Sponsored by:

EFI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Broncboy86
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI Conversion

ok so new problem. I have everything wired in and Im not getting power to my fuel pump. I have power to the eec relay but no power to the fuel pump relay. If Im right the red wire coming from the green connector near the computer, is the power to the coil side of the relay and the tan/light green wires are the ground. so then i attach 12v hot wire to the switched side and run the last wire to the fuel pump power. so when the key is turned of then the computer grounds the fuel pump relay through the two tan/light green wires causing the switch to contact and run the 12 v through to the fuel pump. but I am not getting any power. HELPPPPP. lol thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the green connector you are referring to the fuel pump relay connector?

If so, with the key on, you should have 12V to the red wires which come from the EEC relay. The ECM grounds the tan and light green wires to energize the relay. If you jump your 12V hot from the battery to the wire going to the pump, does it work?

If you can hear the relay clicking, but no power output, you may have a bad relay.

Jason

Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Broncboy86
New User
yes that is the connector. the relay is not clicking and if I bypass the relay and go straight to the fuel pump from the battery it works fine. I have the black with light green wire with the one prong plug grounded straight to the battery, so I think I have a good ground. if I touch a test light to the tan lite green connection on the relay and turn the key on I get nothing. but if I turn the key off it lights up.

Last edited by Broncboy86; 01-13-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:20 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There should be several grounds to connect for the ECM. It varies with application. If I recall, I had 5, plus one at the ECM.

Hook your test light clip to bat + and probe the connector with tan/light green wire. With the key on, the test light should light indicating ground. If it doesn't, check for ECM grounds. ECM grounds should be pins 20, 40, and 60.
If it does light, probe across the coil side of the relay connector and cycle the key. A multimeter is more accurate if you have access to one.

Jason

Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eec

What year engine controls are you using? Does your distributor have a control module bolted to the side of it or is there one on the drivers side inner fender?

On later model controls, the fuel pump does not get 12V to it until the processor detects that the engine is running. When the key is turned on, the EEC (PCM?) turns on (applies voltage) to the fuel pump for approx 1-2 seconds to repressureize the fuel rails. The engine will crank with that pressure. When the EEC detects ~300 rpm (pulses--thinks its IDM signal) that indicates the engine is running and then the 12V to the pump is provided. Thats the safety feature for collisions so the fuel pump will not pump raw fuel onto the ground if you crash and the engine shuts off.

You should check (shrader valve) the fuel rails to see if it is pressureized. If not, you need to momentarily turn the key on and of about a dozen times without trying to crank. That will provide enough 1 sec pulses to pick up fuel and pressurize the rails. Switching the key on/off is also the procedure if you run out of fuel and refill. Also check the inertia switch (If you have one). It is in the 12V path to the pump and may have to be reset.

If you have the old duraspark ignition that will not work.

If you are using a dist that does not provide the necessary signals , then you need to "fake" it out!
I have done that before (people who go to carbs have to do that as well). I can look at my handy-dandy EVTM and try to remember what you need to do. It only requires a simple jumper.

LOL

Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Broncboy86
New User
I think I figured out the problem. I have five volts to the TPS. and I have power to the red wire at the coil but no pulsating power at the green wire at the coil when you crank the engine. I also have power at the injectors and the fuel pump relay. if I ground and far left pin on the self test connector and turn my key on the fuel pump works. so I have narrowed it down to a bad computer. pin 22 is good too, that the pin that grounds everything when the key is on. which energizes the fuel pump relay. so I am gna try another computer. if that doesnt work then I am really screwed lol. thanks for the help