Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:30 PM
JAMSRF250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck will not start

I have a 2001 F250 7.3 and yesterda morning when I went to start it would turn over but never fire up (temp around 25f). There was a little white smoke coming out of the exhust but never tried to fire up. I assumed it was the glow plugs and was forced to drive my wife'ss gasoine Chevy. I had to go Christmas shopping so I didn't have time to look over. The next day I thought I would try to plug in the block heater and see if maybe I could get it to start, no luck! I read through some posts and found out about checking fuses and did so. I haven't found any bad. I crossed the posts on the GPR without any luck either. So I' back to were I was the first day thinking it's the glow plugs. I've ready how to replace, sounds like a all day job. I've also read about changing the harness while changing the plugs. All this said I would like to know what glow plugs are the best to purchase. How often do the plugs go out? What is the best service manual to purchase for a Ford F250 7.3 diesel? My truck has 150,000 miles, I'm the second owner (I don't know if the've every been changed). And if it's the glow plugs that are bad is there any other way to start a diesel once they are bad??

Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Are you sure your getting fuel? Also could be a CPS problem don't know.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:54 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I am kinda leaning towards where Tracy is going, are you running any antigel in the fuel?

1. drain fuel bowl
2. open filter cap
3. close bowl drain
3.25 remove filter and look at bowl heater(round wire in bottom of cup) make sure it is intact.
3.5 replace filter
3.75 get some old shop rags
4. turn key to run and listen for fuel pump, it should stay on about 20 seconds
5. check to make sure it has refilled bowl. and use rags to clean up any spills
6. replace filter cap
7. repeat #4 and try to start engine.

this actually does 2 things, one it cycles your GPs twice (assuming your glow plug relay is good) and two, it confirms the fuel flow.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I wouldn't go changing glowplugs just yet . How long did you have it plugged in for and how cold is it there. DO NOT USE ETHER ON A PSD you will do serious damage .Do as Brandon advises and let us know what you have found.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 PM
JAMSRF250
Freshman User
Smile

Thanks for pointing me to the fuel supply. I drained out the filter bowl and pulled the filter out and found in the bowl an old filter oring. I guess when I changed last the old oring came off and stayed in the bowl. I remove the oring and replaced the filter and my truck fired right up. With a little romp romp. It seam to sound a little more ruffer than normal at first then it lined out great. I drove around for about 20 min and she fan fine. Thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 07:13 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Good to hear it was a simple fix. I thought the way you made it sound it sounded more like a fuel problem to me than the glow plugs. At any rate glad you got it going.