Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 AM
meier63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fluid

I tried to edit my last post titled low drone (in a drum) grinding noise, but was unsuccessful, so I'll kinda add it here.
I know it has been said that the correct steering reservoir fluid is MerconV, which is ATF, correct? That being said, why does the cap on mine say power steering fluid? I'am almost positive that my reservoir contains PSF,as it it a clear/ brownish color. If indeed it is supposed to be ATF, could having PSF in it cause it to maybe make some sort of grinding noise. Never heard a bad one so I have no idea what it would sound like or if I would just ''feel'' it in the steering.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Cant say i know what the 'grinding" is, but i flushed my p/s fluid out, with synthetic Amsoil ATF.

Low drone, possibly the "whining" your hearing, well i tried the flush thing with no help, eventually it got so bad, but steering was uneffected by it, i went ahead and replace the pump anyhow. Now, the sound is all but deminished, topped back off with ATF, and couldnt be more stoked.

Alot of members however, will agree/say, that after a p/s flush with the mobil syn, that the p/s pumps' whine/function were a night/day difference...

Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is how to do the flush. Get 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for the job. Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com

I would try this first. Helped many on here with the noise.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
meier63
Senior User
Great info. I need to do this a.s.a.p. given the fact that mine has p.s.f in it.
I really dont have a whine tho. It's more like a ''sharpening an ax, on a grinding wheel, at a low speed''. Ok, humor me ,just looking for ways to describe it! And why the power steering fluid on the cap, if it takes atf?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by meier63
Great info. I need to do this a.s.a.p. given the fact that mine has p.s.f in it.
I really dont have a whine tho. It's more like a ''sharpening an ax, on a grinding wheel, at a low speed''. Ok, humor me ,just looking for ways to describe it! And why the power steering fluid on the cap, if it takes atf?

ATF is the type of power steering fluid to use in this system.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
meier63
Senior User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
ATF is the type of power steering fluid to use in this system.
Ok, now I'am officially lost! I thought ATF stood for automatic transmission fluid. I wasn't aware there are different types of power steering fluid.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
the ATF is used in the power stearing.. the pump also helps the brakes...i dont know why your cap has PSF on it maybe someone changed it and put the wrong cap on it

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM
meier63
Senior User
Well thats what I thought. But are you saying some trucks took psf, and some took atf? I wouldn't think that to be true! Anyway, would psf cause damage to the pump?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by meier63
Well thats what I thought. But are you saying some trucks took psf, and some took atf? I wouldn't think that to be true! Anyway, would psf cause damage to the pump?
not that i am aware of, all our trucks use ATF...what damage, i am not sure maybe others will chime in on that..I would change/flush it asap though..

Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
meier63
Senior User
My bad Joey, This is a continuation of another thread I started a few days ago titled low drone (in a drum ) grinding noise. Just wondering if what we're talking about could cause a low drone grinding noise. I cant for the life of me find out what is causing it !

Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What I would do is flush your p/s with ATF and replace that cap and see if you still have the low drone sound. I would think regular PSF (the clear kind not for our trucks) could and would cause damage to the pump. I would only use PSF for an emergency situation.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM
tennesseecoalroller0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a video on youtube about changing the fluid in your power steering pump it is by a member on here by the name of trey spooner and that is his youtube name too look it up he mentions the types of fluid for these pumps fwiw just my .02

Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tennesseecoalroller0
there is a video on youtube about changing the fluid in your power steering pump it is by a member on here by the name of trey spooner and that is his youtube name too look it up he mentions the types of fluid for these pumps fwiw just my .02
Thats funny that you mention Trey Spooner, he used to be on here alot unless he changed his profile name to something else.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
He changed his user name... its A/ox or something like that.

I use ATF and Lucas PS stop leak...

I can turn my 37's without issue... Its the only Lucas crap I will recommend.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
He changed his user name... its A/ox or something like that.
I thought that was him but wasnt sure.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid