1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I need a RONCO EASY SPIN ENGINE STANDOMATIC

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
so is this what I'm seeing Dick ??? Nice Design Bill... that's the first picture I've been able to get posted...

j

What you are looking at on the end that John questioned if it was a bearing or just a washer welded in is actually the cut off stub end of the original axle. I have not disassembled the pivot but am sure that a 2nd bearing is just behind the stub end of the axle. I may just weld a nut on the end of the axle as dick suggested to facilitate turning an engine.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:04 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by rcav8or

I would mount it, using the exhaust manifold mount holes, possibly.
R

how would that work if you're building from scratch and the heads aren't on the block yet ?????

john

Old 12-26-2007, 05:10 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
how would that work if you're building from scratch and the heads aren't on the block yet ?????

john
I guess for you non-flathead's, it wouldn't. On a flathead, the exhaust ports are in the block, not the heads. I was speaking of how I would use it, and as I have flatheads, it would work.

R

Old 12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know of a good way to side mount an OHV engine.
when you start swinging from top-bottom adding crank/slugs/heads it's going to take three men and a real good looking Female to turn that puppy over.
I'd stick with the rear mount and imagineer a removable front support.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
John, the pictured stand is a lot like one in a small town in NM that works on OTR rigs and used the axle flange as a mount for different plates that mount to a specific engine. The cut off end had an old ****** steering wheel on it and a disc brake set up from a margay go cart (hyd) with a series of holes for pins at 4 or 5 clock positions. I can not get pics until next time I go through NM, but it sure looked a lot like 49W's except it does have a 15 degree upright so the weight was not all on the rear wheels.
Jon

Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I don't know of a good way to side mount an OHV engine.
Just one more reason for getting a truck, that uses a flathead!

Since I don't have access to old rear axles, etc, I still think if I were building one from scratch, or even "improving" a "cheapie", I would go with pillow block bearings. I would also have dedicated plates, for any motor I would do.

R

Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And especially for John

THE ROTOVATOR

http://www.tjsperformance.com/hamonstreet.htm

Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
THE ROTOVATOR II

Dick... you really should try to be as green as possible. The new improved ROTOVATOR II will make the most of 'green' technology..

The improvement (see crude approximation of a graphic representation below) will add the ability to use the wind as power for the ROTOVATOR I.

sorry for the really bad photoshop work but I was in a hurry.

I plan on fabbing up a prototype and pointing it either toward Pennsylvania or the FTE server site and let the hot air drive it

With proper gearing and forum activity, I could probably add a one wire generator hookup and sell power to Alabama Power...

later
John

Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Here's a HD commercial one that seems to be priced right (free shipping)
http://www.toolsusa.com/asp/item_det...1TF&GENB=&UID=

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
doesn't have the geared rotation we were looking for..

this is the least expensive I've found, only 1000lb tho, http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=2579

also, Northern Tool has two, Item# 1446003, $249.99, and Item# 144232
$299.99.

1446003 sounds better..

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
with metal to spare, I'm not going to spend that much on one. I'm looking to build one for much less... unless of course AX or Sam would like to buy me one for New Years (including shipping of course)

later

john

Old 12-27-2007, 10:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I won't even spend that on ME!, much less anyone else.

do I hate my 2ton stand with my 460 on it, yes. I can't turn it by myself (maybe I should have greased the post). but it is sturdy, and I have no engine droop like I see on some of the 1 tonners..

we also had a problem with my sons 322 nailhead, as they mount arms didn't reach (guess they shortened the distances since the 50's engines), so he can't rotate it over.

Sam

Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry, I'm buying myself a cherry picker first.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As usual, Ax has come up with the answer. A cherry picker/engine stand would be great. It could pick the engine up and mount it on itself! A HD geared crank would NOT be necessary for turning the engine. When you need to rotate the engine, the mast on the cherry picker could be pivoted forward from its stored vertical position and the front of the motor could be temporarily supported via a centrally located bolt to aleviate the bind on the rear pivot, thus making the motor easy to position. Once the engine is in it optimum location, the front support cable could be released and the cherry picker arm could be pivoted back over the mast to its vertical orientation. It's got strength, ease of operation and safety all wrapped up in vertual tri-fecta of enginuity. And if that wasn't enough, John, you could use it as a hog cooker if your cow BBQ is out on loan. Jag

Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
As usual, Ax has come up with the answer. A cherry picker/engine stand would be great. It could pick the engine up and mount it on itself! A HD geared crank would NOT be necessary for turning the engine. When you need to rotate the engine, the mast on the cherry picker could be pivoted forward from its stored vertical position and the front of the motor could be temporarily supported via a centrally located bolt to aleviate the bind on the rear pivot, thus making the motor easy to position. Once the engine is in it optimum location, the front support cable could be released and the cherry picker arm could be pivoted back over the mast to its vertical orientation. It's got strength, ease of operation and safety all wrapped up in vertual tri-fecta of enginuity. And if that wasn't enough, John, you could use it as a hog cooker if your cow BBQ is out on loan. Jag

Jag???

have you seen my shop ??? do you think there's room for such a contraption ??? oh wait... you're talking about the combo enginehoist/stand/hog cooker that can hover... my bad

later
John

Quick Reply: I need a RONCO EASY SPIN ENGINE STANDOMATIC