Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap mods

Old 05-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
cheap mods

does anyone know of cheap power mods for the 300 6? im a high schooler with a very limited budged and i can't go without this truck for more than a day or 2. im looking for something bolt on, that'll increase the power. a 2 barrel carb im thinking of if i can find the adaptor. i have an open air breather, new plugs, wires, coil, rotar, dist. anything else that can increase power?

Old 05-16-2002, 11:29 PM
spshultz
Senior User
cheap mods

I don't believe there is anything that will net you a large increase without getting just a bit spendy.

I did an MSD coil and upped the plug gap on my '85. Helped smooth it out. Also went with Brass cap and rotor. Going to do MSD-6A soon. Also rebuilt my 1bbl carb and put 3" hi-flow cat, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series muffler and 2.5" exhaust on. This brought it back to stock power (was in need of a major tuneup when I bought it) and it sounds damn good.

But to see something noticeable you will need 2bbl or 4bbl carb, intake, headers and probably a cam.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:22 AM
tetraruby
Posting Guru
cheap mods

I'm doing the MSD swap next week, will let you know how it goes - here or in '73-'70 forum. I posted a message a while ago (turned into a pissing match) about disengaging the EGR. There's a distinct difference when the WOT valve opens, effectively closing the EGR, in power because of increased displacement. If you have an EGR valve installed and want to try it out, simply plug the EGR vacuum line with a golf tee(temporary) and try it out. I'm sure you have a similar setup as to my '79 F100 - incedently same color too.