Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo needs bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo needs bearings

I installed a WW on my truck to eliminate surge. That all went fine, surge is gone. Housings look good, no damage inside. My bearings on the other hand show a little play and I'd like to do the bearings before they go out. Does anybody know of a good DIY kit for the bearings on a stock turbo. I don't plan on going big oil or injectors. I would be happy to rebuild my stock turbo to original specs. Any links on a DIY kits ?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
turbo rebuild

Has anyone heard of Ron on e-bay that sells the rebuild kits and will balance it for free if I ship it back to him ?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to inter4upt, but the ww came with bearings?? Where did you find it, and how much, I am starting to beleive mine is going to need some help here soon.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
I bought the WW to eliminate turbo surge. Upon installation I found that the bearings could use replacement. I can do it now as preventative maintenace or replace everything later. PM is always cheaper. No the WW doesn't come with bearing, atleast mine didn't. I think you can buy the kit which includes it. Some guy on ebay named Ron sells them . I was trying to get someone to chime in, to see if he's on the up and up.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard good things about the rods turbo guy... No, No WW comes with Bearings.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I have heard good things about the rods turbo guy... No, No WW comes with Bearings.
Ron on ebay has it with or without the bearings. It would have been easier for me to buy it together but I wasn't sure what I was getting into. Hindsight !!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock turbos are bushings right?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:43 PM
cdiddy
Senior User
I bought my rebuild kit from Ron on ebay. I was very pleased with his work and customer service. I you have a question just call him and he will be glad to help. If you want the new wheel balanced all you need to do is pay for the shipping. When I bought my kit on ebay I called him and told him to hold the kit, and then I sent the turbo to him. Very fast, he did it in one day and had it shipped back the same day. All the parts that I sent him were cleaned and inspected. I thought that I had a brand new trubo.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Ron's a good guy he;s been rebuilding turbos for over 18 years in dog years thats over 100 years or something, thats a ton of experience if you ask me. I bought my rebuild from him. Very pleased with it. looked brand new and was computer balanced. I think he uses a heavier bushing in the rebuild process for longevity. (sp?) I also encourage you to call and talk to him. He will answer all of your questions.

Last edited by pullinair; 02-07-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure it's not beyond normal specs? It should have some side to side play, as long as it does not scratch the housing when you are pushing on the nut. No in and out play or it needs a thrust bearing.