Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6637 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM
BOLINJORDAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6637 Question

Do you have to remove the airbox? There is something electrical in the box that disconnects. It has a small probe lookin thing on it. What is that, and is it okay to remove it. I dont want any codes to be thrown either.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you need to remove the air box, just the top. I left the bottom on. There is a sensor on the box, take the connection off and tie strap it to the brake line under the brake booster. You must be talking about the filter minder on the air box. With the 6637 that is not needed, the filter is so big you will see when it gets dirty. You will also need a 4" piece of 4" exhaust pipe to put between the hose and filter. I used a 3" dwv pvc coupling on mine, get another clamp.

Look in my gallery to see my setup.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
whjco
Elder User
The lead in the air box with the electrical connection is your intake air temperature sensor and you do need to leave it connected. When you remove the air box, just turn the sensor 90 degrees and it will pop loose from the air box. Then tie wrap the sensor in the vicinity of your 6637 with it still connected and you'll be okay.

As far as the filter minder, some guys drill a hole and connect it. I didn't on mine. The intake filters almost stopped up on my E350 van and the minder didn't even move, so I don't trust it and do a periodic visual inspection now.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If you drill a hole to put the filter minder in, make sure you don't get any little rubber pieces inside the filter for your turbo to eat.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pretty much think putting that thing in the end of your 6637 is a waste of time. It doesn't work worth a darn as it is, and at the end of the filter, it will be even less effective. I believe it needs to be very close to the intake tube to do any good, and even that's questionable. Mine is in a land fill with the stock air box some where in the FL Panhandle (where I was when I did the mod). I know some of you like the FilterMinder, but I thought I'd drop my opinion on it. YMMV.

Last edited by Izzy351; 02-07-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:09 AM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I pretty much think putting that thing in the end of your 6637 is a waste of time. It doesn't work worth a darn as it is, and at the end of the filter, it will be even less effective. I believe it needs to be very close to the intake tube to do any good, and even that's questionable. Mine is in a land fill with the stock air box some where in the FL Panhandle (where I was when I did the mod). I know some of you like the FilterMinder, but I thought I'd drop my opinion on it. YMMV.
Yep, I'm in full agreement. When I saw how stopped up my filters (the E350 has two) were in the van and the fact that the minder never even moved, I decided that the thing is worthless. It's still on my van but I don't pay any attention to it and visually inspect the filters periodically. When I put the 6637 on my Excursion, I just left the filter minder on the air box when I removed it. I figured it would be a waste of time to try to move it.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by BOLINJORDAN
Do you have to remove the airbox? There is something electrical in the box that disconnects. It has a small probe lookin thing on it. What is that, and is it okay to remove it. I dont want any codes to be thrown either.
You'll get the most accurate temperature readings IMO if you mount that sensor right here.