Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Home made hydrogen and 25 ft blackie

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Home made hydrogen and 25 ft blackie

I know I wrote a question post couple days ago about oxygen injection, and the answer was basically that it will go boom.

However, If you've ever watched a science show, you might have seen how to seaparate oxygen and hydrogen out of water, using DC electricity.

Well, instead of a 9v battery and 2 wires like on the show, I decided to use a 500w computer power supply, and a 20L pail with 32 wires made from coat hangars.

After i installed a plastic collection tube from the top, i caulked all the little holes and put the lid on.

8 hours later, i had a huge garbage bag full of oxygen and hydrogen.

I took a piece of thin plastic hose, and taped it into the partially opened air box, and duct taped it all up air tight.

I put a piece of thin paper over the end, so that when i hit the throttle, the paper should break, letting the gas into the intake. (before the filter)

Before I let this rip wide open, I tried letting little bits of hydrogen into the intake from the generator. Idled a little funny, but not close to the 10k mod does.

So, after that, i backed out onto the road, and punched it. WOT.

The truck accelerated normally until the RPMs hit around 1600, 10 psi, and then, it happened.

Instantaneously, RPM's hit over 3000 somewhere, and boost went off the guage (wastegate failure?), speedometer hit 50 km/h and the truck layed 2 perfect black strips down the street.
Everything seemed to work fine, no hiccups except the tranny shifted so hard that i thought for sure the drive shaft was ripped off.

No idea how much HP was made, Anyone lay a strip like that, that knows their HP ratings?

I know that a really hot engine could ignite gases in the intake, so next time i wish i could get water injection or something...

I was very impressed how the truck put the power to the ground, the rear end must have locked instantly, making the best, uniform looking blackie i've ever seen!!!

No, i'm not a scientist - this whole thing is because I don't have a tuner or HP chip !!

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Yes, i know. I need to get guages. (EGT)

Anyone know what kind of HP it would take to lay 25 ft of rubber? I'm curious to know what hp i made. ?

No, this is not a joke.

2002 xcab 4x4 7.3

Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
id say about 600 hp

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You seriously built a hydrogen generator and installed it on a Powerstoke? That is soooo cool. Nothing better than free energy.

You should put an ampmeter on it so that you can tell when your leads get corroded. Might also be a good idea to power it from the vehicles electrical system so that it only generates when the truck is running.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
holy shnikey's, 600? thats crazy.

If i could only build an actual system, praxiar hydrogen cylinder, regulator, and metering system.......

There IS a hydrogen injection system available, but its for semi's, and designed to inject small amounts generated from the alternator. It claims to pay for itself.

I wish i had 100,000$ at my disposal to reseach this in a lab, instead of in 60 km/h wind gusts, prying duct tape off my clothes.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
No, i was just kidding about the HP. In reality you probably peaked 270ish or so, for a safe guess. Were the lines this pretty?

I smell Ernest coming!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
It's not free energy, it probably cost 20cents to make 5 cents worth of hydrogen.

Theres probably pic's of hydrogen generators on the net, but if anyone PM's me i''ll take a couple pics...of mine.

No, the generator is not ON the truck, only a garbage bag full of gas.
Powering the generator from the batteries would use more power than it could make.

No such thing as free power.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Holy, no, my lines were not that pretty, but i fugure 25 ft is pretty got gallop for not holding the brakes, and just pavement......

Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
There IS a hydrogen injection system available, but its for semi's,
I would imagine there are more than one available. People have been toying with hydrogen since the 1800's. A trickle system would probably be your best bet given the cost of fuel. Everything I've ever read on the subject suggests that a 20% fuel savings is the norm. Not sure if I would have the stones to experiment as a power mod like you did. Unregulated gasses flooding the intake is a little intimidating.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm... O.K...... your new nick name is Dr. Emmit Brown, please also include a pic of the latest flux capaciter......, and please be careful(if you try this agin) to not overspeed your engine. Just ask Cookie for the pics of his buddies engine that was overspeed when he missed a gear.

One last question. Was there beer or whiskey involved in this experiment?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
How big is your generator? A couple of pints of water and a 20 amp draw on the stock system should make plenty to get you down the road.

Obviously there are no free lunches.....but given the current cost of fuel it may be worth the effort.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
A little vodka, check this out, they even have a powerstoke running one !!!!

http://www.savefuel.ca/oxy-hydrogen/

Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Not a good idea to try that, hydrogen and oxygen is highly reactive and explosive. It could allow your engine to run away, or explode. If you could meter the mixture in very precise amounts, it may be safer. Well I'm guessing the mixture was pretty diluted from all the other intake air, but if it was just pure oxy and hyrdogen, woulda had a bomb on yer hands

I still don't know how your boost guage would've gotten pegged that quicly like that, unless your turbo pushed that much boost that quickly, or the intake gasses ignited from oxygen touching oily and greasy intake

Last edited by Lead Head; 11-14-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
yeah, my turbo probably saw its life flashing before its eyes....

I don't know why it went that high, I have to confess, it only goes to 20 psi, but the needle went past 20, to where 30 WOULD be, and it hit the stop pin. it hit that pin so fast that it definately would be 3x lbs pressure...

And, it sounded, almost like there were 2 turbo's( if that makes any sense?)

It did all this so fast, that I forgot to look how much the bag was deflated, and by the time i looked, it was empty, half sucked into the hose.

The tranny, i SWEAR, felt like it locked up, it shifted so hard. Thats when i let go of the throttle.

I wonder why wastegate didnt work. isnt it supposed to limit PSI to 28?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
The wastegate is no more than a bleed valve. It opens at around 5 psi and bleeds off xx% boost. No matter how much boost you add on top of that it can't open any further.

You basically introduced an unlimited fuel supply to the engine, therefore the boost potential was only limited by the physical capacity of the turbo........you are lucky it didn't come apart for the sound of it.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by parkland
yeah, my turbo probably saw its life flashing before its eyes....

I don't know why it went that high, I have to confess, it only goes to 20 psi, but the needle went past 20, to where 30 WOULD be, and it hit the stop pin. it hit that pin so fast that it definately would be 3x lbs pressure...

And, it sounded, almost like there were 2 turbo's( if that makes any sense?)

It did all this so fast, that I forgot to look how much the bag was deflated, and by the time i looked, it was empty, half sucked into the hose.

The tranny, i SWEAR, felt like it locked up, it shifted so hard. Thats when i let go of the throttle.

I wonder why wastegate didnt work. isnt it supposed to limit PSI to 28?
While I'm not sure, but I think a wastegate just makes exhaust gasses bypass the turbo, instead of actually venting boost? So if the intake gasses had ignited, it wouldn't have mattered.

Quick Reply: Home made hydrogen and 25 ft blackie