Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering going south?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 AM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering going south?

Lately I've been feeling a slight wobble in the steering wheel when its returning back to center after a turn (right or left). The steering also doesn't return fully to center by itself. It's the last full turn back to center that I feel it. Also if I force it back, the wobble feel is not there, it's only when I'm letting it slide between my fingers. I can feel it also in my truck because it causes the truck to rock a little until it centers.

Has anyone had these issues?

I've checked the fluid level, fluid was replaced about a year ago with synthetic ATF.

Thanks in advance....

Dave.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Alpine6
Senior User
Does it have a fair amount of dead space? Meaning, you can turn your wheel and nothing happens?

My steering sucked so, after doing ball joints because of the lean and popping, I just bought all new Napa stuff (drag link, tie rod, and ends). Best $400 I've spent, along w/ an alignment. Steering is considered tight w/ 35's.

Matt

Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
kawika
Elder User
Originally Posted by Alpine6
Does it have a fair amount of dead space? Meaning, you can turn your wheel and nothing happens?

My steering sucked so, after doing ball joints because of the lean and popping, I just bought all new Napa stuff (drag link, tie rod, and ends). Best $400 I've spent, along w/ an alignment. Steering is considered tight w/ 35's.

Matt
When the motor is shut down, I have 5 - 8 inches of play, but once the motor is running, it tightens up where I have only a couple of inches of play. I just replaced the drag link, tie rod and ends just a few months ago and everything was fine then, alignment was done after. I do not think my ball joins are bad, but will have to check again. Seems worse when it is colder.

Dave.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
rjwood5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your steering dampener damaged. I was having similar problem with not returning to center then saw the steering dampener was bent from high centering. Next thing that happened was completly knocking if off on a rock. Centering problem went away so am leaving it off.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM
kawika
Elder User
I removed the steering dampener awhile back due to hard to turn and also found the dampener damaged (large dents). I was going to place a new one back on but the bracket broke when replacing the Tie Rods.

Dave.