6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SCT X3.....Guages????

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 PM
brettwingfield
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT X3.....Guages????

I have hear a lot of people on here talk abot gauges if you are running a tuner. What gauges would you recomend? Where would you install them? How hard are they to install? Etc..... Thanks!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 AM
doubledee715
Elder User
It depends on your preference. I prefer digital over analog. Then there is the dashdaq that blows both out of the water. Most install them on the A-pillar where the grab handle is. Not hard to install. From what I've read from analog users, the hardest part was painting the new a-pillar that replaced their grab handle or tapping the exhaust manifold.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 AM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As far as which gauges... EGT, Trans temp, Boost are what most people start with. Then you can go further with engine oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and so on.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riggz
As far as which gauges... EGT, Trans temp, Boost are what most people start with. Then you can go further with engine oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and so on.
I don't think he would really need the boost considering it's an 06 and on my 06 the boost gauge is fairly accurate compared to my aftermarket one. There are two reasons why I went aftermarket on the boost, first was the better range of display and second I'm planning on an aftermarket turbo. I would say EGT and Tranny Temp(if an auto, unless you do some very very very hard work with that standard like sled pulling), you could forego the boost unless you have a particular reason why you would want it. For the third and forth spots(if your only doing an a-pillar); I would say water temp or oil temp for the third spot(there is some debate on which one is better or more useful, I prefer the water temp one, if you go with oil temp that's fine as well or you could do both just take up the remaining slots), for the fourth slot I would do oil psi unless your thinking about injectors or something else that's going to demand more fuel then that stock fuel pump is going to like then I would do a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 AM
diverseth
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using a tuner without at least an EGT gauge is like driving without a speedometer. How long can you be lucky?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:21 AM
albran
Senior User
I installed the 2 gauge pod above the mirror.

Pyrometer is a must have, I DO NOT have a tuner (yet.. if ever) and have seen 1200* EGT a couple of times while towing.

The factory automatic trans gauge is a idiot light hooked to a pointer, in other words if your temp starts to climb you won't know it till it's too late.

"How hard are they to install?"
Easy hard impossible depends on YOUR ability. On my DIY 1 to 10 scale it was a 4, but I'm 60.
You only need a drill, bit and TAP, some wire, elec connectors (unless you buy this http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=104&rn=416&action=show_detail I didn't and wish I had)

Here's the best part about the ITP setup they'll paint the POD for you

Here's my $350.00 setup.
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=166&rn=486&action=show_detail
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=166&rn=487&action=show_detail
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=143&rn=381&action=show_detail

Old 12-22-2007, 08:30 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by albran

Pyrometer is a must have, I DO NOT have a tuner (yet.. if ever) and have seen 1200* EGT a couple of times while towing.
EGT without a tuner is not as a must have as a tranny temp gauge. I have successfully driven countless trucks that haven't had issues that you would associate as having been prevented with an EGT gauge, however, on those same trucks I have had tranny issues, so in all honesty for a stock truck without a tuner I would say the tranny gauge is a must have, egt is good to have, but not a must have. Now with a tuner, the egt gauge is most definately a must have.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 AM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tex25025
I don't think he would really need the boost considering it's an 06 and on my 06 the boost gauge is fairly accurate compared to my aftermarket one. There are two reasons why I went aftermarket on the boost, first was the better range of display and second I'm planning on an aftermarket turbo. I would say EGT and Tranny Temp(if an auto, unless you do some very very very hard work with that standard like sled pulling), you could forego the boost unless you have a particular reason why you would want it. For the third and forth spots(if your only doing an a-pillar); I would say water temp or oil temp for the third spot(there is some debate on which one is better or more useful, I prefer the water temp one, if you go with oil temp that's fine as well or you could do both just take up the remaining slots), for the fourth slot I would do oil psi unless your thinking about injectors or something else that's going to demand more fuel then that stock fuel pump is going to like then I would do a fuel pressure gauge.
True, but I don't really trust any of the factory gauges after seeing how much allowance the trans temp gauge has. Plus you have the option of getting a guage that will alert you if you exceed a certain boost pressure.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by riggz
how much allowance the trans temp gauge has.
That is true, the trans temp has got to be the worst gauge, only thing I can say is that ford isn't the only one that has done that with their trans gauge. Why do they do that, you have any idea, it doesn't make sense to me?

Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 PM
albran
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
EGT without a tuner is not as a must have as a tranny temp gauge. I have successfully driven countless trucks that haven't had issues that you would associate as having been prevented with an EGT gauge, however, on those same trucks I have had tranny issues, so in all honesty for a stock truck without a tuner I would say the tranny gauge is a must have, egt is good to have, but not a must have. Now with a tuner, the egt gauge is most definately a must have.
hhmm I thought I read that 1200* was the magic # for the 6.0 and prolonged driving at this level was looking for trouble, with or with OUT a tuner?

I only see 1200 when I'm towing 14K 5th wheel up some pretty long hills/moutain passes etc at 55 mph or so.

ab

Last edited by albran; 12-22-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the size of the piston cooling nozzles and the materials of both the pistons and turbocharger turbine materials, 1200* is a joke for this engine. I have made prolonged runs into the 1600 -1700 degree range numerous times on many engines in my rigs and never had a problem. I have never had temperature related issues arise with the needle still registering on a 2000* gauge. (Now once it gets off the gauge for a while.... )

Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 PM
04Xcursion
Tuned
Actually the 6.0 is pretty tolerant of high EGTs, 1200* is not really the magic number; it's definitely a safe number; but I know I've driven mine (recently) for 2-3 hours with EGTs running between 1250 and 1400 and the truck has shown no adverse effects. Even short bursts into the 1600* range do not seem to result in any damage.

As for gauge priorities my list of must haves would be: 1) Fuel Pressure, the lack of fuel pressure is a killer for injectors and when your engine starts to stumble and you notice it's way too late you've aleady done the damage; 2) Trans Temp (especially if you tow) it's the only way to tell if you're overdoing it. 3) EGT/Boost (you need to have both of these) this allows you to see if you fuel/air delivery is right and can allow you to make preliminary diagoses of problems associated with turbo/EGR when they occur.

As for mounting... It's all up to you, A-pillar, steering column, headliner, there are kits available for nearly anywhere you'd like the gauges to be, A-pillar does seem to be the most popular though.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 AM
07psdrookie
Senior User
I've heard of no reviews of this for a 6.0 but it seems pretty neat. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/Fordtech.html

Old 12-23-2007, 06:56 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 07psdrookie
I've heard of no reviews of this for a 6.0 but it seems pretty neat. http://www.aeroforcetech.com/Fordtech.html
The only problem that I have with OBDII gauges is that you are reliant on where the manufactor put their sensor for those readings. I know that the tranny temp is going to read cooler from the ford sensor then it is from a probe in the pan. That alone makes me leary, because there is tranny fluid in there that is getting hotter then the temperature that your actually getting, so if your run it to hot, yet temp looks good based on the Ford sensor you could still be cooking a part of your tranny without knowing it. Knowing that now makes the stock tranny gauge on the truck really scary, because not only does it not really move when the tranny get's hot, but it is also getting it's readings from a colder part of the tranny(if not the coldest part of it). Based on the tranny sensor alone it would make the other sensors suspect as to be giving accurate temps. Now if you happen to know how off they are and are willing to always add that number to whatever reading you have on the digital gauge, then that would be alright, but I would rather not have to think about it and just look and know what I see is what I get. Just .02s worth from a guy that used to have a digital gauge.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:41 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have pretty much the same kit as albran but I went with the black faced gages and under dash mount.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

I have posted before about setting up my tranny temp gage to monitor multiple inputs using a rotary switch from Radio Shack. I currently have it set up to read front and rear diffs, tranny and coolant with two inputs left. One of these will be engine oil temp when I get an Oilguard bypass filter and the ESP luber system installed.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ut-gauges.html

Quick Reply: SCT X3.....Guages????