6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FASS 150/180 installed + ITP Regulated Return

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:40 AM
badbrad60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FASS 150/180 installed + ITP Regulated Return

I finally finished the install of the FASS 150/180. My main reason for getting this was to eliminate fuel pressure loss. I have achieved my goal!!

I now have the ITP RRFS and the FASS working together. And it seems to work well, even though they are both by nature "regulated fuel systems"

The ITP created a full loop removing the "dead end" in the cylinder head.
The FASS has added the much needed Volume and eliminated fuel pressure drop.

The FASS puts out exactly 60 psi. I have the ITP regulator set at 58 psi. This setting allows both regulators to slightly purge return fuel and work properly.

I have a few pics of the install in my gallery. (no fuel tank pics, I didn't want diesel all over my camera )

few things to note:

1) The method of using a cheezy fuse tap to get 15-30 amps is just plain unacceptable. I installed a relay and utilized the factory pump wire to activate the relay which powers the FASS. This is especially good becuase it incorporates the factory timer that shuts off the fuel pump if the engine is not running. The way they instructed you to do it, was to basically hot wire the pump as long as the ignition is on....whether the motor is running or not.
2) Bolt kit wasn't included. Had to wait a few days for that.
3) I was 5 feet short of Push Lok fuel hose.
4) 1 of the 3 brackets needed quite a bit of grinding a drilling.
5) would have been nice for the correct spring to be included. A 40 psi spring was included. I had to pay for the correct 60 psi spring.
6) Pump is definitely louder than stock and can be heard at idle with or without the windows open. It isn't bad and after a few days of driving Im sure I'll get used to it. I plan on putting a 1/4 inch rubber bushing between the two plates and see if it helps.
7) Im not a fan of the supplied Suction tube. I had to drill into my tank and attach the suction tube with nothing more than a grommet. I will change that in the future to a bulkhead type of setup that won't leak. I harpooned my tank and I am almost positive when I fill it to the rim, it WILL leak....we will see.

Other than that....I am happy with the outcome.

* Fuel pressue is ROCK SOLID *

~Brad

Old 10-27-2007, 06:53 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
Congratulations!!! I am jeolous.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:03 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
LOL--I'm jealous too.
So no fuel pressure drop at all, huh? Excellent! Any SOTP difference in performance?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i have been wanting to ask someone who has a FASS Fuel Pump how loud is you pump? Mine has a constant buzzing sound and sounds like it misses a beat then constant then miss etc. The shop that installed it said that was perfectly normal and to make sure i don't get down past 1/4 tank...
does this sound right?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:05 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so w/ a FASS you can't run it past a 1/4 tank? that sux.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM
gvandyke
Senior User
I know I do not like to get below 1/4 tank, but there are times that there is no chioce and it just happens. That would be very hard if that were a requirement.

Greg

Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
As far as getting down past a quarter tank, that would be like 10 gallons. Im not sure what their reasoning is, but I do know that with the suction tube only being a piece of pipe that sits a little off the bottom of the tank, it doesn't have the scavenging ability that the stock pickup has.
When I first started the truck up, I only had 2 gallons in the tank. It wouldn't prime. I put 5 gallons in, and it primed fine. I took it for a test drive and when I came to a hard stop it lost prime, and took about 20 seconds to regain prime....That sucks.

I plan on making a pickup that mimics the stock style at some point. Im going to try and find a pickup from a larger truck and utilize it, or just ask around and find something that works better. ..... but for now...it works ok.

Yes, the pump is definitely audible. Louder than I hoped and it does change sounds. I think it is grabbing air and that changes the sound. I would imagine that if the tank was full, it wouldn't change sounds so much...dunno. As I said earlier, I am going to try and dampen the resonation sound of the pump by trying to put a rubber plate in between the pump and the mounting brackets..The stock pump had rubber mounts. ~Brad

Old 10-27-2007, 03:02 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
badbrad- thanks for your response, i feel better about it now.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
LOL--I'm jealous too.
So no fuel pressure drop at all, huh? Excellent! Any SOTP difference in performance?
I finally got to put a few short miles on thing. I wasn't able to get the fuel pressure to drop at all. At the hardest throttle, the needle barely move, maybe 1 pound..max.

SOTP difference? Well, It surely didn't make it worse..which is always good. But my truck runs so damn good.

It just runs so CRISP and smooth. Throttle response seems to just be getting better. I do notice less smoke under hard runs.

My neighbor races Sprint Cars and I pulled up to his house after I just put the FASS on. He asked me if that FORD could spin the dually tires? I said "not sure" He told me to try......I felt like I was 16 again...I fried (only 1 legged though) but the 33's were SPINNIN....left 2 pretty black stripes 2 houses long!

Even during that really fast engine speed change, the fuel pressure didn't even blink...with the stock pump, it would have dragged it down to almost nothing.

Yeah...it runs good ~Brad

Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ITP RR/FASS configuration is pretty much an unbeatable setup for performance purposes. We have been using both for a while now and have been greatly satisfied with both.

Brad, if you want to get rid of the pickup tube and not worry about fuel level, we will have a billet tank sump available very soon. It will bolt to the bottom of the tank and includes both a master shut-off valve and a seperate water drain (for draining water straight out of the tank) in case of contamination. The shut-off will also allow a full flush of the fuel tank.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
That is perfect. As soon as you get that lower tank sump avail, I'll be buying one from you...I'll keep pinging you back to find out when you have it....

The FASS pickup tube setup just isn't what I had hoped for.

1) It doesn't scavenge fuel very well and requires like 5 gallons in the tank to keep from sucking air and becoming unprimed.

2) Because is uses a grommet and a pressed in aluminum bulkhead, it WILL leak with a Harpooned tank.

So, I'll just put my order in now. Thanks for the heads up Matt! ~Brad

Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

If it's the same one you showed me a while back it's an extremely nice piece. If you suck air with this one your tank is dry.

Seriously--put me on the list, and we need to talk about a FASS also.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
If it's the same one you showed me a while back it's an extremely nice piece. If you suck air with this one your tank is dry.

Seriously--put me on the list, and we need to talk about a FASS also.
Very, very similar to that piece except black anodized with a water drain in the bottom and a shut-off ball valve

Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Black anodized, huh? nice........very nice.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did someone say something about black parts? IM IN!

Quick Reply: FASS 150/180 installed + ITP Regulated Return