bolt on power

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
rivet96
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take thier advice, just drive the truck the way it is for now, put money into the aesthetics's of your truck or into things like brakes, tune ups oil changes, etc. If your set on bolting things on... just throw a free flowing muffler on.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
SR_Crewchief
Senior User
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
dyno says otherwise on the headers
Really? I presume your referring to headers vs cleaned EFI manifolds with improved flow down stream. Haven't seen anyone post comparison dyno sheets.

I'll agree that just headers vs just EFI manifolds the headers should show better dyno numbers. But, the dollar too hp/tq improvement should favor the EFI manifolds when replacing a log manifold on a carb engine.

I think we all agree the best first modification on a tight budget is exhaust. It can easily be taken is small stages. (ie manifold to cat/ cat to muffler/ muffler/ tailpipe)

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
5.0Torx
Elder User
To the OP: if you have a sawzall and $50, you can change the exhaust from the downpipe back to a free-flowing set up. I had a dynomax superturbo laying around from when i put loudmouths on my mustang, so i used that and just cheapo autozone exhaust pipes and U Clamps with high temp paint and changed my exhaust out in a couple of hours on my 83. It doesnt sound like the pockita pockita machine anymore, and the power increase is noticable, but then again i also adjusted my timing and did a tune-up at the same time.

And for christs sake, dude, learn how to communicate. Streams of unpunctuated consciousness are not cool. At all. im surprised you even used spaces...

Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
The_SnowMan710
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i agree w/ u guys, ur only 17, and i'm sure u've got college to worry about in a year or two? trust me, i wish i would have saved the money i thought i was spending on worth while causes for wat i'm doing now...college isn't cheap...life period isn't cheap...i suggest u get a job, save ur cash and spend it on wats important until u've generated enough surplus to spend on ur toys.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
The_SnowMan710
Fleet Mechanic
plus, keep in mind that u get wat u paid for.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SR_Crewchief
Really? I presume your referring to headers vs cleaned EFI manifolds with improved flow down stream. Haven't seen anyone post comparison dyno sheets.

I'll agree that just headers vs just EFI manifolds the headers should show better dyno numbers. But, the dollar too hp/tq improvement should favor the EFI manifolds when replacing a log manifold on a carb engine.

I think we all agree the best first modification on a tight budget is exhaust. It can easily be taken is small stages. (ie manifold to cat/ cat to muffler/ muffler/ tailpipe)
i guess its kinda of wishy washy. a friend has a 300 with cam, head work and port matched EFI manifolds with that ridge on the outlets cleaned up and said headers were definatly better. they felt stronger on the low end and seemed to pull harder through the mid range.

BUT i do see ur point with cleaning up stock efi manifolds for a basicly stock carb'd 300. as i said, kinda wishy washy on how u look at it.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by 5.0Torx
And for christs sake, dude, learn how to communicate. Streams of unpunctuated consciousness are not cool. At all. im surprised you even used spaces...
That's hilarious!!!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Capt_Aubrey
New User
game plan

Yeah, 17 can be cool...at that time I had a '72 AMC Gremlin X with a 302 V8 and a 3-speed manual. Fastest car on the planet from 0-45.

This is an '83 we're talking about? Close enough. I just picked up a '79 F100. Here's my game plan (and I'm a bit past 17):

1. Safety: this means good rubber, good brakes, good suspension. If you're not comfortable with any of these, get help. A failure on the road at speed in any of these can ruin your whole day. This is where the first $ should go.

2. Reliability: getting stranded in the middle of the night, in winter, out of cell phone range, is not fun. You want to know that your truck will get you where you want to go, and get you home. Take care of the stuff that, if it fails, we strand you: alternator, water pump, battery, starter (if automatic), fuel system. If it were me: if the water pump has more than 50,000 miles on it, replace it. Same for the alternator. If the starter has more than 100,000 miles on it, replace that. These parts are not terribly expensive and are relatively easy to install. Radiator? Get it tested. I've seen some last nearly forever, others quit early in life. Perhaps obviously, replace all belts, filters, and hoses now. Carry spares.

3. Comfort: when you live with a vehicle, this starts to matter. After twenty-five years, how much foam is left in the seat? Do the heating/cooling systems work? Decent sound system (you don't need top of the line -- too much noise -- but you need something)? Comfort and the ability to stay awake contribute to your safety on long trips. Every year here in New Mexico we lose a few young people going home from school because they fell asleep at the wheel. Let's reduce this as much as possible right now. These mods don't have to break the bank.

4. Performance: assuming you have the money and you've taken care of the above, do whatever you want. Much of this depends on how you're going to use the truck. I use mine to haul dirt bikes and (eventually) a small camper trailer to races; I'd like the zf 5 tranny and the powertrax limited slip differential. Reliabily could improve with an electronic ignition or electronic distributor. Maybe a carb and exhaust mod. Make your own list, prioritize, and do it as you have the spare $$$.

Which leads to the last unsolicited bit of advice: never go into debt for a vehicle. Not now, not ever. No loans, no credit cards, no arrangements with Mom & Dad. If you can't pay cash, either don't do it or wait until you have it. I can't begin to count the number of young men I've worked with in various capacities (coach, youth leader, etc.) who go out and buy a car, max out the credit card doing the mods -- and then find themselves stuck in a dead-end job because they have to make payments. Closest thing to slavery I've ever seen, and they did it to themselves. Not a good place to be.

I wish you luck. There are days I miss the Gremlin. Take your time with the truck, stay in school, and you'll soon be in a position to do whatever you want with your wheels.
--
Mark

Old 02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
The_SnowMan710
Fleet Mechanic
some pretty sound advice if there ever was any right here.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
losi_runner_13
New User
capt is right

Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by The_SnowMan710
some pretty sound advice if there ever was any right here.
I agree...Excellent advice Capt_Aubrey

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 PM
83maverickf-100
Senior User
after reading all these i must say i have a job. school lined up to jet jurneyman papers for collige trough work school is no worry to me. i make 500$ a month part time. the truck is perfect all new front end (undeneath) and shocks all around i have took everything from the down pipe off the truck and used various pipes 2-3 inch and a glasspack disipiontingly quit still for no cat and muffler, headers make it louder? and bought a new "baby 1bbl" air breather for it i am more than happy with millage now as i get 20-22 in town and 25ish on highway! i dont drive my truck with teenage foot i got a bagger 4L jeep for that.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:52 PM
ReadOrDie_DW
Junior User
If ya ain't got no money (or rather a lack there of of) you could always just hack the cat and muffler off and run a pipe from the cut to just infront of your passenger tire, total cost would be around $30, take note that you have to at -least- get the pipe to stretch to the bad of your cab and then down or you will run into reliability issues, and I -very stongly- suggest using clamps which will be at the same place as the pipe. Wire is a good alternative to welding proper mounts and hey it works. You could always replace your filter setup with a bigger one and doing away with the intake altogether (I did mine for $15 :P. Remove the smog pump and plug the holes also (about $10 for materials). You could also upgrade the spark plugs to a hotter burning one, except this will make you buy the minimun fuel for the plug 87 to 93 [should be noted that I had alot of trouble finding -any- 93 plugs for anything but the 302](about $50). After all this your going too have to adjust the carb and most of this you cannot do on an EFI as if create some problems. Either way, low budget, hope this helps someone out there :P.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
I would just like to put this out there. When I graduated high school, I got a job instead of going to college, I was making $500-$600 per WEEK! and I still went into debt (Only about 1200, but still) and took me three years to get my truck on the road. now, two years after graduating, I've lost my job, dad's paying for me to go to school, and I make about 300 a month if I'm lucky. That kind of money just barely lets you survive. I'm not saying you can't make it work, but you've pretty much gotta live off of ramen or mom and dad and save every penny you make.

Word of advice, in this economy, don't even get a credit card! you don't need it right now, odds are (almost every teeneged and early twenties guy I've known proves it) you will end up using more than you can pay off, and it sucks!

and please, my 14 year old mentally retarded brother types better than that! (I'm serious)

Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 PM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
whoops, just realized how old this post is, haha

Quick Reply: bolt on power