Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

This is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:33 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool This is messed up

This was posted on Columbus's Craigs list. Really is a really lowdown thing to do...
this was
FYI: THIS IS NOT ME, that this happened to..

My story of buying a Wii on CL.

I learned a very very valuable and upsetting lessontoday. I bought a Wii from someone on here for my daughter, I am a single father and today is my day with her, and this monring after Santa came she opened her presents, a Wii! You should have seen the look of excitement in her eyes, she hugged me and told me she loved me.

Well, we decided to set it up and play it today, we opened the shrink wrap, and opened the box, only to find that it had a CHUCK OF WOOD! No, Wii, no games, nothing but a little girls broken heart! Imagine trying to explain to your little girl why Santa would do such a thing. That is how I have spent my day so far!

Sure I have a receipt, I called the store and found out that the reciept is fake too. I tried calling to low life that ruined our Christmas & stole my $400, only to find the e-mail box is shut down, the cell phone is disconnected.

Save yourself the anguish of seeing your childs heart broken and buy ONLY FROM STORES!!!

I am not seeking anything, I will get her one after the holidays from a reputable retailer, I just wanted to warn others before getting ripped of as I did!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:42 AM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Just a update on this....

Reply to: sale-xxxxx2657@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-12-24, 11:57PM EST

To everyone who wrote with your notes of support; Thank you and Merry Christmas!

I reported what happened to the police and honestly they consider is a victim less crime. So I don't hold any hope of any action on my report.

To those that are curious, losing the money means nothing, I can live without the money, it is the gut wrenching feeling of seeing my little girls tears when we opened the box. Through a good Samaritan from a local retailer, they set aside a Wii for her and I picked it up this evening, this time I only paid retail price for it!

For the few small minded little people that used my post to try and flame me; The box was shrink wrapped thus I felt no need to open it and inspect the contents, unlike you I still hold faith that people are generally good, so I did not expect to be ripped off. However, in my years I have learned that the people who are most weary are typically the ones you should not trust! I pity you who felt it necessary to e-mail me with your crap, it must suck to live life being bitter and hateful, I wouldn't know other than this little bump in the road my life is good.

So, when I see my little sweetie on Wednesday, Santa will have replaced the mistaken box and we will be fine.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:33 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Always check packages upon receipt, and always pay for it with a credit card (you'll never lose your money that way because you can dispute it). It's great to hold faith that people are good but that's somewhat naive considering Craigs list is one of worst places for fraud these days. Its like buying something from a guy in a white van on the side of the road, still in the skrink wrap and expecting it to be on the level. Why is it that because its on-line people let their guard down? As Ronald Reagan so wisely said, "trust, but verify." The con played on this guy is an old one, and while I don't blame him a little precautionary checking could have prevented this.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:16 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Ken excellent points and if more people did this , scams would not happen in first place.

The thing that caught my eye about this story, is the fact that the guy did not whine about getting scammed ,or the loss of money,and also did not want any. but just pointed out what happened to him and for others to learn from the lesson he just got taught .

It was also good that a retailer stepped up and offered a Wii to him, and the guy only had to pay retail for it, and which helped him put a smile back on his little girls face, something that money can not buy.

Now I have bought from CL before, and its only in person,after getting a full name ( I also check the name against the address) at their residence in a neighborhood that I am comfortable to be in. Plus I ask for ID and record that info before completing the deal.

Another thing to do is to goolge the email addy to see if there is history behind it.

CL list can be a good place but only if you take the precautions before hand

Old 12-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ouch!

I dread the time I might finally get stuck with something thru Ebay or the like. Been really careful, pay attention to details and you'll be better off.