Sponsored by:

Shocks, Shocks, Shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Bart R
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks, Shocks, Shocks!

I have KYB Gas-A -Just's on now, but they don't feel stiff enough. I'm leaning toward the Bilstein's, but would like some feedback on what everyone else is running.

Bart R
2005 Limited V-10

Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
XHunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the bilstien's sitting in my garage waiting to be put on, we'll see...should be a big improvement

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Bart R
New User
I'm leaning that way...

Bart

Old 02-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Magilla_v6.0
Senior User
I need some too...I got my X with a 4" pro-comp lift and lets say I am less than impressed with the ability of the pro-comp shocks. I am looking at getting some 5100 series Bilsteins very soon!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed a set of Bilsteins from http://www.shockwarehouse.com/ a site SPONSOR and at checkout enter code 'fordtrucks' to get a 5% discount!

I tow a 9000# travel trailer with 1100-1200#'s of tongue weight. My Ex had ~30K miles on her when I swapped out the OEM's for the Bilsteins.

Lets just say the improvement while towing is VERY noticeable. Before on a bumpy road I'd get 2-3 'bounces' due to the tongue weight and loose-ish shocks. NOW with the Bilsteins on that SAME road I'm lucky to get 1 full bounce before it dampens out.

Ride stiffness is not overly harsh...afterall this is a TRUCK...and my main use is towing with it...so I wanted a firmer ride.

FordCrusherGT (Ted) just installed some on his Ex in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...front-end.html

If you are looking for a more responsive setup...and since Bart JUST installed the RAS...I can say having that same combo...YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!

Oh yeah...one point of interest for you since you TOO have the RAS on now...that ~1.25" of LIFT the RAS gives you...will fight you when you get the Bilsteins...you will have to somehow compress the rear suspension with weight or be smarter than I was!...If your trailer is there...you can load up the suspension with the tongue weight to compress the springs...there is no way to jack your truck to compress your springs...the RAS improvment makes the factory 'banded' and compressed Bilsteins just a tad short for the bolts...you could loosen up the upper bolts slightly to gain some...but you won't in my experience be able to gain enough to get it bolted in...I used ~900#'s of weight in the back of the Ex to compress my suspension for the install...the RAS adds that much spring capacity!

Hope this helps...if you have any questions on that last part...let me know.

joe.