Sponsored by:

4X4 - Winter Driving - Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 PM
carmk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 - Winter Driving - Snow

I have a 2005 Ex Limited 4X4 PSD with the Torqueshift AT. I have only owned it 4 months.

We received our real first snow storm in Denver today. I had the Excursion out and about quite a bit today as I wanted to try it out in the snow before I head to the mountains in it to do some skiing.

I was VERY surprised with how it handled in the snow. Even with 4x4 high engaged, the back end would "come loose" and fish tail. It mostly happened when rounding a corner and accelerating out of the corner. I have great tires (BFG with 21K) and am confident it is not the tires. At first, I thought the 4x4 had not engaged so I verified the hubs were in the auto position.

I traded in my '05 F150 FX4 Screw for the Excursion. The FX4 went like a mad man in snow...tons of control. It felt like the front tires really took control of the vehicle once in 4x4. I was expecting the same from the Excursion...but not so.

The Excursion felt like there was still far more thrust being put through the back wheels than the front.

Once I backed off the gas signficantly, then no more problem. Almost like there is so much torque going to the rear wheels that they can't help but spin on a snowy surface. I never felt the front tires spin. They were "crabbing" a bit at slow speeds in a turn so I know the 4x4 is engaged.

A couple of questions:
1 - does your excursion perform well in snow
2 - do you find the same as I explained above (easy to fish tail)?
3 - is my assumption correct that there is so much torque it will be hard to keep the tires from spinning on a snowy surface?

I appreciate your thoughts.

CARMK

Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Aaron Steinblock
Junior User
My Ex is a 2wd unit. Our roads are currently snow covered with glare ice patches. I have to 'pop' the accelerator pretty hard to get the back tires to spin.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the two wheel drive to, and i agree with arron. My truck with stock tires where very terrible in the snow. Once i bought my BFG a/t, it became 10 times better. Just imagine how the truck would handle with comemrcial bfg snow plowing tires. Remeber, the tire with less width is ALWAYS better in snow but bad in mud. Tires with larger width are ALWAYS better in mud but terrible in snow. It all counts on tires and weight in the snow.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would check and make sure your hubs are working properly. My X handles great in the snow and ice. You might have just one hub engaging. Try locking both hubs manually and see if it makes any difference. Just a thought

Old 12-08-2007, 11:48 PM
mrfixit290
Junior User
I have a 2000 ex with the V10 and she handles great in the snow. But I do have

bfg a/t also and 4X4

Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats what i have bfg a/t and they are good in the snow for a wide dirt tire. But of course they are snow rated

Old 12-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mudmaker
I would check and make sure your hubs are working properly. My X handles great in the snow and ice. You might have just one hub engaging. Try locking both hubs manually and see if it makes any difference. Just a thought
I second that! When I had a 4x4 and lived in the snow it was very difficult to bring the back end around.

I would reach behind the wheel and make sure the axle shaft DOES NOT turn when in 4HI/LO. If it does, then you need a little maintenance done to your hubs. http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/allube.html If that doesn't cure it, search the forums for fixing the vacuum line leak you may have or the faulty vacuum pulse "pump".

Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 AM
CommercialNuke
Senior User
I also agree with mudmaker. This would immediately tell you if you have a problem with the 4WD engaging. Maybe you are only achieving 3WD or 2WD. That being said, I have a 2005 4WD and I live in Oswego NY, one of the snowiest places in the country. My truck is like a rock in the snow. I have never had a problem with it, even on a hill. I still have the original tires on it, as I only have about 25K miles on it, so I can't speak to what is a better tire.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
BFG Rugged Trail T/A's (265/75R 16E) OEM tires traction su@k in wet weather.

BUT I tolerate them due to my GREAT satisfaction with towing performance.

Many have gone Goodyear Silent Armors...and the wet weather traction on those are EXCELLENT I've heard...BUT I've read those do not wear as LONG as the OEM BFG's...seems the tread pattern and softer tire compound which makes for better wet traction also comes with a price of less mileage before wearing out...

Overall everything I have read and experienced with the BFGs tell me the wet/snow traction is less than perfect...but the above suggestions are excellent to ensure the hubs ARE locked as the vacuum lock 'auto' hubs seem to be problematic...selecting the 'lock' as suggested will ensure they are locked and eliminate that possibility...then you will know if the tires just bite in the snow...

Also don't dig so hard coming out of the turns in snow!

Good luck!
joe.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:53 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
The X is so confidence inspiring in the snow and slush! With the extra weight of the truck and a set of Toyo Open Country snow tires, I was able to drive the back roads and highways at 'normal' speeds during the last snow here. When I was about to pull onto our street I put it in 2WD and the back end swung like crazy.... definitely your front hubs aren't engaging.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
rjs1965
New User
use manual mode on the hubs, otherwise according to my dealer the front end only kicks in after the rear slips. Manual is full time 4 wheel drive. I first got mine and I got stuck in my drive, I was mad, then changed hubs to manual, I could drive all over my yard in 8 plus inches. When weather is bad I leave mine in manual. Big difference

Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rjs1965
use manual mode on the hubs, otherwise according to my dealer the front end only kicks in after the rear slips. Manual is full time 4 wheel drive. I first got mine and I got stuck in my drive, I was mad, then changed hubs to manual, I could drive all over my yard in 8 plus inches. When weather is bad I leave mine in manual. Big difference
That is news to me. I have always run both of my esofs in auto. I have never had to put them in manual. the only diffence would be instant power to the front axle when you switch it to 4hi if the hubs are already locked. otherwise it might take a second or two for the vacuum to lock the hubs.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rjs1965
Your dealer gave you wrong information. Your hubs (as far as the Electronic Shift On the Fly is concerned) are bad.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:57 PM
AK-Excursion
Senior User
Man you guys are lucky, I live in Alaska and its December and still no snow, ya kind of strange and sucks.

But I got an 04 X 4x4 PSD handles very well, I got real narrow tires on it and I have to pound the gas to get the tires loose, I always drive in 2 wheel drive unless im stuck which rarely happens unless im on a steep hill with pure ice. But when in 4WD it never spins. Im very happy with how it runs in the ice, makes it so i don't have to burn all the extra fuel in 4WD.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AK-Excursion
Man you guys are lucky, I live in Alaska and its December and still no snow, ya kind of strange and sucks.

But I got an 04 X 4x4 PSD handles very well, I got real narrow tires on it and I have to pound the gas to get the tires loose, I always drive in 2 wheel drive unless im stuck which rarely happens unless im on a steep hill with pure ice. But when in 4WD it never spins. Im very happy with how it runs in the ice, makes it so i don't have to burn all the extra fuel in 4WD.
That is the best thing you can do for winter driving! Ditch the wide tires and put narrow ones on there.

I hear ya on the snow. We havent had more than an inch or two all fall here.

Quick Reply: 4X4 - Winter Driving - Snow