2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT vs. P Rated Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
kaerch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my next tire will be 275/65-18 michelin ltx at2. imho michelin tires are superior to any else out there. "p" tire replacing "lt" omg, omg, omg. its a 114 load rating. guarantee ya that michelin is tougher and stronger than the goodyear..

Old 12-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kaerch
i think its funny how these threads stir it up, the load rating comes from the # in front of the speed rating number. i have oe goodyear at/s an lt tire load c; the load rating is 114s. take a lokk at all these "p" tires load ratings - you will find they are 114. thats what matters. going to a load d or e is not safer by any means, it will cause the vehicle to drive in a different manner than designed, thus making it less safe in fact... the letter behind the load range # is speed rating s and t are very close. lincoln trucks came with h's pilot ltx to handle better i guess...
I'm not saying that a LT tire is better than a P tire when it comes to load rating...I am talking about wear/tear and driveability. the P tire is soft and gives the truck a spongy feeling. the tread compounds are typically of a less resiliant rubber than LT tires and subsequently, the P tires have a dramatic reduction in life span.

I've said it before (maybe in this thread?), Try towing a trailer with P tires...or carry a heavy load in the bed. Then do the exact same thing with a LT tire. You will never buy a P tire for a truck again. The difference is dramatic.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it is an absolute joke that Ford puts P rated tires on trucks. Oh what you have to do, to please the gas mileage gods (lower rolling resistance = higher fleet mpg numbers). I have never gotten a good ride out of a P rated tire on a truck. In fact, I blew through almost a dozen P rated tires on my 2004 and 2006 F150s, because they would deform, bubble the side walls, go out of round, etc... all UNACCEPTABLE for my money. I also have serious concern about the sidewall rigidity of the P rated units. My truck would sway like the dickens with those tires. With a good LT tire, it was a very firm ride, as well as solid tire profile when loaded or going through turns. My 06 is gone now... and the new truck has E rated tires. Should be interesting to see how crappy the Continentals are on the Super Duties (I have not heard many good things about them). As always, just my opinion, and YMMV.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 PM
dadirtydogg
Senior User
i couldn't agree more after going from p rated to lt. if i wanted it to ride like a car i'd have bought a car. with a 3" front 1" rear lift and lt 10 ply tires, yeah it rides a bit rougher than when i bought it, but it's a truck, ur supposed to feel the bumps in my opinion. came with michelin pilots, probably the worst tire i've ever had for wet, snow and ice traction. and the sidewalls sagged way too much, just didn't look like a truck tire at all

Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
fordtruckowner
Senior User
You LT guys are about to change my mind on this tire issue. I have not bit the bullet as yet. I thought my mind was made up to go with the Michelin Cross Terrain which is a soft riding P rated tire mainly used in the SUV world. But I must admit that some of your arguments make a lot of sense. I mean I did buy a TRUCK so I guess it is not suppose to ride like a car as someone mentioned above. I do have a good Michelin option to the Cross Terrain (don't forget wife works at Michelin) that will fit the bill in a 275/70R18 or 285/65R18 It's the new LTX A/T2.
Have any of you heard anything about them, they are relative new to the market.
Thanks,

Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I have P rated tires on my truck. I pull my 25' travel trailer, haul what I need to haul, plow through what I need to on the farm and I have never had a problem or any handling issues. I get excellent wear and a smooth ride out of my truck. I don't see what the extra expense and rougher ride would give me in return. If I wanted a struck that rode rough, I could have bought a Dodge.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Jaynen
Junior User
Just curious. I have an 05 f150 screw fx4 so it has the goodyear wrangler AT/S tires (which I see a lot of bad reviews on) but they are wearing good and have good tread on them. According to Tire Rack it seems all of these are actual LT tires rated C/D/E depending on size? So my truck did not come with P rated tires then?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Jaynen
Junior User
Originally Posted by osbornk
I have P rated tires on my truck. I pull my 25' travel trailer, haul what I need to haul, plow through what I need to on the farm and I have never had a problem or any handling issues. I get excellent wear and a smooth ride out of my truck. I don't see what the extra expense and rougher ride would give me in return. If I wanted a struck that rode rough, I could have bought a Dodge.
Which tires are you running? And can agree on the ride of all the Dodges I have been in.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jaynen
Which tires are you running? And can agree on the ride of all the Dodges I have been in.
I have the stock General whatevers.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious. I have an 05 f150 screw fx4 so it has the goodyear wrangler AT/S tires (which I see a lot of bad reviews on) but they are wearing good and have good tread on them. According to Tire Rack it seems all of these are actual LT tires rated C/D/E depending on size? So my truck did not come with P rated tires then?
The upgraded tire on the FX4s are the Goodyear Wranglers. The stock tires would have been BFG Rugged Trail P rated.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osbornk
I had P rated tires on the 04 F150 and I pulled a 30' camper with it. It pulled fine, I was getting a decent ride, etc.....
I put LT, E load rating, 10 ply tires and the truck still rides just a smooth(for a truck), pulls the camper with less side to side sway...... I'll never have another set of P tires on one of my trucks again.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
18,000 miles on my Wranglers...good traction and they're wearing very well...I fully expect to get another 20,000+ out of 'em if I don't put 35" on first

my only complaint, well 2: not very aggressive looking and I did a brakestand so 2 of them are a little abused looking...but overall ok

oh yeah, they are LT tires