6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Lie O Meter

Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lie O Meter

With 7800 mi on the clock,my Lie O Meter has settled down at 13MPG unloaded City driving for the last 1000mi. When I first got the truck I frequently reset the milage and got very encouraging numbers like 19-20MPG. I think that is why some posters are claiming fantastic milage that sounds too good to be true. Ya need to leave the reset button alone even if you don't like the numbers it is giving you. My hand calculated MPG is pretty close to what the computer is saying now.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
RangerEdgeO2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My lie-o-meter doesn't do anything.

My lie-o-meter has stayed at 11.8 to 11.9 MPG since I bought the truck but, my economy (hand calculated) has ranged from 9mpg (first week or so I had it) to 15ish (last fill up) though, the lie-o-meter hasn't moved up or down to indicate the difference in MPG (these numbers are all city mpg...I rarely get on the highway).

I have a little over 4500 miles on the truck and have never reset the lie-o-meter, just the quick trip a/b miles every fill up and the engine hours get reset every oil change (so far one time).

Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
BFSD350
Junior User
Weird,

My Lie O Meter is pretty darn accurate. I have compared it to my hand calculated #s a bunch of times and the it doesn't really lie that much.

Fish

Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I reset mine every tank, and hand calculate it. The meter is usually within 0.5 mpg from my numbers. Depending on my driving I've been getting 15.5 mpg with a lot of city, to 20 mpg all highway.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Originally Posted by RangerEdgeO2
My lie-o-meter doesn't do anything.

My lie-o-meter has stayed at 11.8 to 11.9 MPG since I bought the truck but, my economy (hand calculated) has ranged from 9mpg (first week or so I had it) to 15ish (last fill up) though, the lie-o-meter hasn't moved up or down to indicate the difference in MPG (these numbers are all city mpg...I rarely get on the highway).

I have a little over 4500 miles on the truck and have never reset the lie-o-meter, just the quick trip a/b miles every fill up and the engine hours get reset every oil change (so far one time).
Do you reset your MPG meter after every fueling, or have you not touched it since you bought it? If you've got 11.8 MPG over 4,500 miles, it's going to take a lot to move it. The MPG readout is an average, not instantaneous reading.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
RangerEdgeO2
Senior User
Nope, I have never reset it. I'll reset it tomorrow b4 I leave home.

Since it's an average, after the reset, it should take a few tanks before it displays the correct MPG right?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Originally Posted by RangerEdgeO2
Nope, I have never reset it. I'll reset it tomorrow b4 I leave home.

Since it's an average, after the reset, it should take a few tanks before it displays the correct MPG right?
It shows your average MPG since you last reset it. As you saw, after 4,500 miles, it doesn't change much. After you reset it, you'll see it jump around a lot the first 100 miles or so. At least it does for me. I drive in pretty much the same conditions everyday, but if you drive city one day and highwy the next, it'll move all over the place.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
I've been resetting mine after each fill up. It will give you some good numbers for the first 100 miles or so, but it does take a while to settle down to very close. Also, if you'll read your manual, (I don't have it in front of me right now), but it says to check your highway mileage... set your cruise control, wait for about 5 minutes or so, then reset the MPG and it will give you your highway average. Something like that.

Search this Thread