6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel System.. FASS.. Regulated...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel System.. FASS.. Regulated...

So how many people here run larger Injectors, Stage 2, Stage 3 with the FASS System and Regulated Return?

Does the system keep your Fuel Pressure up so your not starving the injectors?

Would you do it differently if you could?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Todder
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thread....I'm thinking of upgrading my fuel system soon.

Well I need to install the 2K worth of parts in my room first. hahaha

Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
4x4Mark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've taken that approach with stock injectors to ensure they live a long life. I'll be ready for larger injectors should that be a direction I take down the road.

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The FASS by itself is a regulated return system although it doesn't deal with the deadhead system of the International motor. The correct FASS will more than feed what this Ford motor can use even with fairly large (200+) injectors. IMHO either do a lift pump to support the factory pump with something like the ITP regulated return system OR do a FASS with the rear crossover line. Trying to balance the FASS with a regulated return system is an extreme pain although it can be done with a little patience. The major benefits of the FASS are removing air from the fuel supply and a better volume of fuel to the injectors. The benefit of the RR system is a constant flow through supply of fuel through the heads. The trick is to have enough fuel return from the FASS to the tank and still have flow through the RR system.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
4x4Mark
Senior User
Not sure I'm getting your take on this. I've got the regulated return to correct the deadhead condition of the factory system (and ensure pressure to all injectors), and larger lines to increase volume. My Airdog functions as a lift pump - reducing the load on the factory pump, and fuel conditioner (filter and water/air seperation). I'll presume you were referring to the FASS as a replacement for the factory lift pump. If so, you'd still have the existing factory pressure relief valve/lines limiting flow to the heads.

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Mark--you have a point about the fuel lines to the heads. I'm not sure that they'd be enough to supply extremely large injectors, however, according to FASS the 3/8 fuel line is more than sufficient as a fuel supply for the motor for whatever you run injector wise. I can see that after studying the FASS fuel flow drawing that what I was told is incorrect. The fuel supply to the motor will be maxed to whatever the regulator spring in the FASS is. It will return aerated fuel to the tank regardless of what the engine regulator is set at. The engine regulator has to be set lower than the max pressure of the FASS so that you'll have return flow through the back of the heads, but high enough to maintain desired fuel pressure at the injectors. I am referring to the FASS as a replacement pump to the stock pump in this scenario.

Last edited by npccpartsman; 01-09-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
4x4Mark
Senior User
Thanks. I think the Airdog is similar, but I'm not depending upon it for pressure to the injectors, so I'll presume not quite as critical as when replacing the stock pump. In my situation, it just supports the stock pump with a good supply, and I can now at least double the life of my OEM filters; changing the cheaper Airdog filter every 15k.

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Actually the Airdog and FASS have very unique stories behind each as they are both manufactured by father and son and compete against each other. There is a FASS application as a lift pump also. Since the price for the lift pump was basically the same as a replacement pump I thought why have two and then have two to replace when one goes bad. On the other hand, feeding the stock pump with a lift pump will also provide an adequate supply of fuel for large injectors and still be able to use the stock pickup in the tank and not have a lot of replumbing to do since the pickup supplied with the FASS sucks. How did you make the decision to go with the Airdog?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
4x4Mark
Senior User
I checked into the father and son situation as well. I decided to go with the Airdog due to feedback on the bracket assembly that it comes with (very nice and stout), a little bit smaller in size, and the wiring. If I remember right the FASS needed to be spliced to the OE wiring for power (not sure here), and the Airdog is wired direct to the battery, but is activated via a relay that you can wire to your choosing. I think either one is a great setup, this one just seemed to make sense when I reviewed the install instructions for both.

The one drawback to the Airdog is that they try to get you to use their branded Stratopore filters. Price isn't bad, but I like options like the FASS has. I did find suitable Fleetguard replacements, but not much of a price difference.

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Trying to balance the FASS with a regulated return system is an extreme pain although it can be done with a little patience.
What suggestions would you have for someone that is installing a FASS system to work with the ITP? I'm picking up my FASS tomorrow from Bean's and was going to try to install it saturday everything willing, but I already have the RR kit on there and was wanting to run both.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
This is what I run. System has been working PERFECT for a couple months now. The Fuel Pressure doesn't even blink no matter what tune I throw at it.

The worst part about NOT using the stock fuel pump is that the FASS will lose prime WAYYY sooner than t he stock pump. The stock fuel pump has the factory return integrated into the factory pickup, which keeps the pump primed virtually until the tank is damn near empty. The FASS pickup will lose prime under hard braking at 1/4 tank.

~Brad

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ht=fass+150180

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by badbrad60
The FASS pickup will lose prime under hard braking at 1/4 tank.

~Brad

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ht=fass+150180
Thanks for the link, I rarely let my truck get below half a tank, so I think I'm good on that point. Thanks for the heads up though, I definately make sure I do it at half a tank for sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by tex25025
What suggestions would you have for someone that is installing a FASS system to work with the ITP? I'm picking up my FASS tomorrow from Bean's and was going to try to install it saturday everything willing, but I already have the RR kit on there and was wanting to run both.
Which FASS are you getting? The lift pump that uses the factory pump or the stand alone? If you're using the stand alone that replaces the factory pump you need to make sure it has the 65# spring (not listed on the website) included in it. When setting the ITP regulator under the hood you need to max out the pressure on the gauge and then back it off slightly to allow it to return a small amount of fuel through the regulator. Knowing what I know now about the FASS pickup from Brad's experience I'd personally go with the lift pump to supply the factory pump just because of the pickup issue, but that may not be a problem for you.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I went with the big one that they had, that way it allowed me to upgrade if I felt that need to deliver more fuel later on. Also where should I put the in cab fuel psi gauge? Keep it on the ITP kit?

Last edited by tex25025; 01-10-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Gauge on the ITP kit is for regulating.. I don't think you can remove it.. IIRC..

If you want in cab pressure, getcha a Electronic Fuel Pressure gauge What I'm doing..

Quick Reply: Fuel System.. FASS.. Regulated...