6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Regen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:54 AM
jmapes38
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Regen?

I have only had my truck for 500 miles. I have ecxperienced 1 regen that I know of. RPM shot up and white smoke came out the back. But this morning I got to work and as soom as the truck went into park the RPM's shot up to 1200 and engine idled really rough. I hit the gas several times could not get the RPM's to come down. I shut the truck off at it sounded like an old gas motor with the timing set to high. It sputered and then shut off. There was no white smoke this time, so I am confued. I started it back up and it idled fine. any one have any ideas?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:26 AM
labenske
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience the white smoke during regen is due to the engine not being fully warmed when the regen cycle begins. White smoke on a diesel is usually unburned fuel.

As far as hitting the gas during regen, that will not stop the regen cycle. If you need to shut it off during a regen, hold the brake until the engine idle drops to normal, then shut if off. Most of the time these trucks will do the "shudder" thing if you shut them off when the idle is high. Your truck will continue to try to regen until you either let it do a full active regen cycle, or you drive it long enough to let the passive regen cycle complete. Your best bet is to just let the truck do it's thing and regen. When it is done, the truck will be back to normal.

You'll get the hang of the whole regen thing.