1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Winter Driving Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Driving Tips?

We had a coulpe inches of snow over the holiday and I've already seen severals cars in the ditch. Thought it might be a good idea if we revisit some good winter driving techniques as the season is approaching.

The first thing I was told while driving truck was when you start losing control or lost traction make sure you push in the clutch and don't hit the brakes.

I'm sure you guys have some good advice out there... so lets hear it!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
keep the hubs locked LOL

Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add weight in the FRONT of the bed. (not the back by the tailgate). Go slow. If you have an auto and going downhill put it in neutral. If on ice don't make it spin thinking it will burn thru the ice, just touch the pedal till it spins and let off letting it grab traction again. Remember if it spins you have NO control. Try getting traction. Carry sand in the back to put under the tires when on ice. Carry blankets and clothing including boots in bad weather. Canned food is not a bad idea in extreme locations.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Good thread Farm. Here are my findings in snow, or bad weather. They may seem unconventional or stupid, but I think a little playing makes a good winter driver. Before I start, I want to say that I grew up in NM driving a 2wd ranger. I had no issues driving in snow up to about 10 inches. Without chains.

First, when you know you have help, put yourself in "could get stuck" situations. See how your vehicle reacts. But do so in a place where you know your surroundings. Don't do this in places where you are unsure of the terrain. The big thing here is snow hides things like rocks, ditches, holes, etc. So know where you are.

Second, do some doughnuts, slam on the breaks, spin the tires. Just do crazy things with your truck. YES, I'M SERIOUS. See what the truck does. But when you do these things, try to finish whatever you do with the truck facing, or going in the direction you want to go. In other words, try to pull these idiotic moves off in control. Always be aware of what's around you. Just have fun with it. And do it often. Practice makes perfect.

Think about these things when you are playing.

Can I control a good drift?
How hard can I press the brakes before lockup?
How fast can I go and still steer?
How smooth do I need to let out the clutch or accelerate before the tires break loose.

Basicly, by playing in the snow you will put yourself in situations similar to running down the road. And having already been in those situations by playing, you will pretty much know how your truck will react.

So now you are underway with the family in the truck, there are some things to remember.

1. Go SLOW.
2. If you are on ice, you have NO control unless you have studs and you are at the mercy of the angle of road you are on.
3. Always wear your seatbelt.
4. Carry a spare belt and phone. If you bust a huge snow drift and you get stuck two things have to happen.
1a. The truck needs to continue to run for warmth. Most of the time you hit alot of snow, it will fill the engine compartment and most likely knock your belt off. You can dig the snow out and reinstall the belt, or put a new one on. The rest will melt away while you wait for help.
2a. Call for help, if you forgot your cell, your left to wave someone down and pray they are prepared.
5. Always have more than a half of tank of fuel. If you are stuck, you need to be prepared to sit for a while, and for heat the engine needs to run.
6. It never hurts to carry chains and a jack. If you do get stuck, it will be a pain in the ***, but you can get chains on in the field with enough digging and time.
7. Dress, or bring clothes like you are gonna be stuck with no heat. That way if you do have to dig out, you will be warm and not freeze to death trying to dig your family out.
8. Have a blanket or two in the truck, that way if the truck won't run, you've got a chance.

In the end, just don't go out in it un prepared. And always tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be there. Mother nature is unforgiving and there is no substitute for backup.

So go out and have some fun in the snow, it just might help you when you least expect it. Just knowing how to drive like a jackass in bad weather has saved me more times than I care to count when I wasn't trying to be a jackass. LOL If that makes any sense.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
drive at a reasonable speed for the road conditions. go easy on all the pedals. travel with a cell phone/CB/2way radio. dont ride the plow trucks @$$.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT OF THE FIRE TRUCKS WAY! (that means pull over and STOP) we have a hard enough time when its not icing/snowing!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
wow, GREAT post RD. tons of valuable info there. tried to rep ya, but it tells me i gotta spread the love first..........???

Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Duck has many good points just be sure to test it where you are familiar and have help. You don't wanna hit a curb and knock yourself silly and noone find you till morning.

Kudos Duck

Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Thanks man.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
number 1/ dont forget the can opener
number 2- as for playing. 2 thumbs up, i do it every year, practice makes perfect
number 3- places to practice? try grocery store lots at 10 pm. or your neighbors field. that gives you a grip on how the truck handles on and offroad in bad weather.

number 4- carry that cellphone AND a cb. mine doesnt get much use but it has been used to pull a few people out......yes we still use them up here.......and i ususally dont take cash for helping. lol
number 5- prechecks on your vehicle BEFORE going out! nothing like checking the trans fluid on the side of the road cause it wont shift. dont want to find that nail in the tire after youre an hour away from home

Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Reps sent Duck. Gotta add to those 2 beanies.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Thanks Neal. And also, this is an opportunity to do things in your truck that would normally break it, or normally don't have the power to do. I always enjoy it. Here in TX it doesn't snow much, but when it does I'm usually the only one at work. LOL I don't know if that's good or bad. LOL

Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I believe we covered the basics here.
1- Go slow
2- Use your head
3- have communication
4- Play first

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Add be prepared for the worst and I think that list covers it.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Ditto Duck!

Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
and always play!! if you dont learn anything at least you have fun trying

Quick Reply: Winter Driving Tips?