Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Stroked V10?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 AM
71convertible
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stroked V10?

Anybody making a stroker kit for the 5.4L that could be applied to our v10's. I've done some web searching and everbody seems to concentrate on the 4.6L stroker kits.
I'm thinking that or twin turbo . Sounds like fun in any case. I saw a post on junkyardturbo.com about a single turbo v10 that picked up 3+ mpg on a remote mount system specked for towing. Peaked my interest to say the least. I think JYT.com is pretty much toast now, All I found for current posts was ****.

I say combo, stroked turbo'd v10, what do y'all think.....

Shawn

Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 AM
the Goat
Senior User
I think the factory displacment and compression is set up pretty nice for a supercharger(roots or twin screw type). I don't think a trubo setup would be a good fit for the v10.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Holy crap...as is the v10 has a longer stroke that the 6.0L DIESEL! I don't think it needs anymore.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:26 PM
triton's best
Junior User
me and a few friends tried to design a turbo setup for the v-10 but it was too hard with the placement and lack of space. we did turbo a 4.2 v6 f150 and now we're gonna do twins on it since everything is forged and ported. the only problem is there is so much boost on the v6 that the 2 part intake manifold blows apart. the v10 could handle it but its just so hard to do.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I've been thinking along the lines of twin turbos for a V10 - Using a set of cheapo eBay headers as a start, a set of headers that would terminate with a turbo sitting on it at the front of the engine, one on each side. Then you'd only have to plumb the exhaust output side of the turbo.

I had a thread somewhere...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...?highlight=v10

I asked about sizing twins for a V10...

Also, visit that forum, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum126/

Lots of stuff in there...

Old 11-03-2007, 02:47 PM
triton's best
Junior User
you would need a big turbo that spools up late cuz there is so much exhaust pumpin that the v 10 would destroy a little turbo that sppols too early. theres also plenty of room for an intercooler.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 PM
TP83
Senior User
man if only i understood how this stuff works, i'd love to have twin turbos on a v10.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a site that offers a turbo. i've seen a couple posts when they were being designed, but no further info. since the crappy ford dealers aren't aware of the potental of the V10, and both Whipple and Kenne Belle stopped production of their root type blowers (due to lack of interest), i'm haven't been pursuing the forced induction like i was in the past.
http://www.silverstatemotorsports.com/home.htm

as for the stroker, try this web site. they can tell you more info about internals. my friend had a V10 idea at one time to purchase and rebuild one to handle some serious nitrous. he contacted them about hard core internals, and a stroker crank, and they had all the components he wanted except for the crank. they told him they had not developed a long stroke crank for the v10 at that time (that WAS 3 years ago too). so they may have one in the works buy now.
http://www.sullivanperformance.com/index.htm

Old 11-03-2007, 07:10 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
It doesn't take much to weld on some snot and then do a regrind and get a big offset on the crank pins and get shorter rods (4.6?) ... balancing though, that's another story.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:00 PM
the Goat
Senior User
Originally Posted by triton's best
you would need a big turbo that spools up late cuz there is so much exhaust pumpin that the v 10 would destroy a little turbo that sppols too early. theres also plenty of room for an intercooler.
With a properly operating wastegate there would be no issue with a small turbo being "destroyed" by the V10 exhaust. The reason you wouldn't want small turbo is it couldn't supply enough cubic feet of air to maintain the boost for the 6.8L at higher RPMs.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM
71convertible
Freshman User
Thanks to all for the replies, lots of good info there....

I, too, was thinking 2 smaller turbos. I'm not looking for any max rpm power, I want it down low for towing and occasional stop light take offs to embarass the little ricer wannabes. Nothing like not being able to keep up with the massive suv next to you to tame their egos a little.

It seems to me that I had seen stroker kits for the 5.4L. to kick it to 6.0L That should transfer over to the v10 right? Just guessing but 6.8 to 7.5? I know you'd have to have a custom crank cut or made but doable. Between that and turbo's, I'm thinking 700ftlbs or so of torque should really get my EX moving off the line .

I've visited the turbo/supercharger forums. Lots of good info there too. There seems to be a consensus there that the v10's bottom end is weak. I'm not sure if they are refering to the stock rods and pistons or the crank. The crank is forged so I would think it would handle some boost without problems. Thats another reason I'm thinking stroker, if you're going to have the bottom end torn apart anyhow, why not stroke it at the same time, its ONLY money right?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 AM
71convertible
Freshman User
Oh yeah, and now I'm really drooling thinkin about stabbing the twin turbo v10 into my 71 mustang convertible project. I'd probably have to weld a superduty frame under it to keep it from twisting in half!Shawn

Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
The only really well-known weakness in the V10's crank is the snout - driving a supercharger, with lots of boost, it'll break the nose of the crank.

There are support bearings out there - custom one-off stuff, most likely, although I do remember a member here posting about them being available somewhere on-line.

I can imagine the split-pin V10's crank will break when you get the boost WAY up - right at the crank-pin. With a 6-bolt main cap (two cross-bolted) the block isn't the issue...

As to stroking the V10, there aren't any crankshafts available - that's what I meant by "weld some snot on the crank pins and regrind it offset"...

Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A stroker kit changes the crankshaft. A 5.4L crankshaft has 4 rod journals, a 6.8L V10 crankshaft has 5 split-pin rod journals. No, a stroker kit for a 5.4L will not at all transfer over to a V10. Boring out the V10 would be another matter entirely, and tat is something that you could actually do. I'm not sure how much, but it is possible.

If you wanted a max performance V10 with boost, buy a set of 10 forged rods and pistons for a 5.4L that give you somewhere around 8:1 compression, and you're set. Turbos will be hard to fit - you'll probably have to do an STS-style setup with the turbos actually within the exhaust system, under the driver's and passenger's feet. Size wise, it all depends on how much power you want. A pair of properly sized T3s would probably still do you up to 500 hp just fine, and I think would still give you good response at low RPMs.

Honestly, though, were I interested, I would probably just look at either finding a used Whipple or just buy a Vortech setup. The Vortech setup claims a boost from 310 to 464 hp. If that's not enough for you, I'm not sure what is. Just keep in mind that the transmission will probably get upset with you after a bit, and that if you really want it to be reliable you're best off changing out the rods and pistons for some forged units.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM
71convertible
Freshman User
oops, little misunderstanding there, I was just refering to the cubic inch gain not actually using the 5.4 crank. 5.4 to 6.0 with stroker 5.4, v10 stroker crank 6.8 to 7.5L.

I also understood the weld the snot out of it . Thats what I meant with custom made.

Good to know about the snout, hadn't caught that one yet.

500hp sounds great to me, I was thinking remote mount exactly. Lot of room under my EX. for playing. Little heat shield, little sound deadener, some turbos equals big smiles!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stroked V10?