1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only Highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Twelvoltz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only Highbeams

First, thank you to anyone who may be able to shed some light on this for us. We have a 96 F250 Diesel here that will not shut off the high beams. No matter the position of the high/low beam switch the high beams are on. We have tried a new headlight switch as well as a new high/low/wiper switch both have had no change. We have pulled the headlight bulbs out of the sockets and tried and the indicator in the dash still stays lit. Is there a headlight relay in this vehicle? If there is could someone give a clue to where it is because the owners manual makes no reference to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
Are they on when the switch is on also? I don't have any information on the '96, but on my '04, there are relay's for the headlights. I'd guess your high beam relay is stuck on.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Twelvoltz
New User
Not sure what you mean when the switch is on. Yes the high beams are on when the headlight switch is in the on position, regardless of the position of the high beam/low beam switch.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

That's my lousy typing. I meant to say, are they on when the switch is off.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Twelvoltz
New User
I appreciate the help, but no they do turn off when the headlight switch is turned off. They will not switch between low beam/high beam when the headlight switch is on.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

I still think I'd look around the various fuse/relay boxes and see if you can find a headlight relay.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Twelvoltz
New User
Again, Thank You for the suggestion. However I have located 2 fuse boxes/power distribution centers in the vehicle as well as 2 separate relays next to the under hood distribution center and none of these relays appear to have affect the headlight operation. The owner's manual did not specifically list a headlight relay in either location. This is what prompted me to start this thread, hoping someone would know if the 96 F250 used a relay for headlights and the location of said relay. I would assume it does as the parking light wire (brown) at the switch is a heavier gauge than the headlight wire (red).

Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Twelvoltz
New User
For anyone who may come across this thread with the same problem.

The issue was caused by someone who had hacked into the factory harness along the fender well. I would assume they cut into it when they added the plow setup. In this harness I found 5 wires that were cut into and put together later, very poorly. I cleaned up all of the connections, cut out the corroded sections, soldered in new lengths of equivalent gauge wire and all is well again.

Thank you for the assistance!