Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Pearlwhite94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission problem???

Okay i have a 94 f150 xlt with the I-6 and the e40d tranny. My engine was put in the truck about 2 years ago and me and my dad bought the block from the dealership. So i know the engine is in good conditions, but when im on a straight road and the road is kinda bumpy or "not straight and even" and i am accelerating the truck feels like it is bouncing in a foward backward motion. Also ive noticed that when i stop at a stop sign and im in a hurry and i quickly release the brake and give it gas(mildly) it feels like the engine revs up and then goes into gear. Should it be coming out of gear when i brake??? Also the bouncing problem, i began noticing it on this on ramp that has a crack on it and when im accelerating to reach hwy speeds and pass through their i notice the bouncing happens when the rear wheels pass through the crack. Any ide on what this may be??? Any help is much appreciated!!! -Arturo

Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
dreo2003
Senior User
the bouncing could just mean its time for new shocks.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like you are low on trans. fluid also.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Pearlwhite94
Senior User
My truck has brand new gas shocks thats why i said the bouncing feels like back and forth not up and down. Hmm a few weeks ago i put in some fluid cause it would jump out of gear when i did a fast "u" turn. Maybe i didnt add enough?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
fdude64
Posting Guru
you didnt check it when you added the fluid?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Pearlwhite94
Senior User
i did, the problem that i had when i added fluid went away. And i checked it, it was a little bit over the line so i figured it was enough. Ive come to even think that my rear axle is loose but ive checked it closely and nothing seems to be wrong. ANd since at a stop sign the tranny feels like it comes out of gear i know for sure my rear axle is not loose.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
fmr9
Elder User
Kind of sounds like torque converter shudder, and tranny slipping on take off.
Think I would service the tranny real soon. Lucas and others make an anti shudder additive that might help after you get it full of new fluid and a new filter. Be sure and drain the torque converter also. My local tranny shop likes to pull the plug and let them sit over nite to drip drip drip.
Good luck Frank

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Pearlwhite94
Senior User
I have some good truck knowledge so i can service the transmission myself, but to be honest i have no idea how to drain the torque convertor. Can anyone roughly walk me through the process i dont need very detailed directions cause i know my way around a truck. Thanks alot for the help, the trucks very old and has very high mileage so rebuilding the tranny seems wastefull, also cause it has minor body damage and stuff.....and im still in school so i will try to service it and hope that gets rid of the problem or atleast helps it.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the trans is shuttering on bouncy roads-feels like a slip-check the connections on the trans-you should have a large plug in on the passenger side-goes directly to the shift solenoids-2nd check the speed sensor on the rear-the connection may be loose-the slipping at a light-delayed engagement? that one has me worried-service the trans may help-converter should have a drain plug-just take it for a flush system /bg or the like-cost like $100 well worth it!!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 AM
fmr9
Elder User
Draining the torgue converter is not hard. Pull the little inspection plate and look up into the hole. You can see the torgue converter. Rotate the engine until the plug is visible. Just a small metal plug, maybe 1/2 inch? Unscrew it and wait.
The tranny pan comes off and the filter is right there and easy to change also. Clean everything well and don't over tighten the pan bolts. Real easy to distort the thin metal pan. While you are there, it is a good time to check all the electrical conections at the tranny. Probably want to baby this tranny. It is not a good choice for a do it yourself rebuild, and it is $1250 -$3000 to have it done.
If the service seems to help, and it has not been serviced in a long time, I would probably run it another 5000 miles or so and service it again.
Forgot to mention if the fluid smells burnt and looks brown, better start saving money. Soon you may be faced with the decision of rebuild the tranny or replace the truck.
Good luck Frank

Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Pearlwhite94
Senior User
Thanks for all the help, i have been doing some testing of things trying to isolate the problem. Before like i mentioned earlier in the post, when i did a fast "u" turn the truck came out of gear cause i would give it gas and i felt the engine rev but until about a second later the gear would kick in. I knew this meant low fluid because when the truck was changing directions fast the fluid was too low to keep feeding it into the tranny. I added a quart and that got rid of that issue. THe thing at the stop and the gear delaying i believe is the same issue because it only happens if i brake hard and give it gas immediately afterwards. So the delaying engagement is probably due to it needing a little bit more fluid. I serviced the tranny a while ago and the fluid was a healthy color (no brown or burn smell). So the only problem remaining is the bouncing effect when the rear axle hits a bump under acceleration. To describe the bouncing better it fells like when your driving a manual and those first few seconds before you completely release the clutch were it bounces back and forth. Mine does that on any bump when im giving it gas. Oh and also how do you refill the torque converter and with what type of fluid. THanks alot for the help!!!!!!! -Arturo

Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
ottawaguy
Elder User
fmr9...when you refill the transmission with new fluid. Will the torque converter automatically refill somehow?
I'm guessing yes...but just wanted to make sure as I plan a fluid/filter change as soon as weather permits

Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
fmr9
Elder User
Yes the torque converter will refill in a few seconds.
After servicing, dump most but not all of the required fluid in the tranny and start it up. Hold out maybe 3 quarts. Shift it in and out of gear a couple of times, and with it still running check for leaks and check the fluid level. Keep addiing fluid until it is about 1 quart low. Let it idle or slowly drive around the block until everything gets up to operating temp. Then add the last fluid.
When you drained it you didn't get all of the fluid out. If you dump in all the fluid at once, you stand a good chance of overfilling it. That is a bad situation. It is hard to get one quart out. The reason to let it get hot before adding the final amount is ATF expands as it gets hot. If you fill it cold, it will be over full hot.
Keep an eye on the fluid level for a few days in case of a slow or developing leak.
Good Luck Frank

Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
fmr9
Elder User
Pearlwhite
Your truck is 14 years old, and since you are driving an mature truck with high mileage and some minor body damage, I will assume you are not independently wealthy.
If you want this truck to last until you are out of school or longer, I would suggest you drive it like you are an old guy.
I know it is hard not to enjoy the power at your disposal, but if you don't drive this truck with some restraint, it will fail on you. Not trying to preach, just saying I've been there and done that, and damn it is expensive.
Wishing you the best of luck
Frank

Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Pearlwhite94
Senior User
Hey....what makes you think i drive my truck hard??? okay i do drive it hard, just like the feel of the torque. But anyway, yea im in college and very far from wealthy, i do want it to last me til im graduated but i also do have some resources to repair stuff on it. Ive been driving it for about three years now without it failing me once, i have a decent sound system and stuff but i dont think i can afford major transmission work. And im driving it because i inherited it from my dad and the engine is in excellent conditions(close to brand new) so it is worth maintaining it. Thanks alot Frank for your help and know that i take care of this little truck and i do push it a little but reward it with regular servicing with the best quality parts, so its fair to expect it to last me a while more.