Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Not Much Heat 05 Mountaineer

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Not Much Heat 05 Mountaineer

I've noticed lately that the heat comming from my Mounty is pretty weak.
Its only hot at the last two settings on the dial. If I put my hand down at the floor vent it sure doesn't feel like 180 deg. I can run around with the thing on the highest setting. The engine is getting up to temp I was wondering if its the temp door..Any idea's

Dick

Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts
moke sure the **** on the dash is not loose on the shaft and it is actually turning 100%. if the controls appear o.k., it might be a blend door problem with mixing the air.. below is a post from about a year ago on a 2003 EXP, not sure if the 2005 is teh same, but this may help
----------- did not write the following-----------

#1 pulled trim piece around radio and heater/Ac control ( unplugged heater/ac control)
#2 pulled center console out ( dont forget to remove to screws from back corner of console, you will have to pop off the corner plastic pieces to see these screws)
#3 removed the bottom part of dash under steering wheel ( 2 screws)
#4 removed metal dash support ( piece that goes from floor to dash behind the consloe, two nuts from floor and two bolts from dash)
#5 pulled the floor vent duck work from driving side ( 2 screws )
#6 removed several screws form dash in middle so it would move a little ( you may not have to do this but I did just trying to make it easier to get to the actuator)
#7 pulled the actuator ( 3 screws) and unplugged)
the top screw on top back corner is rough to get to .

you will need a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 7 and 8 MM socket, I also used a three inch extension on some of the screws.
you will also have to have a 8mm wrench to remove the actuator.

I replaced my actuator, it was not turning at all,appeared that the gear inside was gone.
You do not have to get this from the dealer. Advanced Auto ordered one for me. I had it the next day.I paid 49.88. I also found that a Hanyes manual was helpful also ( 18.00)Make sure you get the manual for the correct year you have. I was told that the 2002 and 2003 where the same. The manual I bought was for both years.The wording was not helpful ( as far as locating the front actuator but looking at the pictures helped alot.

I worked on and off on this a couple of days ( took some things apart that was not needed, I was trying to use the steps someone had told me about for a late 90's model, they are notset up the same way.
Once I figured out what had to be done I figure I had a couple of hours in on this.
You could make it easier to get to the actuator if you pullled the complete heater box off but this requires more things to take off ( to do this you would have to unhook and pull the heater core out0