1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Sudden shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sudden shutdown

'94, 4.0, 5spd stk, 4x4, 176.xxx mi, and I have a wierd problem. Driving down the road the engine suddenly shuts off for less then a second and then starts up with a jolt. It shuts off the cel for 2-3 seconds and then the light comes back on. That leads me to think that the problem is electrical rather than something machinical in nature. I know I need to pull codes but between work, the cold, and shoveling 3 feet of snow in the last week, I won't be pulling codes until Sunday.
So...
Off the top of your heads, can anyone possibly shed a light on my problem? The problem is gradually getting worse and it doesn't matter if it is in 4x4, under acceleration, or just cruising at 55mph. Neither does the gear I'm in ( my first thought was 'oh sitt! the tranny is going south'). I don't suffer a massive electrical failure as my lights continue to work when it does it.
Figures it would wait until winter to start this acting up.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Rags
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be your EEC relay! or the power going to it. It is located in the power distribution block under the hood next to the battery. If your truck is equipped with A/C, Switch the EEC relay with the A/C relay and give it a try ( They are the same relays ), Also check the main power lead to the distribution box.

Just a couple things to check!