1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine/Tran mounting angle question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:03 PM
mechanicblue3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine/Tran mounting angle question

Building an f1 street rod with camaro ifs, 351 and c6 Tran. I just replaced the cab floor and installed a Tran. hole cover that is two inches taller than stock. it is not enough (two inches). I already have made and installed motor and transmission mounts. The engine and Tran. have about a four degree downward slope. I need to drop the Tran about one more inch.
my question is : what is the limit on Eng/Tran slope? Concerned about engine oil and U joint strain with excessive slope.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 342 Likes on 259 Posts
I think you could go up to 6 deg without causing any problems. Runs in my mind a lot of factory setups are around this amount. You should have a rear sump oil pan to clear the rack/crossmember?? so you'll just run oil to the pickup faster. What's more important is trying to keep the carb mounting surface level. Most have some slope built-in to compensate for the down angle.

And U joint wear won't be a problem as long as you tip the differential up the same 6 deg.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mechanicblue3
Building an f1 street rod with camaro ifs, 351 and c6 Tran. I just replaced the cab floor and installed a Tran. hole cover that is two inches taller than stock. it is not enough (two inches). I already have made and installed motor and transmission mounts. The engine and Tran. have about a four degree downward slope. I need to drop the Tran about one more inch.
my question is : what is the limit on Eng/Tran slope? Concerned about engine oil and U joint strain with excessive slope.
I BELIEVE ABOUT 1.5 TO 2.5 DEGREES IS ABOUT ALL I WOULD TRY FOR. THE LEAST AMOUNT IS GOOD ALTHOUGH YOU NEED ENOUGH TO WORK YOUR U-JOINTS. SOME HIGH RISE 4 WHEEL DRIVE TRUCKS SEEM TO HAVE A LOT. WE LUCKED UP WITH OUR F-1 USING THE PARTS FROM 1995 T-BIRD. WE HAD ALL THE CLEARANCE TO MAKE OUR FLOOR BOARD FLAT AND WILL INSTALL A CONSOLE FLAT ON THE FLOOR. I AM GOING TO TRY TO GET SOME PICTURES ON HERE WHEN I CAN GET SOMEONE TO HELP ME. I AM NOT TOTALLY DUMB BUT AM STILL IN COMPUTER 101.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:33 PM
dffay
Elder User
Is the carb plane on the intake level when the vehicle is at ride stance on the ground? If so, then raising or lowering the engine and trans as a unit until you get the 1.5 to 3 degree difference should suffice.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Look at the trans pan...it should be flat. Engine will be around 3-5 degrees when measured at the carb mounting flange. mtflat has it right...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Wouldn't it be easiest to make a different trans cover? Does it clear otherwise (floor pan, firewall, etc)?

Old 12-15-2007, 06:35 AM
mechanicblue3
Junior User
thanks for all the comments. I have already made my own Tran hole cover, about five versions, but they did not look or work right.. I dint have the tools or the skills.. at this point the new cover just clears the transmission.
i will check the Tran pan level.
Still not sure what to do. I don't have the room to lower the engine (oil pan clearance).

Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2" higher tranny cover is pretty high compared to others here. Are you using a rear sump oil pan? That should give you the clearance you need to drop the engine down.
Here's a trick for fabbing things like tranny covers: Go to Wal-mart, in the school supply dept they will have poster board, a thin cardboard about as thick as a file folder, in 2x3' sheets. Buy about 1/2 dz or so sheets, it's great pattern making material and inexpensive compared to metal so you can make many attempts at refining the shape. It's stiff enough to hold it's shape, and about the same thickness as 20 ga sheet. Cut it up, fold it, tape it together until you have the shape and size you need. Untape/fold and transfer the shape to metal. cut it out bend where the pattern was folded, weld/rivet/bolt it together where the pattern was taped. Label the patterns and save for future use or to cut smaller patterns from for other projects.