Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
pinceau
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mediaman67
actually...

this leads me to another question...

Can you run exhaust cat free? or does the engine need that back pressure from the cat? - they are changing the emission laws here, and they will not be checking cars older than 96 anymore for emmisions... but if a cat is needed for some reason, of course, that would be needed.

I would think anything that restricts exhaust flow would hamper performance - I want to get the 3.0L in this thing as free flowing as I can :-)
I have discarded mine on my 3,0L (1989 with no EGR), it's more reactive now but I don't know if it's the better way, I have better response in high rev but i'm not sure if I've gained something in torque at low rpm. The problem is that this van has never run correctly, so when I removed the cat I have also fixed ignition and injection problems at the same time; I'm not completly sure if the improvements came from the cat discarding.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:49 PM
mediaman67
Laughing Gas
how do I know if I have an EGR valve on mine? is that mounted on the intake somewhere? I would think that any 3.0L from 1989 all used the same set up, but maybe not - I know it was the only engine for that year.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it - but I hate to do that for not much gain - if it was night and day, no question... Bear said he had luck with the 4.0L, and doing something like that... but my Exp is a 96, with the 4L, but it needs to pass inspection, and don't think that would allow it to do so :-)

Still, if it would help my little 3L - that would be great...

did you just replace it with a piece of pipe then?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:34 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Side Pipes

From VanGo: "I saw a newer (not the latest gen) Mustang today with sidepipes. It looked sweet but how could they do that and keep the cat(s)?"

If it really was a set of full-length side pipes, they probably did not use cats, so it would be of questionable legality.

There is a company that makes a turbo style muffler that has the exit pipe coming out the same end as the inlet pipe, so with a properly bent pipe attached to that, it comes out just in front of the rear tires. So what you see is whatever decorative tip they install onto the end, but going out the side. This design has been found to be more restrictive than the "nromal" muffler designs that exit out the back.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 PM
pinceau
Junior User
Originally Posted by mediaman67
how do I know if I have an EGR valve on mine? is that mounted on the intake somewhere?

did you just replace it with a piece of pipe then?
I think EGR is on the driver side of the engine, between exhaust manifold and intake, just beside PCV line port.
Instead cat I have installed a flame stopper, used in race cars, that look like a cherry bomb filled with stainlesss steel wool, without it you can melt the muffler; the man who do periodical cars inspection is a friend.

I have also wrapped Thermo-Tec around the pipe, GREAT!!!!