Quick question about initial timing and distributor location.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about initial timing and distributor location.

is my procedure correct?:

Set to TDC by hand. Mark #1 plug mark with distributor centered, put in distributor and have the rotor pointing at that #1 plug. Adjust as needed to get it to start and then adjust with a timing light?
my biggest issue is the low amount of movement I can do with my distributor.. hit's something on one side, hits something on the other.

and which way do I turn the *rotor* to advance timing when moving up a tooth? clockwise, right? if I can't advance it enough, I lift up the distributor, turn the rotor clockwise and drop it back in when it catches the next tooth?

one more thing, it doens't hurt the engine to turn it manually backwards, does it? I had someone tell me I shouldn't do that, even an inch to line it up with TDC.. I'd never heard that before but wanted to check first..

thanks

I'm chasing a few ignition problems at the moment and I want to make sure I'm not screwing something simple up first..

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
so i'm not the only one chasing problems.

clockwise does advance. you can turn the body of the distributor when out but the tooth issue is not changeable ... the rotor has to be at #1 but body anywhere.

I've never heard of not turning an engine backwards...could be if there is a aux system on a belt that can't go backwards????

Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
<!--StartFragment --> If you are starting fresh and installing a distributor in a new or rebuilt engine, then you will need to bring the number one cylinder up to top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke. Note: Make sure you are on the compression stroke or you will be 180 degrees out on the timing. If necessary, have someone spin the engine over while holding your thumb over the number one spark plug hole until you feel it "blow", and this will be your compression stroke. Turn the engine by hand to line the timing mark up to 0 on the balancer. Once this is established, drop the distributor in the block (without the cap) and point the rotor toward the terminal you want to designate as number one. Once the distributor is installed and all clearances have been checked (see Topic 1), re-install the cap. Now, add the spark plug wires and follow the firing order starting with the terminal that was designated as number one. Leave the vacuum advance disconnected and plug the vacuum line. Your engine should now be ready to start. Crank the engine and adjust the distributor until it fires. Once the engine is runnning adjust the initial timing to about 10-12 degrees before top dead center (BTDC) while it is idleing at 750 rpms or less. Once initial timing is set, lock the distributor down and recheck the timing. Plug in the vacuum line and go for a road test. Make sure there is no pinging under hard acceleration. If pinging is detected, retard the timing until it is eliminated.

www.PerformanceDistributors.com

Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
update: turning engine backwards....can displace distributor if not bolted down....still haven't found any other reason not to do it...but there may be....thought i'd let you know what i found.

perf dist dude din't mention that you have to align the rotor with #1 while positioning the vacuum where you want it prior to stabbing the dist. seems ok other than that.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Set the crank at 10 btdc before you put the dist in & you will not have to jump it a tooth.