said you may just have to.

I'm mad.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
islander1808
Senior User
I am telling you... it is your 4x4 hubs. You have a vacuum leak. Hook up your trailer and get a tech to go with you. Any time that you put the vacuum system under strain you will get that rattle. Did the same thing with my trailer attached. Wasn't as prevalent when under normal driving conditions. It would act up going up hills though!1

Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
beforeiforget761
Senior User
When I bought my truck (used) and took it on a test drive, I noticed this same rattle. The salesperson said it was probably a heat shield and it would be fixed before I actually bought it.
It was fixed.. there was a clamp that was broken on the exhaust pipe that comes from the cat. converter on the drivers side to the passenger side.
They put a new clamp on it, and the sound went away

Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 AM
true blue
Elder User

I have a slight rattle but it is a heat shield. I am very **** about noises but this one is not too bad. I will fix it one day. Every Ford truck I have owned has had the same heat shield rattle after a period of time. I cannot complain though as it is the only problem I have with the truck.

If it is the heat shield you can whack the exhaust system on the pipe with a soft rubber mallet to replicate the frequency needed to produce the sound.

If it is so loud that people are turning their heads it may not be a heat shield and very well could be the hubs as suggested. If I understand the system correctly (vacuum applied = 2wd no vacuum = 4wd please correct me if I am wrong) you can easily check the hubs. Place the truck into 4 wheel drive and see if the noise stops. If it does than you confirm the hub theory.

Quick Reply: Rattle?? Heat Shield/Exhaust ?????