Power Steering gear /box

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 AM
iridium
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering gear /box

1974 Ford F100, 360FE engine, stock stearing pump and gear box

I know that to tighten up the steering box that I have to turn the screw on top of the box. However, I can't make it budge. The setup appears to be a nut with a screw sticking out the top of the nut. Am I just supposed to turn the nut itself, or do I loosen the nut so I can turn the screw or should the screw that is through the nut just be able to turn without manipulation of the nut?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated, if needed I can give some pictures.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by iridium; 02-11-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts
Losen the nut and tighten the screw. I wouldn't tighten it any more than 1/4" turn. It's not really meant for that.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
GPZF100
Freshman User
Is there anyone that has upgraded the box with another type? I have just replaced everything up front steering and suspension wise. I want to limit play in the steering as I plan to race my truck.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
iridium
Freshman User
Originally Posted by beartracks
Losen the nut and tighten the screw. I wouldn't tighten it any more than 1/4" turn. It's not really meant for that.
Yeah, problem is that I have alot of play before the pitman arm even starts moving when I am turning the wheel, and this is a new old stock gearbox so I figured that I just needed to tighten it up. I'll give it a try to see if it helps thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
IZZYAZ
Senior User
Is there anybody that rebuilds these gear boxes? I have a lot of play in my steering. I figured it was ball joints. Nope it is the gear box. Loose as a goose. I have read how you can adjust these, but if that fails is there any where that rebuilds/sells new ones. I've looked around at the sponser sites and non-sponser sites and haven't seen one for my '74 F100.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
iridium
Freshman User
I tightened mine up last night. It took almost two complete revolutions of the screw before the play started to go away. Guess the guy that installed this box didn't tighten it up before giving me the truck back (or did not know what he was doing). Anyway took it for a drive and everything works awesome now.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good luck with that, that's a scary thing to mess with.

I believe it is at the center point between left & right lock that would be the tightest or the most likely to bind if you get too tight.... if you feel a catch at the center point of your steering now it is probably a sign that you have gone too tight.

there is a very lengthy process that has been posted here before by dennis I believe about how to properly set the.... mesh load? someone with steering sector smarts please chime in...

all i know is, mesh load adjustment nut = voodoo.

taboo.

spooky.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
iridium
Freshman User
I will look for that post from Dennis tonight.
While my steering is tighter but there is still some play in the wheel (like instead of a play in the wheel of about 3-4 inches it is only about a half inch of play) so I don't think that it is too tight.

Also, before when I would turn the wheel the shaft going into the box would turn but there would not be any turn coming out of the box at all, which is why I began to think about tightening the box to start with.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy a kit to rebuild these boxes yourself. I have read however that there are problems that the kit will not fix, and are not addressed in rebuilt units??. I am thinking of the bushing at the end of the box.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
IZZYAZ
Senior User
The only rebuild kit that I have seen are for seals only. But a part like that I am leaning towards having it done by a pro. But, Masterbeavis, if you know of some other rebuild kit, let me know.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:14 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its been a while, I might be remembering incorrectly. Someplace I am sure there were the pieces available to do it right, knowing my luck they are now obs. (obsolete) This sounds like a good time to talk to somebody who knows about rebuilding things... I have no clue who to ask anymore.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you're probably ok iridium,

forgive me for asking but, does your steering shaft have a rag joint & if so have you checked that?

(belted rubber joint)

thick black rubber sandwiched in plates/studs/bolts, little smaller around that a beer coaster?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 AM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
yeah that rag joint creates a lot of slop once they go bad. i always keep an extra handy

Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 AM
LTAR
Senior User
Red Head steering builds the best box I have found. I used to rebuild them myself using the kit but they didnt last. Red Head machines the housing and installs a bearing in the bottom to reduce wear. I have about 25,000 miles on one and it drives like a dream.
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 AM
IZZYAZ
Senior User
That is the company I found earlier this week on line. Don't ask how I found that little shop, but I did. Just reading throught there site I was impressed. I was going to give them a call sometime in the next couple weeks and get one on the way if I couldn't find something a little closer.

Quick Reply: Power Steering gear /box