6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:39 PM
DesertRider
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.4 maintenance questions

I originally posted this in the SuperDuty forum, unaware there is a 6.4 specific forum. Now I have found it.

Just picked up a new 450 and I read the maintenance book. I have a couple questions.

There is no specific air filter replacement schedule (miles of time). It say go by the filter minder guage. My previous truck (w/6.0) had the filter minder and it never registered anything...always in the green. I changed it ever 30,000. I can't see that it would hurt (anything bu wallet) to change it, no matter what, every 30k. Am I wasting money?

It appears there is a separate cooling system for the turbos, with its own reservour. Nothing is mentioned about maintaining this system. None required?? The manual also states the turbo cooling system will continue to circulate if you stop the engine and while it is hot (right after a hard pull, as in a rest stop). Does this negate the practice of leaviong the engine running a few minutes if you stop right after a hard pull?

There is no schedule for autotrans flush or fluid replacement. Also, the diff fluid should only be replaced if the diff was submerged in water or a leak is evedent. I would change the trans fluid/filter at least every 50k and the diff every 100k.

Thanks for any comments. (please indicate if you are gioving your opinon, or you are a certified technician giving advice/comments). I appreciate ALL comments, but I consider tecnicians advice differently.

BTW, this is a JOB3 truck and has a few new "features" like autoshutdown after 5 min. And I get messages when the DPF is in regen, or wants to go into regen.
Thanks again

Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
tgene
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, this is a JOB3 truck and has a few new "features" like autoshutdown after 5 min. And I get messages when the DPF is in regen, or wants to go into regen.
Thanks again[/QUOTE]

I wonder if a job 2 owner could get a flash to obtain the feature of "DPF is in regen, or wants to go into regen". That sure would be nice... gene

Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
The air filter just depends on where the truck is used. The filters can hold 3 pounds of dirt so replacement every 50-60k seems to be the norm.