351M / 400 Oil Slinger

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM
prrcatenary
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351M / 400 Oil Slinger

I now there is supposed to be an oil slinger installed on the crankshaft just in front of the timing sprocket; does it direct oil to the sprocket & chain somehow?

Mine is missing (PO started disassembling front of motor) and I'm not sure if I can find a new one - anyone know where, short of a junkyard (but it's a lot of disassembly work to get to for such a simple piece). Could one be fabricated easily?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try Tim Meyer. I think that he has them.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM
father/son
Senior User
hi Prrcatenary, paul kiernan here, first off i know in my heart you are correct, there is supposed to be a slinger on our midlands by design period. this is a fact.
BUT it is a much discussed and a wee bit contraversioul issue. but again, myself, i am bullheaded and stubborn on this part, and like you, i am having big time trouble finding one SHORT of the yard. i do not want to buy a whole block for that one part. you know what i really want right now, would you care to respond and hear me out on why i WANT one.it sounds like you do to. i know full well she will quote, run without it but i have more to say. want to hash it over a bit, i do. let me run it past you boss. paul md

Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
prrcatenary
Senior User
I'm sure it will run OK without it, and would probably last thousands of miles, I figure it is there to help keep the chain better lubricated. On my engine it may not be a big deal to leave it off since it won't be driven much.

Yes, I'd love to hear more of your ideas, Paul...

Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
father/son
Senior User
father/son

hi prrcatenary,paul,
tk u for your patience, i enjoy talking or discussing points like this. remember now, i am stubborn, sometimes even pigheaded and this is my OP, my thoughts only. as i see it, it is a FACT that she will run without it. period. i get it. (gr). done it. BUT, its there by design and for a reason. i believe it doe,s assist in ensuring that the chain is not only properly oiled, but also cooled. look at the # description. an oil SLINGER. . in addittion, i firmly believe that it ALSO helps take the load off of your FRONT seal. i have a personal quirk about oil leaks. can't stand em prrcatenary, it just bothers me. to date, nick&i have not found a new source,nick is a good fabber, but we do not have the part to compare against. its a small point, i understand that, i just want it. i will tell you this, if and when, we will get TWO, and # 2 has your name on it , free of chg, because we just want to. never seen anything wrong with being friendly when your hangin out with smart and decent folks like n&i find here, as a RULE. a smart & imformative site, but the laid back,. easy style we prefer.hey boss, tks for the ear, i never get tired of motors, later, the whole gang, even the dog. paul kiernan MD.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:07 PM
grclark351
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the oil slinger is there to throw the voluminous amounts of oil coming from the hole in the front of the valley, away from the front seal so as not to overcome it with the deluge. this same quantity of oil would also cool the timing chain if it needed cooling.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 PM
TMI
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2 cents
I have never installed the slinger on any of the engines we have built.

I think the front seals have a lot more quality to them now a days.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
father/son
Senior User
Mr Tim,
you always have our ear sir,
thank you.
paul k. md

Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by father/son
hi prrcatenary,paul,
tk u for your patience, i enjoy talking or discussing points like this. remember now, i am stubborn, sometimes even pigheaded and this is my OP, my thoughts only. as i see it, it is a FACT that she will run without it. period. i get it. (gr). done it. BUT, its there by design and for a reason. i believe it doe,s assist in ensuring that the chain is not only properly oiled, but also cooled. look at the # description. an oil SLINGER. . in addittion, i firmly believe that it ALSO helps take the load off of your FRONT seal. i have a personal quirk about oil leaks. can't stand em prrcatenary, it just bothers me. to date, nick&i have not found a new source,nick is a good fabber, but we do not have the part to compare against. its a small point, i understand that, i just want it. i will tell you this, if and when, we will get TWO, and # 2 has your name on it , free of chg, because we just want to. never seen anything wrong with being friendly when your hangin out with smart and decent folks like n&i find here, as a RULE. a smart & imformative site, but the laid back,. easy style we prefer.hey boss, tks for the ear, i never get tired of motors, later, the whole gang, even the dog. paul kiernan MD.
This is one I found laying around. Hope this picture comes through, I've been having problems. Like TMI said they aren't necessary anymore & they probably never were for that matter. I have never saw one on a M, I've only seen them in Clevelands and early 400's. If I had to guess I'd say they were canned somewhere around '74. But never say never.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 PM
prrcatenary
Senior User
Thanks for the input everyone, it is possible mine is missing because it was never there...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM
RJR99SS
Elder User
Originally Posted by prrcatenary
Thanks for the input everyone, it is possible mine is missing because it was never there...
My 77 400 was original when i tore it down, it didnt have one there either.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 126 Posts
Still learning!! I always thought the slinger was for the timing chain lube but protecting the oil seal makes sense.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
father/son
Senior User
hi mark a, paul,
i feel like prrcaternary, thanks for the help with the pic, it came through just fine. i have no idea what ford did when and why, BUT, when so many vets on the site advise me to stand down and not be concerned abiut it, well, i figure i,ll listen. it goes back without it period, again, my thanks to the site for strait up info.
later me. pk md.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 AM
werneil
Junior User
hi, the oil slinger is primarily there to keep excess oil away from the front seal. many engines have them many don't? don't stress if you have not got one it will not make much difference neil