Tundra Dually? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Tundra Dually?

  #1  
Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
SMIGGS's Avatar
SMIGGS
SMIGGS is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,452
SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
Tundra Dually?

To go along with the "What a Truck" thread here is another...

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...radually1.html
 
  #2  
Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
chaseface84
chaseface84 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 262
chaseface84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That thing is even uglier than current one and it looks like they got the tailgate problem solved. dont include one
 
  #3  
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is online now
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 78,594
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Who in their right mind could have ever imagined that the 2007 Tundra could get any uglier?

Who styled this thing...the myopic Mr Magoo? This thing is hideous!
 
  #4  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 PM
DonJames
DonJames is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 476
DonJames is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pretty ugly. I dont understand why they bother to slap duals on there if they still never proved themselves to have a good enough frame to handle the payload a dually would anyways. Excessive bed bounce is caused by a weak frame also. The frame is the backbone to every vehicle. You also rate the capacity or strength of something by its weakest point. The frame is weak and its the backbone! Pretty scarry.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0
 

Last edited by DonJames; 10-30-2007 at 06:22 PM.
  #5  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 PM
irishammer
irishammer is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 488
irishammer is starting off with a positive reputation.
The inside of that turd is uglier than the outside...looks like calf chit brown out of an old Plymouth Volare....YIKES!!!!!!
 
  #6  
Old 10-30-2007, 07:11 PM
condolan
condolan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 333
condolan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a problem that needs to be addressed:

Where the hell is that truck going to park? Those new Tundra's take up every inch of space they can get at the Ford/Toyota dealership where I work...the longbed 4-doors are almost too long to get into the Toyota bays (which are smaller than the Ford bays because up until late, they were big enough).

People in my state have been driving pickups for a long time. All the towns have narrow downtown streets and everybody has narrow driveways where my old (new to me) '84 F150 will hardly fit.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the other trucks are bigger than ever. But this Tundra takes the cake...and it's got the weaker parts! Toyota just doesn't have any experience building big pickups...it'll be a while before they figure things out.
 
  #7  
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM
BigF350
BigF350 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 18,795
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
I actually kinda like the way they did the dually fender flares.

The rest of the truck (in particular - the interior, and more specifically the instrument cluster) not so nice...
 
  #8  
Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 PM
BLK94F150
BLK94F150 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: None of your business
Posts: 3,077
BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.BLK94F150 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by condolan
Toyota just doesn't have any experience building big pickups...it'll be a while before they figure things out.
I think we've all heard this before. I think Ford, GM, and Dodge were saying this in the 70s and 80s with Toyota's cars.


Now everyone says it about thier trucks. It won't be long before Toyota has an HD diesel.

They will not rest until they have total market domination. It might not happen in the first 10 years, it might not happen ever. But they will definitely try and definitely take even more market share from the "domestic's" bread and butter lines.

What is really wrong with the Tundra? Bad tailgates? Easily fixable. Some bad initial cams? Already fixed.

Mike

Edit: I don't always like to be the one beating the Toyota drum around here, but someone has to talk some sense. The writing is clearly on the wall in day glow flouresent, glow in the dark, 72pt font, italic, bold, underlined paint.
 

Last edited by BLK94F150; 10-30-2007 at 09:54 PM.
  #9  
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 AM
osbornk
osbornk is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marion, VA
Posts: 2,511
osbornk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.osbornk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by condolan
Here's a problem that needs to be addressed:

Where the hell is that truck going to park? Those new Tundra's take up every inch of space they can get at the Ford/Toyota dealership where I work...the longbed 4-doors are almost too long to get into the Toyota bays (which are smaller than the Ford bays because up until late, they were big enough).

People in my state have been driving pickups for a long time. All the towns have narrow downtown streets and everybody has narrow driveways where my old (new to me) '84 F150 will hardly fit.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the other trucks are bigger than ever. But this Tundra takes the cake...and it's got the weaker parts! Toyota just doesn't have any experience building big pickups...it'll be a while before they figure things out.
You park them the same place you park dualies of Ford, Dodge and Chevy. It couldn't be any larger than my brother-in-law's F-350 4 door long bed dually sitting in my driveway now.

The only way to get experience building big trucks is to build them. They didn't have any experience building big cars either but the Lexus is a top notch car now
 
  #10  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:48 AM
SMIGGS's Avatar
SMIGGS
SMIGGS is offline
Posting Guru
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,452
SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
Mike
Edit: I don't always like to be the one beating the Toyota drum around here, but someone has to talk some sense. The writing is clearly on the wall in day glow flouresent, glow in the dark, 72pt font, italic, bold, underlined paint.
Your not alone here.....

As for the truck, Personally, I think it looks better than the new SD. ( my opinion of course ) Let me add before the linching party gathers, I do like the new SD.
I rank them in this order:

1. Dodge
2. Ford SD
3. Tundra Dually ( if it were available )
4. Chevy/GMC

Keep in mind these are all opinion.

I don't like the interior and that shifter has got to go..... ( dually Tundra )
 

Last edited by SMIGGS; 10-31-2007 at 08:54 AM.
  #11  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
ghunt's Avatar
ghunt
ghunt is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarksburg WV
Posts: 3,608
ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
GOD that interior is ugly. ewwww!

Also, if they were to actually produce that truck with an 8.0L diesel I would **** my pants. People would buy it thinking it was so cool, then bitch because it got 8 mpg around town.
 
  #12  
Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
jimandmandy
jimandmandy is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Running Springs CA
Posts: 5,228
jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Just a SEMA show truck, but what an engine, 8L I6! Note the 2600rpm redline on the tach.

Jim
 
  #13  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
chaparro
chaparro is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: town near el paso tx.
Posts: 173
chaparro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Everybody calm down. If DOHC reads these posts about this "ugly" I mean nice truck, his is going to be real mad.
 
  #14  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 PM
kermmydog's Avatar
kermmydog
kermmydog is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Western Central NV
Posts: 9,177
kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I think we've all heard this before. I think Ford, GM, and Dodge were saying this in the 70s and 80s with Toyota's cars.


Now everyone says it about thier trucks. It won't be long before Toyota has an HD diesel.

They will not rest until they have total market domination. It might not happen in the first 10 years, it might not happen ever. But they will definitely try and definitely take even more market share from the "domestic's" bread and butter lines.

What is really wrong with the Tundra? Bad tailgates? Easily fixable. Some bad initial cams? Already fixed.

Mike

Edit: I don't always like to be the one beating the Toyota drum around here, but someone has to talk some sense. The writing is clearly on the wall in day glow flouresent, glow in the dark, 72pt font, italic, bold, underlined paint.
I AGREE with you. I have said it before here if & when Toyota enters the BIG TRUCK market it will wake up Ford, GM, & Dodge. I like the looks of the truck. The interior is really nice. It looks like at least not only Dodge knows what a real diesel is but so does Toyota. I-6. If V8 diesels were better you would see them in all over the road big rigs, but you don't I-6s.
 
  #15  
Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 AM
duramaximizer
duramaximizer is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,079
duramaximizer is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Originally Posted by FTE Fred
I actually kinda like the way they did the dually fender flares.

The rest of the truck (in particular - the interior, and more specifically the instrument cluster) not so nice...
I agree.

I love the 8.0 since they can get it in there. Whether it works like it should is completely different.

Toyota's aren't known for bad mileage BTW.


Furthermore, cylinder configuration has nothing to do with anything big rig related. They are making huge displacement I4's V6's and V8's for use in "Heavy Duty" equipment. There are 2 reasons for I6...it's tradition.....and it's tradition.

Configuration anymore seems to be whatever and however the engineers can most easily get stuff stuffed under the hood and make it most user friendly and servicable. It's not about hp, torque, reliabilty, balance, or anything else.

Everyone says overhauls are easier on an I6, but who overhauls a pickup? Let alone anything else besides a semi. Even that is questionable at best compared to the price of a guaranteed reman engine. Not to mention pulling a 6.4 out of a ford is nothing short of a Miracle. GM's and Dodge seem to be about the same even though they are of different cylinder configurations.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tundra Dually?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.