Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 06:17 PM
yalebldg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator

I have a 1995 F150 4.9l 100K, stock.

My alternator has given up. Where do I buy a new one. New or Remanufactured? What brand? Motorcraft or not?

Any installation tips?

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2002, 03:00 PM
BrianL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator

Well I had the same problem with my 95. Go to advance auto and buy one there. They have the best price, they beat auto zone by $100 and Fords by $300. I paid $150 for mine. I think they are remanufactured and I don't think they even make new ones to fit this model anymore. Anyway with advance auto you get the lifetime replacement. I think I am gona have to take mine back and get another one after 1 1/2 years. For some reason Fords alternators just don't last and I don't know why. The alternator is easy to replace. Just put a socket wrench in the square hole loosen the belt and then take off the belt. Unbolt it from the bracket and put on the new one. Pretty easy job.

Brian

Old 10-05-2002, 07:53 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternator

In the car biz, any alternator that has a lifetime warranty, but needs changed out in 1.5 years, is probably rebuilt from a company that you'd be better off not buying things from.

It really does matter where you get your new and rebuilt parts from (unless you just love replacing things on your truck needlessly), and some parts stores carry electrical parts from less-than-worthy rebuilders.
Now one alternator does not make the case (because that can happen to any of them at one time or another), but I'd stick with buying an alternator from a place you know garages get their parts supplied from (garages lose a lot when they have 'come backs' that need replacing for free in a short period of time, so they tend to only use rebuilt and new parts that they've come to realize don't commonly fail).

I know NAPA tests their alternators before they leave the stores, and that they supply a lot of garages. Some other parts stores might supply garages in your area - but AUtozone and Pep Boys are more just retailers for the common public, so I wouldn't trust them as much.
There again, I'd probably stay away from NAPA electrical fuel pumps based on the come-back reports I've got...

Anyway, you'd be well served to ask around and see what your local shops think of different suppliers for different parts.

Best,

Old 10-06-2002, 04:40 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternator