1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Need Advice on 2000 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
polcat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on 2000 Expedition

Got couple questions. I have never owned a Expedition but have owned 4wd trucks all ford of course. I am looking to buy a 2000 Ford Expedition 4wd. that has 114,000 miles on it. I am mechanic bye trade so I looked at most the normal things. Transmission oil looked good, Felt no slipage in Transmission, engine oil, and can't find any leaks. This thing has the A4WD so i figure thats automatic 4WD. Question on that, does that mean it is on all the time? Has anyone had any problems with thiers. This one seems tobe in imaculate condition. NO wear or dents underneath. It drives staright as can be. Has leather interior and looks like one person drove it. No wear on any seats except the driver and it even is not hardly warn. Just looking for some quick thoughts.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
MPBTim
Junior User
The auto 4wd is to come on only when the rear wheels slip.....With that said, if your RPMs are up...dont count on it.

But for taking off from a stop light or lower RPM things its fine. Mine works well. Im sure the reason for it not working at high RPMs is to protect he drive train.

You can hit the forums here and see what a few folks have issues with but remember...they are probably the minority. My own beast has 82000 its also a 2000 and have only the pinion seal and manifold gasket on the passenger side (seems to be a big issue) have been fixed.

Good luck. you know all too well what regular maint. wil do for your truck.

Enjoy.......

Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM
wbeever
New User
Sounds like a doll! Put it into 4wd and make sure the lights come on on the dash. Better yet, make sure the hubs lock up. You can tell pretty easily by driving it down a paved road. When its in 4wd and the hubs are locked, it will hold the road like never before. It'll also get about 4mpg less that before.
I've read a few posts about people having problems with plugs blowing out. I can't think of a way to check that except to pull all the plugs and look for inserts. Probably not as in depth as you'd want to get on a pre-buy inspection.
The other common problems are all pretty easy to fix, so not really worth checking. I'm talking about rotten/loose vac hoses, coils going bad, and maybe the idle air control valve getting dirty.
My '97 has a4wd, but it also has 2wd, so I'm not positive on this, but I believe the a4wd probably works the same on yours as it would on mine. That is, if the vehicle senses the rear wheels slipping, it will engage the forward axle clutch and deliver up to 50% of the torque to the front axle, as needed. Therefore, I would so, no, it isn't in 4wd all the time, just when it senses it needs it.
By the way, if you put it into 4wd or lo and it doesn't go into the appropriate mode, try pulling the fuse and putting it back in. Sometimes when they don't get used in 4wd ever, that will coax it into going back in.
Will

Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 00 Expy with 137K. I also had a pinoin seal go plus axle seals. Axle seals are cheap. the pinion was more. I also had one fouled plug that was replaced before I changed them all at 100K. I do tow a lot with this vehicle and has performed well. I have done all the regular maintenance. Change the tranny fluid when the manual tells you too. I can't say enough about this vehicle. Great product. The a4wd kicks in when the rear tires slip. Works well. If it is really nasty I suggest locking in the 4x4 unit by switching the unit to 4x4H. The A4wd will act up on you if the front tires are worn more than the rears. It screws up the sensors and confuses the system. regular tire rotation will elliminate this. once they are worn out get new tires on and you won't have a problem.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The Expeditions don't have traditional hubs. The axle is always engaged and spinning. I've got a 2000 as well and can't say that I've had a problem with axle seals. We replaced the pinion seal, but that took all of 30 minutes. We do have a trak-loc that is worn out but I just haven't had time to replace that.

The Expeditions are great trucks and will serve you well.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
broncobob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 2000 XLT, got it with about 45000 on it. Put a pinion seal (dealer took care of under 30 day warranty), a set of brakes, shocks, and a set of tires on it. Still looked and drove like new @ 99000 when my daughter rolled it (thankfully no injuries to people, but Expy totalled). Would have loved to get another one, but the wife wanted something smaller/better gas mileage (Mountaineer). The A4WD works like some of the guys mentioned, rear wheel slippage causes front wheels to engage. 4WD hi and lo on switch are normal 4 wheel drive, front wheels always engaged when switch is in those positions. Other than the fuel appetite, the Expy was one of the best vehicles I've had so far, if it all checks out it should last you quite a while.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
polcat
Elder User
Well// i went ahead and got it. For the price I just could not pass it up. Thanks for all the info. But getting from a individual person. I did find one problem wiht it. The crusie control does not work. Yes i have checked the fuse. Will probably get mor indepth with it this weekend when i have more time and sun light to look. Any you had this problem? Just curious.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
aba4430
Junior User
Check the harness connector on the brake master cylinder. There was a cruise control switch recall and until the dealers recd. the new switch, the harness connector was unplugged. This effectively disabled the cruise control. May not be your issue, but worth a check!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
polcat
Elder User
Well... I found that their looks to be a ne harness of some sort wiht a 2 amp fuse in it around the brake mastercylinder. I did find the cruise control controller unplugged right their. And looked to have gotten hot one time. Also found the controller unplugged from the fenderwell. So I bolted it up and plugged it in. Still not working, Found the plug to be corrodidewiuth green. Thinking possible the controller/actuator might be out. or possibly got hot onetime and shorted out. Their looks to be a new mastercylinder brake booster. and new sensor on the master cylinder> I am also assumming this little harness with the fuse is fords fix?..let me know what you guys think

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 AM
fun_suv
Senior User
If the harness on the speed control isnt ford's recall fix, unplug that sucker right now. Thats where the switch overheats and burns the truck to the ground. The new harness should have a blue sticker on it.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
madsonp
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by fun_suv
If the harness on the speed control isnt ford's recall fix, unplug that sucker right now. Thats where the switch overheats and burns the truck to the ground. The new harness should have a blue sticker on it.
I agree with fun_suv, this is what the factory cruise control fix looks like, if yours doesn't or you don't have this at all, disconnect it