Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Coolant Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
sloppyjoe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Switch Question

I am going to switch from green coolant to the red coolant. After I do the flush and refill with red, do I need to run a coolant filter or not. I have issues right now with cavitation behind the water pump, how likely is it that there are pinholes in the cylinders? I also recently had the heads off, would it be pretty obvious if there were pin holes in the cylinders? Kind of like how it is obvious that there is cavitation on the plate behind my water pump. Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis. If you have pin holes the analysis will show coolant in your oil. Then you'll know.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
sloppyjoe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but this question is related to another post titled "CCV Question". I know there is coolant in the oil because the oil is basically green. I have found cavitation behind the water pump. The main question here is if I need to run a coolant filter after the switch back to red or gold?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well , which type of oil you running, those oils look green from the box, and if you would have coolant in oil it would get milky and sludgy, grab a little of oil and than coolant on a small bottle, shake the hell out of it and see if how it looks like, im sure it wont be green. you should be fine, with you coolant make sure you test it for aditives. and if you would have problem with INJ cups most likely you would have fuel in coolant or oil in coolant cause cooling system is under much smaller preassure than other two. laws of phisics.

hope this helps...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
I am going to switch from green coolant to the red coolant. After I do the flush and refill with red, do I need to run a coolant filter or not. I have issues right now with cavitation behind the water pump, how likely is it that there are pinholes in the cylinders? I also recently had the heads off, would it be pretty obvious if there were pin holes in the cylinders? Kind of like how it is obvious that there is cavitation on the plate behind my water pump. Thanks
I've read about some silica sediment when using the red coolant. I'm running the red (Zerex G/05 Gold) but did not find any when I flushed my system last month. The people that do spend the $$$ and put on a coolant filter say that they trap some stuff for the for few thousand miles then their system is clean after that.

If I found a bunch of sediment when I flushed mine I probably would have but since I didn't find anything I'll wait a bit (and I spend a lot of time in the sand).

Just my .02