6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
skirk55
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you clean the ERG Valve try Diesel Kleen. This melts the carbon away fast. Watch the o-rings. Not bad to do after you remove the valve!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you will look in the 6.0 tech folder you will find it there already.

In fact, you will find much info there.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 06 model. Talked to my mechanic today about this exact issue in this thread, eliminating the EGR valve. He was telling me that there was no way that he knew of to eliminate the EGR valve without the computer knowing and going into limp mode. If you blocked off the intake to the EGR the computer would wonder why the EGR wasn't getting hot and why the air flow wasn't showing any change in the air flow sensor and go into limp mode, etc. In other words each system checks and balances itself. Tell me what is the "proper way" or "the correct number and order of steps" to go about eliminating this from the system and keeping the computer in the dark so it doesn't go into limp mode. Even the ford mechanic says it ( the EGR valve) is a piece of junk he doesn't like but we have to meet regulations. Any other info you need on my truck for a response?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fandini
I have an 06 model. Talked to my mechanic today about this exact issue in this thread, eliminating the EGR valve. He was telling me that there was no way that he knew of to eliminate the EGR valve without the computer knowing and going into limp mode. If you blocked off the intake to the EGR the computer would wonder why the EGR wasn't getting hot and why the air flow wasn't showing any change in the air flow sensor and go into limp mode, etc. In other words each system checks and balances itself. Tell me what is the "proper way" or "the correct number and order of steps" to go about eliminating this from the system and keeping the computer in the dark so it doesn't go into limp mode. Even the ford mechanic says it ( the EGR valve) is a piece of junk he doesn't like but we have to meet regulations. Any other info you need on my truck for a response?
yes unfortunately your 06 has sensors that will notice when the EGR is unplugged, and when there is improper egr flow. the only way i know of to delete the EGR w/out a CEL is to get an SCT and have the egr system disabled in the software, but as mentioned above, it's a good idea to block off the exhaust flow into the cooler w/sneaky pipe (yours has a scoop) because high EGT (if you are stock, you wont make as much heat, but with sct you can) can heat up the cooler enough to either melt the solder or even "flash boil" the coolant going thru it and you could have puking issues. i have an 04 so it was easier i just installed a freezeplug in my up pipe, and elimintated the egr system altogether.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't want to add a tuner and void my warranty. Can you just use the tuner to delete the egr function and not add any performance mods?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 AM
blong2107
Senior User
LvTitan

i have an 04 also so how much did the freeze plug run u and where from?... been thinkin bout eliminating mine but was unsure of computer noticing did yours or did the plug just eliminate it with no problems?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:32 AM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fandini
I don't want to add a tuner and void my warranty. Can you just use the tuner to delete the egr function and not add any performance mods?
if you want to get "technical" and split hairs, the very presence of a tuner being installed on your vehicle is a no no... so if you're scared of having one, then dont have one..

but yes, you could get an SCT from matt and have him program it for better shifting, no egr, and better economy without ever adding enough HP to hurt your motor... keep in mind that even stock vehicles have issues

Old 01-26-2008, 02:33 AM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blong2107
LvTitan

i have an 04 also so how much did the freeze plug run u and where from?... been thinkin bout eliminating mine but was unsure of computer noticing did yours or did the plug just eliminate it with no problems?
you can simply unplug yours with no worries about a CEL unless you have a california model. you have to ask matt about the size, as it was kinda complicated.
he took a freeze plug and modified it to fit better (smacked it with a hammer) and it was a perfect fit. not sure of size you'd have to ask him.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM
blong2107
Senior User
you can simply unplug yours with no worries about a CEL unless you have a california model. you have to ask matt about the size, as it was kinda complicated.
he took a freeze plug and modified it to fit better (smacked it with a hammer) and it was a perfect fit. not sure of size you'd have to ask him.

oh ok sweet thanks i wasn't sure on my yr model and i'll talk to him bout the plug... sometimes modifying ( using a hammer) is the best route to go haha thanks

Old 01-26-2008, 04:59 PM
drakul20us
Senior User
I have gone and bought myself a block off plate that is supposed to slip in between the uppie and the EGR. I'll be doing that sometime soon, I hope. Anyway, when you did block the flow to the EGR, didn't the computer throw a CEL at you? When I unplugged mine it did, got wiser and pluged it back in. Just don't want to go throught the trouble of blocking the ******* off only to have another CEL.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
you must have a 50state model, in which case you have to leave it plugged in. but being an 04, you should still be able to block it off, since i think you don't have "egr flow" sensors like the 05

Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
FORDSDOWNER
Elder User
Let me confirm, unplugging the EGR will not prevent exhaust gasses from damaging the cooler but, this is still even the risk you take by leaving it plugged in. A block off plate would completely eliminate the issue altogether.

Is this an accurate statement?

Also, I'f I pickup the EGR block-off plate, what is done about the EGR valve? Is it just left in the closed position unplugged?

Thanks

Last edited by FORDSDOWNER; 01-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
skirk55
Elder User
Thats a good question! Can't wait until I read this reply.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,423 Likes on 2,107 Posts
Block off the flow to the EGR cooler, heat kills the cooler. Weld the EGR shut and leave it unplugged, boost can open the EGR valve.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
lengineering
New User
egr disconnect on 6.4L

does anyone know if you can just unplug the egr vavle and plug in into a dummy just laying on top the engine on an 08 6.4L ?

Quick Reply: EGR disconnect?