Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power Locks / Fob question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Locks / Fob question

So ever since I bought my truck, I've had this little problem that pops up now and again. At first it was just annoying, but today it prevented me from driving my truck to work. I had to drive a JEEP!

So every now and again, my truck won't unlock. The fob dies, and I can't unlock it with the key. Usually I can jiggle the key around for 5 minutes or so and persuade it to finally open. (with the neighbors watching, wondering why I am trying to break into my own dang truck) Once open, the fob works normally and the key will unlock the cylinder easily, no jiggling.

Well this morning she wouldn't unlock, and after 20 minutes or so of jiggling and trying to persuade the key to open the door cylinder I gave up.

My question is, what the hell is going on and how do I fix it? It's not a fob battery problem, we tried that by putting brand new batteries in it the last time it happened. It seems like more of a mechanical door-lock issue than an electrical issue, but I know nothing about the regulators in these trucks.

I should also add that I read the threads on actuator and power lock motor issues...mine doesn't act in the same way...WHEN it's working, the locks work great. It seems to freeze up, the fob, cylinders, everything...it's like I'm trying to unlock someone else's truck.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Smokin'; 01-02-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
It sounds like something is periodically getting into a bind inside the locking mechanism to me... like there may be an internal burr or soemthing that gets hung up on occasions. You could try swapping the lock mechanism from the passenger door (if they are swappable), and see if that resolves the issue, and if it does, simply replace the mechanism altogether.

Along that thread of thought - remember, now, I've not ever taken one of these things apart myself - with my experience with old mortise locks in old houses, there may be a loose screw on a casing or housing around the locking mechanism that you could tighten up. If that does prove to be the case, use some moderate strength locktite to keep the screw/nut from vibrating loose again.

Just a couple of thoughts right off the old bean.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by F250_
It sounds like something is periodically getting into a bind inside the locking mechanism to me....
I think you may be right, but what I don't understand is why a problem with one cylinder in one door will keep the other from unlocking...and why does it keep the fob from working? It doesn't even attempt to unlock the doors, it just goes plum dead. Even the panick button doesn't work.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Unless there is some sort of built-in communicative interlock, I don't know about that one. In other words, the only potential explanation for that symptom I can think of is an interlock that tells the remote to "shut up" if the lock is in a bind in order to minimize potential damage.

Here's a number you can probably call and talk to a techie about your problem... I ran across it when I was investigating my elecctronic bug a while back.

1-800-FORDKEY, they are supposed to be the experts on the security system in our vehicles. I bet they have someone who can explain exactly what's going on.... I would have mentioend it earlier, but just now remembered it.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
1-800-FORDKEY, they are supposed to be the experts on the security system in our vehicles. I bet they have someone who can explain exactly what's going on.... I would have mentioend it earlier, but just now remembered it.
Thank you so much for this. I'll go back to the BF's tonight and see what's going on. I have this strange feeling that I am going to get there and the fob will work just fine. If not, i'll be calling the ford key people.

I can't drive the JEEP another day. The BF was telling me that I made up the story about the door locks because I had a burning desire to drive a real vehicle for once.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 PM
wadesmith
Junior User
Smokin', I have the same problem with my early 99. In addition to what you noted above, I have noticed that the interior light does not come on when I press the FOB. I would think that if it was the lock mechanism binding that the interior light would come on like usual and not unlock the door. When this has happened to me, I have never been able to open the passengers door with the key, but I can always open the drivers side with the key. Annoying, but I can get it open. Let us know if you find the culprit.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Update!

Ok So I didn't take the doors apart. It was cold last night, and I had to get up early this morning!

But here is what I did find out. I got there last night, and the fob still didn't work. Dangit. So back to jiggling. After about five minutes or so, carefully listening to the clanging of the gears on the inside of the door, I finally persuaded my driver's side door to unlock with the key. After that, the fob returned to working normally.

Once the doors were unlocked and everything was normal, I locked the truck and tried to open it using just the key. I had a hard time getting the key to turn, and was once again forced to jiggle the door open. After taking a look at my key, I came to the rough conclusion that what I have is not ONE problem, its TWO problems, which happen to have come to my attention at the same time.

Problem One - my fob freezes up. They are aftermarket, and I am going to have to take apart the door panels to figure out what's going on. All I really know is that they just stop working until I get the door unlocked manually, and then start working again. Something is getting froze up in there.

Problem Two - I think my key is worn out, keeping me from being able to unlock the doors manually. Either that or I have worn out cylinders in both the driver's and passenger's side doors. I guess I never notice I have a problem with this until I am forced to use it to unlock the truck...which just happens to be when the fob stops working. When I first got the truck, I could unlock the doors with the key easily, but it seems that as time goes by, that is getting harder and harder to do.

My brother suggested the problem with my fob might be cold-weather related. Who knows until I take it apart.

This weekend we might get the chance to see what's going on in there.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
F250_
Hotshot
You know, Lisa, the fob problem might not be a "freezing up" problem... could be as simple as a small piece of trash getting lodged under the button. Hopefully it will be that simple. If you're hearing some clanging in the gears, I would still get in there and see if something can be tightened up with a screw or bolt, too.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
You know, Lisa, the fob problem might not be a "freezing up" problem... could be as simple as a small piece of trash getting lodged under the button. Hopefully it will be that simple. If you're hearing some clanging in the gears, I would still get in there and see if something can be tightened up with a screw or bolt, too.

Keep us posted.
There was actually a little more "play" in the door than I would have wanted to hear. I can hear the regulator kind of clanging around on the inside of the door when I am struggling to get the key to turn.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Whit350
Senior User
Try some of the graphite stuff in your lock cyl.
If that does not help... new key time

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Whit350
Try some of the graphite stuff in your lock cyl.
If that does not help... new key time
Graphite stuff? Please, elaborate!

Also do any of you know if I can call Ford and give them my VIN and order a key? I know that can be done on newer vehicles but my truck is damn near a decade old...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
condensation from the heat of the truck (or warming of the sun on the body panels) is forming in your lock cylinder, and the stupidly cold temps are causing it to freeze solid thus not allowing the weakly powered actuators to unlock the truck. try some of that lock deicing gel in the squeeze tube.

just my guess, I am from the deep south and anything below 28* and we think hell itself has frozen over, sooo, I may not even be close.

good luck Lisa

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try some WD-40 with the straw and stick it inside the tumbler and wash it out good,this has worked for me in the past

Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Thanks guys...i'll try it.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Pete PM'd me to ask about the status of this thread, so I figured I would update the rest of you as well.

I haven't solved the problem quite yet. I WD-40'd the locks as suggested and the fob/locks have been performing normally, even this morning as it was -1 outside with the windchill.

I am hoping the next time she does it I am at home so I can tear one of the door panels out and take a look at the guts and have a better chance of figuring out what the problem is.

I was going through all my paperwork and did find a reciept from the previous owner for two new door actuators in 2004, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with my problem.

Once i figure it out i'll be sure to post what I found.

Quick Reply: Power Locks / Fob question