6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skirk55
Every time when I have read about a mod to my 2005 F350 diesel I can never get a straight answer. Some people it is ok some people not good. Why can't there be a yes or no! I read about mufflers getting better MPG so I fell for it.I installed a Flow Master on my F250 gasser and lost MPG and bottom end. I read a chip will improve power and mpg with my 5.4 gasser. So I purchased one any change? I lost 300 bucks! I unplug my ERG Valve and people said better turbo, more power and better mpg. I did it and the thing made no difference. When the motor idled it was louder that and my MPG went down 2 ! I have to question peoples results. It has to be yes it improved it or no it was worse. Come on FACTS FACTS FACTS This is starting to reduce my trust in what I read. I do not mean to insult anyone please do not take this the wrong way but I gust can not believe the difference of opinion on this.
there are way too many variables that can affect the results so you will get many different answers. some people have different driving habits, so they will see different results. For me personally i unplugged my EGR (04) and never really noticed much difference in power, i drive with a lead foot so it's hard for me to get MPG results, i'm usually in the neighborhood of 10MPG no matter what i do.
you cannot compare gassers to diesels either, of course a huge open exhaust will lose some low end torque on a gasser, but a turbo diesel does not need any backpressure after the turbo itself. chip ? again gassers are different, the cool thing about diesel performance is that the more HP you gain, you will usually see a RISE in MPG, not so true with gassers. The reason most people don't realize this is because with their newfound power or exhaust note they tend to be a little harder on the go pedal and that's why they're not seeing the increased fuel mileage right away.. everyone is different, if my ol' lady was driving my truck every day it would probably get 16mpg, but i drive different. also there are subtle changes in turbo specs and PCM programming between the different years, so unfortunately there is no black and white answer to your questions..
try it , if you dont like it then go back ... only way to know is to do it.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by skirk55
Your facts are not 100%. I never expected to get good mpg with this truck but it is much better than a 5.4. Larger exhaust system has added problems also. Removing the cat has bad effect on turbo! Tuner will blow head gasket. If the larger exhaust improved mpg Ford would have changed it years ago. I lifted my truck and put larger tires on it and I have to say it is much better than stock. But because of roll over problems trucks and suv's are low to the ground. It is easy to say that every action has a reaction. My trans is a little warmer now but I get the trans fluid changed every 15,000 miles for $130.00 each time that is worth the cost. Oh I almost forgot the after market air filters every body paid $$$$ for studies show the the stock air filter was better! Yes I purchased a K&N for my 5.4 no change in HP , MPG or anything. But it had a good sound. If you boost HP on a 6.0 you must be willing to pay for it down the road. I would rather put lower gears in than all of that add on HP stuff. You all better do some research on the problems with quick HP fix. Why is it that your dealer will void your warranty if you use a tuner? Why can't you purchase a tuner at your local ford dealer? Facts Facts Facts not sarcastic comments. If you can show me proof that a tuner and exhaust will improve the longevity of my truck than I will buy one. I removed my muffler and it sounds good but there was no change in EGT. I pull a trailer and had one installed. I was going to purchase a tuner so I had the gauge installed. Just tired of the B%^^ S(*^ and just decided to put it on hold until I see some positive results
dude.. why the heck do you keep bringing up your gasser ??? seriously it has NOTHING to do with these conversations...do you want to discuss the 6.0 or not ?? do you have a tuner now ?? list all your mods so we know how to answer your questions with some details...
removing the cat has NO bad effect on the turbo, quite the opposite especially if you are tuned. Tuner will blow head gasket ?? stock trucks have been known to blow hg, you either get a good one or not. my truck made over 400RWHP with stock head bolts before i studded it. It is not cost effective for ford to put a large exhaust on from the factory. Ford also has to comply with noise regulations and NVH limits and epa stuff that is the reason they have the exhaust they do. No need to change your trans fluid that often, MerconSP from ford is fully synthetic already and can handle the temps that normal atf cannot. who's doing all these tranny flushes for you ?? are they using genuine merconSP ?? oh you almost the a/m air filters everyone buys..that's because they read magazines and believe everything they see. and they like to buy things that aren't stock. my truck can put 500 HPto the ground, and i have a stock intake on it. we better do research on quick HP fixes ?? there aren't any except tuners , and nothing about my HP is was a quick fix. i've done my research, i've built my motor from the ground up (actually matt built it) i know what's involved. and i have no doubt that my engine will run for many many miles.. there are limits to a stock motor. ford doesnt sell tuners because they already have the 6.0 making 100HP more than IH designed it to. of course you didn't see a change in EGT's w/no muffler because you're not making that much heat anyway.. once you start making real HP you will notice the benefits of less restrictive exhaust. i can easily reach 1500+ degrees w/no cat or muffler and i easily lost 200degrees when my cat disappeared

Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
johnperdeye
Senior User
well after getting my truck back...after what i thought was injector problems it turned out to be egr again second one in 30,000 miles does it work to just pull these out and clean them or is unplugging them the better choice

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
4DPLAY
New User
Talking

Just unplugged mine (late 03). Better starts, faster spool and feels like more power. 50 miles now and no engine light. Thanks guys!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by johnperdeye
well after getting my truck back...after what i thought was injector problems it turned out to be egr again second one in 30,000 miles does it work to just pull these out and clean them or is unplugging them the better choice
Some (well, few) folks clean the EGR Valve as a matter of normal maintenance when they change their oil. Others just pull the plug.

I had great results with my '04 by pulling the plug. But, again, it is a personal choice.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
johnperdeye
Senior User
did u tell and mpg difference i have heard yes and no

Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
I could not isolate and measure enhanced MPG with any degree of accuracy as I also started using a quality fuel conditioner at, or about, the same time. Then sometime after that I loaded up a programmer.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
johnperdeye
Senior User
i might try it but since its new egr i guess i can wait a lil bit

Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Now is the best time to disable it then. This way you are assured that the gate is completely closed and that is not stuck open, to any degree, due to soot and / or other contaminates.

Remember, be sure your ignition key is in the off position before removing the plug. Again, just to make sure the gate remains closed.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
johnperdeye
Senior User
wow just did it spool up is a noticeable difference

Old 01-25-2008, 04:01 PM
skirk55
Elder User
Thank you for the help!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
johnperdeye
Senior User
yea thanks for the help

Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM
drakul20us
Senior User
Before you guys go on unpluging your EGRs, DON'T. If you just unplug it, the exhaust still flows into the cooler and if it gets too hot, the solder will melt down and you will need a new EGR cooler. The better option is to get a sneaky pipe or a block off plate, depending on your truck's year.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine is an 05
haven't cleaned nor touched the egr
thinking about pulling and cleaning- accoridng to the thread sticky posted above, this is not a difficult job.
I have a parts cleaner and some spare time- i wonder what it will look like at 75K with never cleaning.
most of my miles are highway miles but lately my daughters been driving it. I suspect the short burst and heavy foot may create issues I did not have.
i still want to do the muffler delete but 1 thing at a time

Old 01-25-2008, 06:09 PM
drakul20us
Senior User
Originally Posted by 94ruck
I have a parts cleaner and some spare time- i wonder what it will look like at 75K with never cleaning.
Make sure you take some pics and post them in your gallery. I actually need to clean mine as well and I'd like to see how it's done before I go ripping anything out.

Quick Reply: EGR disconnect?