6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

UP PIPE DOWN PIPE Y PIPE What the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 AM
rchouser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UP PIPE DOWN PIPE Y PIPE What the heck?

I asked about the Up Pipe and Down Pipe recently in another thread, but, didn't have the heart to follow up because the poster had his PSD mangled by a stray tool left on the engine by the dealer repairing his up-pipe. Hope it turned out well for him. Both LVTitan and Maximum4x4 answered the Up Pipe vs Down Pipe question (Maximum4x4 even provided a link to diagrams). I went into my service guy yesterday thinking up-pipe cracked (weird resonence type noise + exhaust in the cab + increased engine/exhaust noise + turbobooster wind down on shutdown has increased in duration and noise level etc etc). Service manager says it's a cracked y pipe. He talked about flex fittings that crack at the weld to the "y pipe". Ok? I looked at Maximum4x4's diagrams. I am lost bigger than *****. Uppipes go from the manifolds to the turbo. Down pipe goes from the "y pipe" to the cat? I don't see the Y pipe. What does the down pipe connect to on the engine side? I did a search for "y pipe" on this forum and didn't find much. Help please (truck is going in tonight for tomorrows work). thanks rc

Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
There are three pipes for the exhaust system. The driver's side manifold feeds the y-pipe, the passenger side manifold feeds the EGR up-pipe. The EGR up-pipe is connected to the y-pipe and the EGR cooler. The y-pipe then feeds the turbo, exhaust from the turbo exits through the downpipe.

Y-pipe, EGR up-pipe and downpipe. Any flex fittings are going to be found in the y-pipe or EGR up-pipe.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM
3000 FPS
Elder User
There is only one pipe feeding into the turbo and you two exhuast manifolds. It takes a Y pipe to combine the two. The down pipe is only the exit from the turbo and to the cat.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
You're thinking of a gas engine with the Y-pipe feeding into the cat but on a turbo engine the Y-pipe is before the turbo to feed into the turbo, and the output from the turbo goes through the downpipe to the cat.

It's easy to get confused if you're not used to a turbo setup.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000 FPS
There is only one pipe feeding into the turbo and you two exhuast manifolds. It takes a Y pipe to combine the two. The down pipe is only the exit from the turbo and to the cat.
The 6.0L has the EGR up-pipe as well. This is attached to the passenger side exhaust manifold, the EGR cooler and then the y-pipe.

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_011.html

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 01-03-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
rchouser
Senior User
am trying to understand. This is my first turbo and my first deisel. Let me try to restate this:
No output from either exhaust manifold directly connects to the downpipe/exhaust pipe. All the output from the manifolds is either going through the EGR uppipe to the EGR and then out of the EGR to the ypipe or else it is going directly from the manifold into the Y pipe. The Y pipe output (from the manifold and egr up pipe) is only used to power the turbo. All the ouput from the Y pipe goes into turbo (manifold and egr upipe fed), then out of turbo through turbo down pipe through the cat and out the exhaust pipe. Am I close? thanks rc

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right..

Lets break this down.. You have two manifolds, left side/right side.. Those two manifolds (exhaust) go up to a Y-Pipe into the Turbo.. The EGR Cooler is on the passenger side Manifold line that routes to the Cooler.. Then the Downpipe comes out of the otherside of the Turbo to the Cat, Muffler, Tail Pipe.

If you look on Page 12 or 13 of the Bible, it shows the EGR Cooler, you can see the line to it behind the Heatshield.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM
06SD350
Junior User
Am I mistaken,or does a vendor sell the up pipes also,both the 03-04 version,and the newer with the scoop...along with no egr Up pipes as well.I can't seem to recall who at the moment..

Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Elite Diesel has them and few other guys can make them.. It's not real hard to do the EGR Delete.. Just close it off and do some minor welding.. Maybe someone can chime in

Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
rchouser
Senior User
Thanks Storm. I am looking at those pages. If you can stand a little more, on the passenger side after the manifold is what looks to be an interim piece of pipe. Again, just from the diagram, it appears to bolt to the exhaust manifold and then to the y pipe. In diagram 13 it is labled heatshield. It has the egr connection from the pipe to or through the EGR cooler. Is this a separate pipe? (looks like a flange for bolts at top and bottom, but I don't know). Could that section be removed and replaced with a similar pipe without the egr line? (Just wondering). I left my truck to have a "cracked Y Pipe replaced" and at least now I have some concept of what the Y pipe is and why it is causing the symptoms it is. Thanks for all your patience with an old new guy. rc

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
rchouser
Senior User
Oops, in the time that I took to look at the diagrams and reply, I think the answers fell out. Thanks to all. rc

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Yes the EGR pipe has 2 bolts.. The EGR Cooler is a separate piece that is attached to the intake manifold. What your seeing behind the Heatshield is the EGR.. To delete it, you would simply take an Uppipe, cut off the EGR line, weld it shut.. Then close off the EGR Cooler and weld the EGR Valve closed.. Someone will chime in and give exacts, but thats somewhat close. I've never done the EGR close off..

Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
OK here you go, this is my EGR delete pipe. In the top portion to the right is the Y mention where both up pipes come together. The pipe laying in the foreground is the original, the newer black pipe bolted to the Y is after I have modified the original, the cap is what goes on the EGR cooler, welded shut or use a freeze plug pressed into place.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...122070&width=0

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 01-03-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
rchouser
Senior User
Maximum4x4, did you build the new pipe. It doesnt look welded. thanks rc

Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Yes I mod the the pipe myself, no biggy unless you do not have the resources to do so.

Quick Reply: UP PIPE DOWN PIPE Y PIPE What the heck?