6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tech help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Tech help please

My 04 350 Had a stumble at idle that took about a year to get sorted.HPOP check valve (THANKS Blackhat -Ford dealer had it for three days and couldnt sort it but you did over the internet).This past week I have had a hot restart problem truck turns over but will not start hot.Once it cools for 10 minutes or less it has a long (5-10 second) crank and fires upand runs like a top.Is there another place in the hpop system that likely needs attention or is it more than likely the IPR.By the way the IPR is just about the last sensor that is orignal.The check engine light came on today but the sct reads no codes,I will have it read by a snap on fancy tool in the morning.Which codes point the finger at the IPR.Truck is early 04 straight pipe ,spartan tow injectors with the street tune on the sct ,no egr cooler and 178000km.There isnt a ford tech that I trust anywhere near me so I will have to do it myself.Thanks for any help.(AGAIN)LOL

Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd PM Blackhat for his input.

Joe

Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the sct is a great programmer, but a crappy code reader for sure.

not sure on which codes to look for, but just see what you get. i know that mine would crank a long time before starting but once it started it ran GREAT , and i changed the batteries and it fires up almost instantly. everything checked out okay when i tested them so i didnt suspect batteries at first... but i didnt' have the hotstart problem so more than likely there's something else going on.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Thanks Guys.Problem was a hamfisted bricklayer didnt check injector plugs to make sure all the clips were locked.# 3 set a code.Though its still a little long cranking she fires up hot.Now to check the fuel system to see if she wants some more of my time and money.The longer I have this truck the more it seems like a woman.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:50 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brickie
My 04 350 Had a stumble at idle that took about a year to get sorted.HPOP check valve (THANKS Blackhat -Ford dealer had it for three days and couldnt sort it but you did over the internet).This past week I have had a hot restart problem truck turns over but will not start hot.Once it cools for 10 minutes or less it has a long (5-10 second) crank and fires upand runs like a top.Is there another place in the hpop system that likely needs attention or is it more than likely the IPR.By the way the IPR is just about the last sensor that is orignal.The check engine light came on today but the sct reads no codes,I will have it read by a snap on fancy tool in the morning.Which codes point the finger at the IPR.Truck is early 04 straight pipe ,spartan tow injectors with the street tune on the sct ,no egr cooler and 178000km.There isnt a ford tech that I trust anywhere near me so I will have to do it myself.Thanks for any help.(AGAIN)LOL
Yes it could be the IPR sensor, also could be an injector inlet o-ring starting to fail. HPOP system failures can be a pita to locate at times. Here is a link with some pictures and more diagnostics.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-17.php

If you decide to get a scanner, i would recommend the Auto Enginuity "Total Ford ScanTool Bundle" best $380 you will spend on a diagnostic tool.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
So.I blew the head gaskets tonight.Three ton payload 35lbs boost good-bye gaskets. two and a half gallons of water and she got me home 40 highway miles or so from the point of overheating.(I love this truck)Blackhat thanks for the info you are an an asset to FTE.If you would take the time when you have it I would love to read any ford tech info you inboxed me.OHHH Matt!!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:19 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
So.I blew the head gaskets tonight.Three ton payload 35lbs boost good-bye gaskets. two and a half gallons of water and she got me home 40 highway miles or so from the point of overheating.(I love this truck)Blackhat thanks for the info you are an an asset to FTE.If you would take the time when you have it I would love to read any ford tech info you inboxed me.OHHH Matt!!
Ouch! I am guessing the turbo vanes stuck and it overboosted. Sounds like it is time for ARP studs and new headgaskets. Or if you really get the mod bug, ARP studs and Fire Ring.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
I have use of a hoist for a couple days to lift the cab.Is there anything else I should replace while I am in there besides this list.Injector and glowplug sleeves ,valve guides ,Hpop up tubes,turbo stand pipe o ring,turbo oil suppily tube gasket and the head studs with a fresh gasket.TIA once again.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:33 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
I have use of a hoist for a couple days to lift the cab.Is there anything else I should replace while I am in there besides this list.Injector and glowplug sleeves ,valve guides ,Hpop up tubes,turbo stand pipe o ring,turbo oil suppily tube gasket and the head studs with a fresh gasket.TIA once again.
That sounds like a fairly complete list, make damn sure you properly inspect the heads for flatness, the heads can be no more than .002 out at any of the inspection points. Here is the TSB outlining the inspection procedure.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=06-21-10

Note the heads can be milled slightly if they are not flat, max is about .008, do not let the head thickness get below 3.660. If it takes more than this to make the heads flat, they will need to be trashed and replaced with new.

Give Matt a call and pick his brain for any other tips he may have.
(828) 606-3263

Last edited by blackhat620; 12-16-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Blackhat I owe you one.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Blackhat I owe you one.
No not at all, the members of FTE are a great resource and we all learn from one another, which is what makes this forum and others like it great. As a friend of mine is found of saying, the world is round "pay it forward".