Sponsored by: DP Tuner

transmission install tools and tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
elwood73
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission install tools and tips

my trany passed after 165,000 hard miles, bts is scheduled to build mine next monday, would like any suggestions on what can be done while the transmission is out and any tips or special tools that my be required on this changeover. thank you and semper fi

Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what u mean brian is not going to put it in too!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
I would do the bellowed uppipes, and an exhaust if you are thinking of doing something to it. Might as well put some gauges in it also.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 PM
elwood73
Cross-Country
already have an ats exhaust, that was the first thing i did six years ago, have a 60 to 80 hp superchip system chip programmer, fuel preporator, coolant and gulfcoast bypass filter system, i'll do a archive search on the bellowed uppipes, not familar with that but will look in to it, to long of a drive devildog to leadhill arkansas for brian to do my install, diesel fuel up and back would run nearly 800 bones i don't readily have that, i prefer doing my own installs just for the simple pleasure of knowing i did it myself, i'll let brian build the transmission, from what i've researched, this man doesn't play games when it comes to transmission's, he skipped recess and got to business, i'm more than capable of doing the swap and saving 800 big boy's for my efforts. semper fi

Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did this myself back in December.

I did ceramic coated bellow up-pipes from Black Widow Diesel. Warning - PITA as for me. I'm so glad I did it with tranny out. Just to get the old ones out, took a torch, sawzall, and cut off wheel, oh and a BMFH. Highly recommend doing this though while the tranny is out.

Upgraded transmission cooler as well.
21 Qts of Schaeffer ATF if doing the tranny cooler

Necessary tools. Capable tranny jack, ratchet type wrenches for t-case (tip from Brian at BTS), Swivel type impact socket (built in swivel to socket), long extensions, impact (not necessary but very nice), a good helper or two.

The transmission R&R was very easy. My truck is lifted so that made it nice. The up-pipes, I fought like hell with them, but do them.
PM if you want my cell #. I can still remember most of it. Just don't call me on the up-pipes as I'll cuss yours as much as I did mine.