Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Eliminating Center Support?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eliminating Center Support?

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a custom made drive shaft that is done is such a way that would get rid of several problems. Such as the carrier bearing, 2 U-joints and the always needs service spline?

Old 01-27-2008, 07:28 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a custom made drive shaft that is done is such a way that would get rid of several problems. Such as the carrier bearing, 2 U-joints and the always needs service spline?
yes i have..but from what i was told the center bearing gives you better TQ at the rear wheels..

Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Okay, I am not interested in any towing. What I am looking for is a vibration free ride and have felt that ever since I have had my truck that my driveshaft is a problem area. I have seen far longer driveshafts in front engine RV's, so I know it can be done. Last month I had to replace 2 U-joints and there was a slight improvement. But now that it has all come out again to have the tranny gone through the very annoying vibration is back. Maybe worse than ever. Can't take it back and complain very well because the transmission was done more or less as a favor from a pal.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
This torque deal is a "physics?" deal I have never understood. I know that the longer extension you have on a impact wrench or rachet the less turning power you have reaching whatever you are trying to turn. Why? High school is as far as I ever made it as Viet Nam and then wife and children got in the way.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i never unstood it ether.. i also have never tried this to see just how much you do loose..i have heard of people doing this with shafts..but they take thruck though mud and want to take away all the weak links...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
i never unstood it ether.. i also have never tried this to see just how much you do loose..i have heard of people doing this with shafts..but they take thruck though mud and want to take away all the weak links...
I'm going to look into it this week. Back when I was drag racing I was able to have high quality driveshafts custom made for not a whole lot of money. Whatever I find and decide to do I will report here. I would like to hear from a member here that has done this as it seems like a real good, fairly inexpensive way to get rid of a few problems.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
that would be nice..id like to know just what and how much you loose...or gain...

is that supporter logo new ???

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
anon
Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
that would be nice..id like to know just what and how much you loose...or gain...

is that supporter logo new ???
Yes to the logo, I explained about it in the Club FTE forum. A very kind and generous member here opted to buy it for me. He is well known here and wants to remain anonymous. So the best I can do is thank him and ask God to bless him.

Last edited by Markadeck; 01-27-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
AustinS went through this with his truck, I remember reading, and it ended up being the angle of the differential that was the cause of the vibration. He had to change the spring blocks to fix it.
Try running a search on that name and see what you come up with.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Yes to the logo, I explained about it in the Club FTE forum. A very kind and generous member here opted to buy it for me. He is well known here and wants to remain unknown. So the best I can do is thank him and ask God to bless him.
there is many here im sure that could have and would have done it..there are so many guy's and gal's on this site that's willing and do help others out..god has blessed us with this awsome site..very nice of that guy to do for you..welcome to the add free FTE...

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
AustinS went through this with his truck, I remember reading, and it ended up being the angle of the differential that was the cause of the vibration. He had to change the spring blocks to fix it.
Try running a search on that name and see what you come up with.
I went through this situation back in my wild and crazy all out offroad 4 wheeling days. I had raised the truck so much that the geometry was all out of whack. But my sedate truck of today is just a 147" WB 2WD so it had not occurred to me that this may be a problem. Could it be? Seems to me years ago we just fixed my 4 x 4 with nothing more complicated than a straight line. But because of the center support that trick will not work with my present truck.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Ok. ................

Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I just went through 200 AustinS posts without finding what I am looking for. I gave up for now. Maybe he will pop in here and guide me in the right direction.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
So you are inquiring about a custom made one piece driveshaft?

They can only be made to a certain length, and need to be made out of heavier/bigger tubing to prevent them from whipping around at high speeds. Lots of lifted 4x4 guys have them built.
I've never been a fan of them, and run a custom 2 piece with a CV after the carrier bearing.

On a stock height 2wd truck...I don't know. Is your carrier bearing worn out?
If the vibration started on it's own and the height the truck didn't change....sound like something is worn out, especially with that amount of miles.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Carrier bearing is about 18 months old. Had it replaced hoping it was the vibration and it was not. Had the 2 rear most u-joints replaced about a month ago. That seemed to make it better. But now that the driveshaft has been taken out last week and replaced along with the tranny the vibration is back worse than ever.

Quick Reply: Eliminating Center Support?