Sponsored by: Moser

Awd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM
ddl_cgy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awd?

Does anyone know if Ford will offer a 4 x 4 transfer case that has an all wheel drive function?

I know that there was a limited edition F150 (Harley?) that I believe was AWD only but it was somewhat derated in terms of payload and towing plus it was very expensive.

Both Dodge and GM (AutoTrac) offer a transfer case throughout their half ton model line that has an AWD position for somewhat inclement conditions (for example areas of alternating snowy and bare pavement, rainy roads when the truck is lightly loaded, etc.) plus maintain the 4High and 4Low positions for when you really want to slog through something.

I find it a pain to shift from 2WD to 4Hi and back as I'm always worried about the transfer case binding causing excessive premature wear on dry pavement and I certainly can't see my wife shifting the transfer case in and out as appropriate.

Thanks in Advance
Don

Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does have advance trac so it does have something but I don't know about AWD.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
What is advance trac?

Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
This is currently standard on the Expedition and other vehicles and will be standard on the 09 F-150. Heres how Ford described it.

AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control™) is a class-exclusive standard feature on Ford Expedition. AdvanceTrac® monitors driver input, road conditions and slippage at all four wheels to deliver torque exactly where it's needed. The patented RSC® system with unique roll rate sensor measures roll motion, then applies individual ABS brakes and reduces engine torque to help keep all 4 wheels firmly planted. AdvanceTrac® with RSC® offers added confidence in situations such as maneuvering to avoid something, driving on slippery surfaces, or even just traveling on uneven surfaces such as in construction zones.**Remember that even advanced technology cannot overcome the laws of physics. It's always possible to lose control of a vehicle due to inappropriate driver input for the conditions.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
ddl_cgy
Freshman User
AdvanceTrac sounds like their name for a form of stability control and traction control which probably uses brake application at individual wheels and throttle modulation to prevent a vehicle from spinning out/etc.

What I am looking for is some form of 4x4 that automatically biases front and rear wheel speed to allow for use on dry pavement without binding up the drivetrain along with 4High and 4Low positions (i.e. I'm not looking for a single mode only transfer case with permanent AWD like a Sierra Denali or an F150 Harley Davidson).

4High and 4Low count on wheel slip for differentiation around corners to prevent axle binding / wheel hop which is a result of both the front and rear axles being forced to turn at the same speed as they are mechanically locked through the transfer case. This is why they recommend that 4High and 4Low only be used on slippery surfaces and not dry pavement.

I know that GM and Dodge both offer such a transfer case in pickups. Ford probably has something that will work from the Explorer or more likely Expedition; it's just whether they're going to install it in the F150 or not.

Thanks Again
Don

Last edited by ddl_cgy; 01-13-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Missed a word and needed to clarify
Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
wire4money
Senior User
i don't know about dodge, but my chevy i had (2005 1500) had an "automatic 4wd" setting that was useless. It was a part time 4wd system that locked the hubs, then engage the transfer case depending on slippage detected by the ABS sensors. There was a good delay between the slippage and engagement, enough to make it scary to use. It is in no way a full time 4wd transfer case.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
the advaced trac is a AWD the esof switch has awd 4 hi and 4 lo instead of 2wd 4 hi 4 lo. at least thats how moms expedition is. it engages front wheels when you need them from slipping

Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
AWD keeps everything turning all the time. A center viscous coupling connects the front and back to give you 4 wheel drive when it detects slippage with the drive wheels. My wife's Escape has it and she is fine with it. I figure it hurts fuel mileage due to the extra parts turning all the time and would probably have more wear for the same reason. I much prefer to be in control like with my manual 4X4 in my F-150.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM
bluedevil3758
Senior User
i know the explorers and expeditions have awd , but awd on trucks never really seemed to catch on bc unless you can fully lock the center diff you would never truly have 4x4 even if the t case has a low range, plus more weight and more reduction in power through the driveline, thats why it will never match towing, plus all the wear and tear on the front driveline

Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
its not actually awd its technically automatic 4 wheel drive. its not power to four wheels its that it will automatically engage 4 wheel if it slips and needs traction

Old 02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I honestly hate AWD or Auto 4X4. That is the biggest downfall on the new 02' up Explorers IMO. Auto 4X4 engages even with minimal whell spin and will jarr the drivetrain, as it does on the new explorers. I like the setup on the pre-02' explorer much better, when you need 4X4 turn a switch and your good to go.

Seems people want to be in a haze and have the car do everything for them. Of course its hard to switch into 4X4 while your smoking a cig, drinking a coffee, talking on the cell and reading a newspaper while driving.

If Ford puts AWD or Auto 4X4 on a truck I will NOT be buying one. I like a manual transfer case and manual hubs. Reliable and simple.

You will get better mpgs without AWD.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dkf
I honestly hate AWD or Auto 4X4. That is the biggest downfall on the new 02' up Explorers IMO. Auto 4X4 engages even with minimal whell spin and will jarr the drivetrain, as it does on the new explorers. I like the setup on the pre-02' explorer much better, when you need 4X4 turn a switch and your good to go.

Seems people want to be in a haze and have the car do everything for them. Of course its hard to switch into 4X4 while your smoking a cig, drinking a coffee, talking on the cell and reading a newspaper while driving.

If Ford puts AWD or Auto 4X4 on a truck I will NOT be buying one. I like a manual transfer case and manual hubs. Reliable and simple.

You will get better mpgs without AWD.

Not everyone is as quick to put it into 4x4 when they need to. When my fiance leaves and i know its going to get bad or is bad at all, i put it into auto for her, she dosnt have a clue about it but i know that she will have the traction she needs to get where she is going....

Honestly you have to think about the general public and understand that not every one knows what and when to use it.

Explorers and expeditions are more for familys and what not, not really for off roading and being tuff, thats what the trucks are for.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
Not everyone is as quick to put it into 4x4 when they need to. When my fiance leaves and i know its going to get bad or is bad at all, i put it into auto for her, she dosnt have a clue about it but i know that she will have the traction she needs to get where she is going....

Honestly you have to think about the general public and understand that not every one knows what and when to use it.

Explorers and expeditions are more for familys and what not, not really for off roading and being tuff, thats what the trucks are for.
The problem is Ford didn't even make the Auto 4X4 an option, you got it whether you want it or not. Many people out there with Explorers and Expeditions tow and go up mountain roads and etc. Off course those models are not hard core offroad vehicles.

Too many people know nothing about their vehicle and thats a shame. IMO if you want to drive a vehicle in bad weather or not it the drivers responsibility to know how to operate the vehicle and its systems. If they don't know how, teach them or keep them out of the vehicle, its that simple.

My mom and sister know how and when to get in and out of 4wd and when to use it because my dad and I spent the time to teach them.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
wire4money
Senior User
i don't know about ford, but the "auto 4wd" in my silverado was downright annoying - there was a good delay between slippage and engagement. it was downright scary - i felt much safer putting it in 4wd when needed. it was definitely not as automatic as all wheel drive.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
its not those times that you have the choice but the times you dont know that are coming, like when your wife hits a patch of black ice, or somthing else stupid like that. and the new explorers and expeditions have the option of 4hi 4lo and 4 auto i think, at least the new explorers i have seen did...

its not a matter of what is right and what people should do, its what people are most likley to do. and most people arent going to know when to use 4x4 and to help that problem they gave the option of 4x4 auto....

Quick Reply: Awd?