Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'90 OD auto trans wont shift when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Danny D
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'90 OD auto trans wont shift when cold

I have a 1990 Ford F-150 with a 5 liter V8. About six months ago just after start up, going up a hill the automatic transmission would start to fade, just like slowly pushing in the clutch on a manual. The truck would roll backwards just like it was in netural. After 30 seconds or so everything was fine. This happens maybe twice a month or less. Lately, when its cold the transmission wont shift thru the forward gears untill it warms up. Reverse, park and first (with the shifter in D or OD) work fine but it does not want to shift up. Makes the engine race. When it does shift it acts like it just forgot to and goes right into second, drives fine but has trouble with third and OD. Come to a stop and it shifts down but on the way back up it is the same thing again. After about 4 or 5 miles down the road it works ok. What makes it shift and how does it know when to shift? Maybe it is just a $10.00 part and 10 minutes to replace it. Autozone, here I come... I hope

Old 12-08-2007, 12:47 AM
dr1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you need to check your fluid level, the fluid is pretty much what makes all parts of the auto trans work.. you might need to change the filter while your at it

your clutches could be worn out but that doesnt sound like the problem, least as long as you dont keep driving it too low on fluid :P

Old 12-08-2007, 06:04 AM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Sounds like you oil cooler by pass has stuck open and the fluid is toast.
Get the kit thats offered to delete the by-pass and change the filter and fluid with "MERCON V" do not use the old mercon III. You must use "V" or mercon 5. Don't trust thus convertion fluids that make III to V they only work for a short time then they boil out and you toast the converter clutches. BTDT.....

Any 4x4 house will have the kit.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 AM
gray91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, emphasize "don't drive it too low on fluid" Doesn't take long to wreck an automatic.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Danny D
Mountain Pass
I had the transmission serviced but that did not fix it. I have noticed a few other things that may narrow my proplem down a little. I dont think it is tempature/weather related. It most always runs fine when started cold. After a mile or more down the road the shifting problem pops up. I can tell right away when it wont shift because the gas pedal feels a lot lighter (easier to push down) than normal. This hapened today when going down a slight hill with not much throttle. It seems to run in second gear and will not shift unless I really race the engine. Then the problem goes away for no reason. It will not go into OD whel the gas pedal feels light. I have been able to make it feel light by pushing the gas pedal down fast to make the trans shift into passing gear. Now the pedal has that light feel and it wont shift. I put the gear shift lever in the 1 position and back to OD and the problem is gone. I am thinking it has to be a problem with some of the gas pedal linkage since that is where I can feel it.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 AM
jnewkirk77
Senior User
Could be your TV cable. I'd definitely check that it's still fastened at both ends. And be sure to adjust it per the manual.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 AM
fmr9
Elder User
Does your truck have a E4OD transmission?
If you don't know for sure, check this article and find out.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...r_Decoder.html

If it does have a E4OD, it is completely controled electricaly. There are several sensors that send signals to the tranny or to the computer, that make it shift correctly at the right time. If any one of those sensors is bad, or the wiring , or the connection is bad, you can have lots of tranny problems. The MLPS, manual lever position switch is on the side of the tranny , and is known to get corroded connection, and cause what Ford calls a false nuetral, the tranny shifts in and out of nuetral and any time. Don't think that is your problem. On the other side of the tranny, the switch sometimes gets wet either from water, or from a little seal leaking tranny fluid into the switch. This causes weird shifting also. The sensor in the differential, VSS, is used by the computer to determine ground speed and from that when to shift. The sensor on the throttle body, TPS, is used to determine how far you are pressing on the gas pedal. All of these sensors and more I have not thought of right now, have to work right all the time or the tranny will not shift correctly. There is also a temperature sensor in the system to determine transmission fluid temp. It prevents the torque converter from locking up when the fluid is too cold. When this happens it shifts to overdrive, but the converter is not locked so the rpms don't drop. Inside the tranny there is a solenoid pack, this shifts fluid from port to port to get the different gears. They are electrical, but can stick or leak from wear or debris in the valves. Even bad grounds can cause this transmission to do weird stuff.
I would suggest going over each sensor , and switch. Some you can test, others you can just clean the connection. Examine all wiring and look at each ground.
My local tranny shop told me more than once they have rebuilt the E4od and even though it was new and working properly, the shifting problems were still there due to bad sensors. You should pray for a bad sensor. Rebuilds start around $1200 and go way up from there.
Good luck Frank

Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Danny D
Mountain Pass
Frank, What would explain the light feel of the gas pedal?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
fmr9
Elder User
Do you have the E4OD?
By light feeling gas pedal, do you mean it feels like a standard and you have your foot riding the clutch?
Frank