1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

park brake won't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
park brake won't work

My park brake hasen't worked since I bought the truck and finallly decided to fix it. I replaced the fron half off the cable and while doing so relized that the back half was froxe up. I pulled the drivers side rear and the arm that the park brake cable pulls is very stiff and was rubbing on the hub. I pryed it out with a screw driver. How hard should this be to move. Also theres a cable running from the top of this arm that runs around and hooks somewhere but is broke. What is is? I posted a pic in the link in my sig

Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what it should look like.

That arm should move quite freely. Some penetrating oil and working it with your hand should free it up. The cable goes from the top anchor point to a saddle on the rear shoe Then down the the lever/arm that adjusts the star wheel. The cable is part of the self adjuster so you might need to buy a self adjust kit to get a new one.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Sangetsu03
Senior User
I went through the same thing last week, both rear cables were sticking. New cables = working parking brake.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
wmiller
Elder User
what kinda money is the self adjuster. If its a lot i'll just leave it and adjust them myself. Wheres best place to get cables for a good price?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Sangetsu03
Senior User
I got the cables online at Rock Auto, $60 for the pair. The self adjusters rarely need to be replaced. Just make sure they are clean and the threads on the adjuster are properly lubricated with white grease.