Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duramax burning ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
It burns just fine in my waste oil furnace!! Just like used motor oil and other 10-50wt oils.

But if any of "YOU PEOPLE" that burn waste oil in your diesels saw the ash left and hard deposits left behind in the furnace combustion chamber, you would stop burning waste oil in your expensive engines in a "New York Minute"!!

Cheers,

Rick

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
fordfaninIL.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a waste oil furnace at work, and all we burn is used atf. It does leave an incredible amount of ash behind and if you don't clean it every year before heating you have trouble. I can only imagine that you would go through fuel filters like crazy, no matter how many times you filter the atf, you will not get all of the sediment out.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used additives for a long time with good results... best were with Lucas Products.... I am a little dubious about the exclusive use of Stanadyne Products... if their claims are true.... why would they want to sell the product..??? Their business is selling Injection Pumps and Injectors... why would they want to cut that busness by selling a product that extends the life of either item???
The biggest benifit to additives came in the early ninties when they first switched to low sulphur fuel... the heating process that removed the sulfur, dried out the fuel and cut the lubricating qualities to nil... the immediate result was.. in vehicles that used a rotary type pump... stanadynes in GM and Ford Trucks and VE Bosch in Dodge... these pumps were lubricated ONLY by the fuel that ran through them. Ag equipment didnt fall under the low sulphur thing so were uneffected by the change... until the refiners started putting additive in the fuel a couple years later... there was an extremely high rate of pump failure in these trucks... and injector problems to a lessor degree. The P series inline pump found on Cummins B series from 94 to 98 and on all C series engines and John Deere engine over 100 hp , were not affected as bad... the lower end of the pump.. cam and bearings, governor, advance... all are lubricated by pressurized engine oil.... adds to the life of the pump... only thing not lubed by engine oil is the delivery valves and metering valves on these pumps..... thats where all the additive craze got started.... personally I either use a little two stroke oil or the lucas fuel treatment.... ATF will eventually cause injector tip burn and hot spots in the combustion chamber from the deposits it can leave behind if blended too heavy. I know guys that use good clean hydraulic oil with good results...as a blend... just never tried it... neighbor does it at a 25% rate in everything on his ranch and claims a 2-3 mpg improvement in fuel milage and a little better horsepower... has been doing it since fuel went over $1.50 a gallon... but he doesnt own a powerstroke... or a duramax.... just old fords and dodges

Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
when i pulled tnker ,,i wuld get drinings of atf.it rn like champ,,,atf burns in a diesel just fine. heel, several times i added 50 gals to bout 150 fuel and it ran just great. that crboned up engine only lasted 1,400,000 miles before i scraped it and sold the engine/trans for 6500 bucks. i always wondered if l that atf just wore the whole old freightliner just plain out. or was it the synthetic lubes and oil and 15 years of hard trucking? tht kta nws pitting out about 750 hp too formost of its life.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:40 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
when i pulled tanker ,,i wuld get drinings of atf.it ran like a champ,,,atf burns in a diesel just fine. heel, several times i added 50 gals to bout 150 fuel and it ran just great. that crboned up engine only lasted 1,400,000 miles before i scraped it and sold the engine/trans for 6500 bucks. i always wondered if l that atf just wore the whole old freightliner just plain out. or was it the synthetic lubes and oil and 15 years of hard trucking? tht kta nws pitting out about 750 hp too formost of its life.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
over the years of tank truck hauling i did,,i ran lots of atf and regular oil through my engines. never hurt anything,,i always added it to the off side tank so it had time to mix in. atf makes a diesel run very smooth and dosent hurt a thing. but im probably just an old trucker tellin tales. the tales i hear are on the web sites from peolpe who dont seem to know anything about what they are talking about. close to 3,500,000 miles of trucking taught me more than a few things, and one is that additives only make money for the shisters who sell that crap and disel fuel is diese fuel and synthetic lubes are the only way to go, along with radisl tubeless tires.