Roush on order

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush on order

Found a deal and just couldn't pass it up. Got it for $4333 shipped. This comes with the supplemental kit for my 2007 F150. Inter-cooled and everything, it is brand new. Should be shipping today so I should have it some time next week. Won't be installing it right away as I want to do a couple other things and pre-assemble before I start the major assembly. Like getting the fan shroud cut, power steering moved, IC mounted, possibly in a different location that the install instructions mention, and the drive pulley for the S/C installed. I would like to get it the point that install will take a lot less time. I also have some thoughts on getting the PCM re-flashed at Roush and then pulling the tune out of it until I am ready to install, that way I am ready to do everything when the time comes, and my down time is minimal. I need to contact them to make sure I can do this first. I will post pics as I go along. If anyone has any tips I am all ears, can't wait to finally run some boost.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a good deal!

Tips:

1. Swap in a larger lower pulley (same pulley a Lightning uses). Only go one size larger. You don't want to run more than 8lbs on a stock 3v 5.4L. Not only is it going to give you more boost, but its a much lighter than the Roush pulley.

2. Call Mike Troyer after the install. With the pulley and his tunes you'll run about 60-75 HP over what Roush gives you, plus throttle response is better.

3. Go ahead and get gauges now.

4. If you're planning electric fan conversion, do it before you install the supercharger. You'll have a lot more room when you're done and it should help make the Roushcharger install easier.

5. Gap the HT0 plugs down to 35-40. Get an extra set in advance... (I can tell you where to get a set for $79). These aren't supposed to be gappable, but there is a very easy way to do it. Let me know if you need help with this.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Great advice on the lower, I have a lightning buddy I was thinking of hitting him up for the inter-cooler and I will see if he has the lower pulley as well. I already have gauges installed. I am hoping to use the Roush tune to start and then work on with HP. If that doesn't work I will give Mike a call. Please let me know where I can get the plugs for that price. What plugs come with the kit then?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
HT0 plugs come with the kit along with EVERYTHING you need... but you will be going through plugs if you like hitting the throttle a lot.

If you need a pulley, I have several, new in the box and I'd let one go very cheap - they aren't doing me any good sitting on the shelf. We'd need to handle that via PM or email... no sales allowed in the forums.

There are a lot of things that need to be done to the Roush tune that most shade-trees (including those with tuning experience) aren't going to be able to accomplish. For instance, Roush's tune has a tendacy to peg the voltage on the fuel pump. There are proper ways to decrease the voltage while increasing the available fuel but that's beyond the scope of a forum post. A/F ratios don't need to be touched - Roush has those dead on.

IMRC, timing, lots of things on the tranny and some cam control changes need to be made, plus a variety of other things to get optimal power. I've done a lot of tuning over the years but Troyer has installed and tuned more Roushchargers than anyone in the country. I'm going up there to hang with him (nice guy... funny how I've ended up being friends with someone who was once my competition) and do some dyno tuning. We're both fairly certain we can squeeze some more out of it, getting us up to the 410 RWHP range (stock was about 210-220 depending on the weather, and a standard Roush install around 328 RWHP). I've squeeze quite a bit out of it with a wide band and data logging, but nothing beats dyno time.

What would you be using to tune it? The SCT Pro Racer package? If so, be aware they do not turn all access to all the parameters you need for optimal tunes. Even most dealers don't have access to the "calibrator" level stuff.

Jusnes Modified, an FTE sponsor, has the plugs for $79/set -- about the best price you'll find anywhere.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 01-17-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
I will be sending you an email.

I am using HP tuners to currently tune my truck and was planning on using that to tweak the Roush tune. Thanks for the plug info, I will be needing them in the near future.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
If anyone is interested I see they have another for the same price.

eBay link here

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
w00t w00t

UPS man came today, and look what he brought me.

Let the fun begin!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We are all so very happy for you, you won't be disappointed.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Now that's BAD AZZ!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Soon you'll be sporting a permanent grin!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Thank you, I was tinkering around with it last night. I will start cutting the fan shroud and what not this weekend. But I don't plan on doing the actual install for a month or so.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I picked up the pulleys from the storage last night. I'll get back with you, will go through them to let you know the sizes I have.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
I picked up the pulleys from the storage last night. I'll get back with you, will go through them to let you know the sizes I have.
Lol, just sent you an email (before I read this).

Old 02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
Thank you, I was tinkering around with it last night. I will start cutting the fan shroud and what not this weekend. But I don't plan on doing the actual install for a month or so.
Well, I have waited as long as I could. I am installed the S/C on the 1st of March. The timing is perfect becuase I will be out of town for work the entire 1st week of March, this will allow the PCM plenty of time to get to Roush and back to me before I get home. I will begin the install Saturday, but have the majority of it done already. The inter cooler radiator, pump, reservoir, hoses, and wiring are already installed. The lower pulley and fan shim is already installed. The fan shroud is cut, the power steering pump is relocated, and all the gauges (including wide band, trans temp, and boost) are installed and working. The plugs are gapped, all assembly I can do outside the motor is done, and I have the oil, anti-sieze, special spark plug socket, anti-freeze, and filter already purchased. This weekend I will need to get the carb cleaner Ford recommends for the plug removal and a fuel filter. I am switching to Amsoil 5w20 fully synthetic and NAPA Gold filter. I also need to pick up two bottles of water wetter, one for the engine, and one for the intercooler. I have been thinking of going with a lower temp thermostat, what do you guy think of that. Since I will be working right next to it, I might as well swap it out. Also, the heat get plenty hot in my truck, I wouldn't mind if it was a little cooler.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
For the intercooler only use a couple of ounces, max, of the water additive. Too much will cause it to foam and raise intake temps. How bad will it foam...? It will practically look like shaving cream. Don't ask me how I know!

Personally, I run Royal Purple and Mobil 1 in my truck (all fluids swapped out) and use Mobil 1 filters. The K&N filter is the same as the Mobil 1 filter, but has a nut on the end for easier removal (not worth the extra money for the nut, IMHO). NAPA Gold are great filters also. While you are at it, change the fuel filter and the O2 sensors. Change the fuel filter and O2 sensors every 25K miles and oil intervals at 3K max. I also send my oil in for analysis every other change.

Personally I wouldn't switch the thermostat.

Quick Reply: Roush on order