7.3l conversion, need trans advice c6/e4od

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 7.3l conversion, need trans advice c6/e4od

Hey fellas,
I am currently putting a7.3l in a 70'3 f250. originally i was gonna put the E4OD in that came with it, but i was thinking that it would be faster to put the old c6 out of the truck with it, like in the older diesels, my friend suggested that i should find a "variable vacuum valve" for that setup that works with the vacuum pump... it was just thought... or maybe i should just put the E4OD in. I am more then capable/willing to do the wiring, maybe i should just stick to that????? let me know!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The VRV can be found at a wrecker on any ford diesel that came with a C6 tranny, or a dealer if all else fails. The C6 is reliable in stock form, the E4OD is not as good, in stock form. If you want to wrap up the project quickly, than go with the C6 and don't look back.

The advantages of the E4OD are:

Wider 1st and 2nd gear ratios (you feel the difference with 1st),

Locking torque converter,

29% overdrive,

But the stock E4OD is not as strong as the C6, and unless you know the history of the trans, I would not put it in without tearing into it and adding some minimum upgrades. I run an E4 in my 86 diesel, and am very happy with it, but I made internal upgrades along the way.

What are your plans for the truck? is fuel economy or highway performance a concern?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 AM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
well i'm looking for a little of both, mostly fuel economy, but the occaisonal trailer. i would rather have the over drive to go with my 3.55 rear gear.... so i guess fuel econ. is the fore front

Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
David85
Lead Driver
The 29% overdrive and 3.55 gears are a good combo for fuel economy even at the higher freeway speeds, at 70 MPH, you are still below 2000 RPM (assuming 32" tires). This is a good summary of the kinds of upgrades that you should be aware of with the E4OD: http://www.becontrols.com/tech/ch6e4odinfo.htm

Do you know the history of the E4OD trans? If the transmission has been rebuilt recently, it may already have many of those upgrades. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on this, but you might also want to consider an aftermarket controller.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
Well I don't wanna soak a whole bunch of money in it. i was just going to put the wiring for the trans in and the ecm out of the donor truck. i belive it's a standalone because theres no wiring to the engine. the the trans needs rebuilt i will put upgrades in it, which controller do you mean? the only real upgrades i was gonna do was injector pump and maybe a turbo if i got one cheap. this is the first computerized repower i've down, usually i put 2 stroke detroits and allisons in trucks

Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
1967 Turbo 6.9
Senior User
If I had an E4OD I'd use it!! The only reason I use the C6 GV combo was I had it.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally I hate the E4OD. After the experience I had I sold the truck at nearly a 50% loss and will NEVER buy anything again that has an E4OD in it.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mattsautobody442
Well I don't wanna soak a whole bunch of money in it. i was just going to put the wiring for the trans in and the ecm out of the donor truck. i belive it's a standalone because theres no wiring to the engine. the the trans needs rebuilt i will put upgrades in it, which controller do you mean? the only real upgrades i was gonna do was injector pump and maybe a turbo if i got one cheap. this is the first computerized repower i've down, usually i put 2 stroke detroits and allisons in trucks
If it came out of an IDI diesel, then it will be a stand alone controller. This is the controller I was referring to: http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm

Its a little easier to wire since all it monitors is vehicle speed and throttle position, and its programmable. The stock controller expects an RPM signal and brake light signal in addition to speed and pedal position (it may work without these, but not sure). But since aftermarket TCS costs $550, you may be more comfortable with using the OEM setup if you already have it.

If you plan on ever turbocharging the engine, than I would advise at the very least, a good aftermarket torque converter, and make sure you have the ball bearing center support. And of course a big tranny cooler.

The basic platform of the E4OD is the C6, and both are sound transmissions. But when the E4OD was first built, many corners were cut, and it got a bad wrap because of it. Most of the internal upgrades, like steel carrier gears and center support, are in fact OEM updates, and just using the OEM updates would go a long way to making it more durable. Thanks to Ebay, there are many suppliers for these parts, and the prices are not as high as you might think.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:11 AM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
Thats great info! i was kinda wondering how much I was gonna have to do. i know i'll have to get the vss that has the sensor and the cable so i can adapt a cable to run my speedo, and i'll setup some LED'S for the MIL's i just wonder what else i'll need to do electrially