1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

have you ever checked to make sure you really own your truck?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhhh, crappy pistons, weak rods, unable to make hp numbers over 300, rides like a dump truck, worthless transmission and crappy dealer service......LMAO!!!

Cowboy Steve

Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 383 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
All my friends have Duramax trucks, they love 'em. Im gonna buy one to tune with. Still role the 6.4 for towing. Gotta have a truck that can roll coal

Cowboy Steve
alot of the guys I work with say some of the same things, the, 6.0 leaves alot to be desired, a dodge is an expensive wrapper for a cummins so where does that leave you?? either turn to the bow-tie side or keep drivin' the 7.3. as for me the 7.3 serves me well, but I'm not looking for huge HP or jaw dropping performance, just pull my trailers and start every morning, and as yet the old girl hasn't let me down, and besides, I know Steve will push a truck to its limits, and I wanted to know how the duramax would hold up, sorry the thread went O/T I was just curious as to Steve's thoughts

Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh and really expensive trannies!! The lastest diesel power mag says a good rebuild for an Allison will run you $4500 for parts only!!!! And once you add more than 100hp to a D-max they need major tranny work. The Allison is not the end all as most think it is.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Dont believe everything you read in Diesel Power Tim, lol. Over on the diesel garage guys are runnin a SunCoast convertor and PPE clutch packs with upgraded VB's and are fully supporting the 350hp PPE tunes with the supporting mods.

Cowboy Steve

Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 97-psd
alot of the guys I work with say some of the same things, the, 6.0 leaves alot to be desired, a dodge is an expensive wrapper for a cummins so where does that leave you?? either turn to the bow-tie side or keep drivin' the 7.3. as for me the 7.3 serves me well, but I'm not looking for huge HP or jaw dropping performance, just pull my trailers and start every morning, and as yet the old girl hasn't let me down, and besides, I know Steve will push a truck to its limits, and I wanted to know how the duramax would hold up, sorry the thread went O/T I was just curious as to Steve's thoughts
The Duramax is where the diesel performance world is headed regardless of what others may think. The 7.3 is a great motor and a fun one at that to drive when its all jacked up but the 7.3 just dosn't compete with the Duramax and Cummins. So what Im sayin is that I can sink another bundle of coin inot the 7.3 and still be strugglin to keep with the rest of the pack or I can sink half as much coin into the Duramax and make substantial amounts of power and be a contender in the pack vs. being an outsider lookin in. Either way, its gonna be fun and Im excited to get my hands on one and some EFI live software.

Cowboy Steve

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Dont believe everything you read in Diesel Power Tim, lol. Over on the diesel garage guys are runnin a SunCoast convertor and PPE clutch packs with upgraded VB's and are fully supporting the 350hp PPE tunes with the supporting mods.

Cowboy Steve
Sounds like major tranny work to me.....

Just saying that everyone hears the Allison name and bow in reverence. They don't know what they are talking about! They shift nice and the tow/haul mode is nice but the A-1000 isn't as tough as the 2 or 3000.

Also I certianly don't believe everything on DP mag!! Like the latest article on head studs in a 6.0 where they reused the head gasket!!!!

BtW Steve send me a reply on that last PM!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Sounds like major tranny work to me.....

Just saying that everyone hears the Allison name and bow in reverence. They don't know what they are talking about! They shift nice and the tow/haul mode is nice but the A-1000 isn't as tough as the 2 or 3000.

Also I certianly don't believe everything on DP mag!! Like the latest article on head studs in a 6.0 where they reused the head gasket!!!!

BtW Steve send me a reply on that last PM!
Yes your correct about the allison not being whats its cracked up to be. In many aspects the 5R100 is better then the allison IMO.

The headgasket deal was good. I to wondered why they didnt shell out the coin for new ones........

Reply sent. I thought I already shot ya a pm but I checked my records and it seems I must not have sent it. let me know

Cowboy Steve